About This File
Name: Tales of Cyrodiil
Oblivion Script Extender
Elys Universal Silent Voice
DarNified UI (with the option for smaller fonts) or any similar mod that reduces the fonts' size
"Some of the greatest adventures have had their starts in smoky, noisy taverns." - The Daggerfall Manual, p.58
Tales of Cyrodiil adds 14 quests for you to embark on. These adventures are inspired by some of Daggerfall's side quests you can get from innkeepers and shopkeepers. Unlike Daggerfall, the Tales of Cyrodiil are unique and not randomly generated. Also, I've greatly expanded them by adding new outcomes, dialogues and ways to complete them.
The quest givers can be found in most of Cyrodiil's cities. One can be found in a roadside tavern. Asking about rumors in town may lead you to adventures. Want to know where to find the quest givers? Check the bottom of the document.
Quests vary from the classic "fetch me this" to more complex adventures, though even the most basic have a lot of dialogue to make them interesting and have multiple ways to complete them. Impersonate a coward at a duel, lend a hand to a noble who mistakenly gifted fake gold ingots to his contacts, lift the curse from a wraith's skeletal hand, help a noblewoman in preventing her husband's ransom... or betray her and save him, and more.
In addition to the quests, completing vanilla Oblivion's quests will increase or decrease your disposition towards NPCs and factions, depending on how you complete them. For example, taking care of our favorite paranoid Wood Elf in Skingrad will net you a better reputation with the town's citizens, in particular with the three people the Wood Elf targeted. On the opposite, botching a Thieves Guild job will lower your disposition with your guildmates and probably the factions linked to that quest, if any. Note that these changes are done in a separate script, meaning that no changes have been done to Oblivion's vanilla scripts, therefore making this compatible with mods that change Oblivion's quests.
- Time limit
Most quests must be completed in a limited time. Some are days, others are weeks. Bandits won't hold someone hostage foverer. You'll always be informed of the time limit. Failing to complete the quest in time will result in failure.
- No essential NPCs. No essential items
Indeed, most of the related quests' NPCs can die and most quest items can be dropped or sold. For most quests, the death of quest NPCs will result in failure. Don't worry though. The NPCs stay inside cities so the only way they could die is if you had a hand in it. For items, you'll always be able to tell the NPC you lost the quest item, resulting again in a failure...but that could be a lie and it'd allow you to keep the items for yourself.
- Skill checks in dialogue
In most quests, you can bargain your reward using Mercantile. You may also be able to use Speechcraft. To identify skill checks, you will see [M] or [ S ] before your answer, for Mercantile and Speechcraft, respectively. Having Luck of 60 or more helps with skill checks.
- Voiceless, choice-based dialogue
Most of the quest dialogue is choice-based, allowing you to ask questions about the task, accept or refuse it and bargain your reward. Some topics are also added when, for example, you ask around for directions to one of the NPCs or a location. Finally, all the new dialogue is not voice acted.
- Pre-quest, present-quest and post-quest rumors
People will have rumors to say before the quest, during the quest and after the quest. They vary depending on the outcome, if you fail or succeed the quest.
- On the importance of faction relations
Some of the quests have optional paths if you are a specific faction member or if you have good relations with them. For example, in A Noble's Debts, being a Thieves Guild member or having good relations with them will allow you to receive a letter from the Guild to give you hints on where the lost loan is located.
- No new dungeons or locations
Quests NPCs are placed inside the game's cities and the quests take place inside vanilla locations only. The dungeons used for those quests are existing Oblivion dungeons that have no quest linked to them. This allows for greater compatibility, preventing conflicts with mods that add new locations or change the landscapes.
Most quests reward the player with gold, others give not too powerful magical items. All quests give a faction relation bonus/malus with the city in which the quest takes place or the factions that were implicated in the quest. For example, helping a nobleman from Cheydinhal will give you better disposition with the nobility in general and the people of Cheydinhal. On the opposite, botching a quest or betraying your quest giver if the opportunity arises will drop your disposition with the related factions. After all, the quest giver will talk about how good or bad you did his job with his friends and neighbors.
Most quests use Oblivion's leveling system for difficulty as I believe it easier for balance. Some NPCs are fixed, though. Overhauls that changes Oblivion's default leveled lists for equipment will work with Tales of Cyrodiil.
- Oblivion XP integration
Users of Oblivion XP will be rewarded for completing quests, succeeding at skill checks in dialogue and will receive a small amount for failing quests.
- Optional quest markers
By default, quest markers for Tales of Cyrodiil's quests are disabled. Sufficient descriptions and directions are given to find a location or an NPC. If you still want to use quest markers, you will have the option on the first quest you accept.
If you change your mind afterwards, open the console window and input the following command :
set TOCConfig.QuestMarkers to 1
Open Cities/Open Cities Reborn
Oblivion Uncut (minor conflict with the quest To Assist the Fate. You must complete Oblivion Uncut's Broken Promises quest before doing Tales of Cyrodiil's To Assist the Fate or you won't get access to Broken Promises Cave)
Wolfdol Castle Alessia (A trap door will appear north of the castle in the fort ruins to access Oblivion's Fort Alessia dungeon. This will allow you to complete To Assist the Fate)
Minor incompatibilities :
Legion-Occupied Forts (An enemy NPC and creature are added to Fort Alessia and Fort Chalman. The worst that'll happen is that these two enemies will attack the legionnaires and those two quests' storyline won't make much sense, but you'll be able to complete them.
May be incompatible with other mods that changes the layout of the following dungeons :
- Belda, Broken Promises Cave, Doomed Mine, Fort Alessia, Fort Chalman, Fort Homestead, Fort Wariel, Lipsand Tarn, Nornalhorst, Shattered Scales Cave, Talwinque.
None... at the moment!;)
You may contact me on the Nexus with my username, Cliffworms.
Note that I tend to leave for some time, so I may not reply immediately.
Thanks to InsanitySorrow for his ReadMe Generator this file is based on.
Thanks to Bethesda for creating Oblivion.
- Trollf for his Divine Shields resource
- Bad Andy for his DIvine Armor ressource
- Khugan for his Gold Bars resource
- Puddles for the Pants of Venom Spitting mesh and texture
- AndalayBay for the his help on making Oblivion XP work with Tales of Cyrodiil
- Vortex DrAgOn and Daneel53 for the DFQRCEdt utility
- The Daggerfall Dev Team
- Dave Humphrey and the contributors for The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Main_Page
- The OBSE team for passing through every barriers they see.
- Elys for Elys Universal Silent Voice OBSE plugin. Because of you, we can now freely mod dialogue without worrying about creating hundreds of silent lip-synched voice files!
- ShadeMe andThe Construction Set Extender Team for bringing the CS updates we desperately needed.
- Bethesda for the Oblivion CS.
Insanity's ReadMe Generator
Construction Set Extender
DFQRCEdt utility - Nifty tool to open and extrapolate dialogue data of Daggerfall's quests, which I used for inspiration.
You can do whatever you want with this, all I ask is that you give full credit for any work used.
I would also appreciate you letting me know where the work was used.
Quest list and locations
Marcurio Orius and Gualtierus Turrianus are in conflict to gain the love of Elorya Hawkham. Gualtierus challenged Marcurio to a duel. The problem is, Marcurio is no fighter and he's seeking a sword for hire to impersonate him and win the heart of Elorya.
Rumors are spreading about a Redguard named Iminda. Apparently, he has taken a goblin for a lover, he keeps slaves, is a pariah or even beats his spouse! Needless to say, Iminda wants to put a stop to those rumors and is looking for an investigator to find the source of those false spreadings.
-A Mix Up- (Fame/Infamy >= 10 or Hero of Kvatch/Master of Fighters Guild/Arena Grand Champion/Mages Guild Arch-Mage required)
A Khajiit has had his emerald stolen by someone... who looks like you! Could it be really you?
A nobleman's friend had the brilliant idea of giving him false gold bricks as a gift. That nobleman had the even more brilliant idea of giving them away to his allies. The problem is, he has now realized they were fake and they've already been given away. Retrieve at least one of them and you will be rewarded. Retrieve them all and you'll be handsomely rewarded.
-The Daedric Stone-
An Altmer sorceress is searching for a daedric lodestone for her research. Her assistant, another Altmer, arrived in Cheydinhal to hire someone brave enough to recover it from Ayleid ruins filled with conjurers and daedra. The dremora guarding it may have another plan in mind...who will you trust?
-To Assist the Fate-
Noblewoman Morgorya Coppercroft received word that her good-for-nothing, cheating husband named Theodyn Coppercroft has been captured by bandits and held for ransom. Of course, Morgorya doesn't want to ransom Theodyn but his cousin wants to. You may complete this quest in multiple ways...
-The Telvanni Duel-
At the Foaming Flask in the Imperial City, a furious Dark Elf from Sadrith Mora is causing a bit of a ruckus. He keeps drinking and challenging the unfortunate patrons to a duel. Will you be the one to accept his challenge?
-A Noble's Debts-
A merchant loaned gold to a nobleman under the condition that the merchant keeps a deed to a valuable piece of property. Now, the nobleman vanished without a trace and the deed was stolen. This has hit the merchant's finances pretty hard and he seeks someone to find the deed, retrieve the loaned gold or, if all fails, find the nobleman.
-The Wraith's Hand-
A very anxious man is looking for a courier to deliver a skeletal relic to a priest. Rumors say this hand used to belong to a vengeful spirit who still wanders Tamriel looking for it...
Argonian Kal-Ma of Leyawiin is beyond herself with grief. Her husband has been captured by the Thieves Guild and those good-for-nothing outlaws are asking a ransom or they will kill their hostage. Will you use fighting, diplomacy or wits to solve the case?
-A Rare Book-
An Argonian savant in Skingrad would like to hire an adventurer to recover the ancient tome "Vampires of the Illiac Bay" from Ayleid ruins nearby.
Browen, a down-on-her-luck traveling merchant staying at the Two Sisters Lodge in Skingrad, has been betrayed by her former business partner. Indeed, Browen was going to warn the authorities when she discovered that her partner was involved in smuggling. In fact, her partner hired a courier to deliver false accusations about Browen to Wayrest's Guild of Merchants. Browen is looking for someone to intercept the courier before he reaches Wayrest and sneak in a letter in his backpack denouncing her partner and remove the false accusations about her. Will you be quick enough?
-The Barbarian Duel-
At the Imperial Bridge Inn, an Orc Barbarian is seeking an opponent for a duel to the death. Needless to say, nobody, even the drunk Imperial Guard who visits the inn, has accepted.
-An Unexpected Journey-
A Wood Elf staying at Bleaker's Way's inn is seeking an adventurer for an unknown but certainly dangerous task given by his master. The master promises 500 gold to the adventurer who will complete this mysterious task. Will you be the one?
What's New in Version 1.0.4
2019-01-27 - 1.04
- The Ransom : Fixed crash when loading the Drunken Dragon Inn.
- The Ransom : Removed the "Ula" topic from Kal-Ma.
- A Noble's Debts : Fixed the bug preventing Chulmore Quill from saying his opening lines.
- To Assist the Fate : The bandits' hideout greeting bandit will appear only if you've discovered its location.
- Two Cowards : Changed duel's location for players with Open Cities Reborn.
- The Ransom : Game time will advance one hour while waiting for Ula's release in the Drunken Dragon Inn.
- The Wraith's Hand : Added hints about the priest's schedule in the Arcadius Menelius topic.
- The Telvanni Duel : Changed the duel location to the main bridge outside the Imperial City to avoid the inn's patrons from jumping in the fray and killing each other.
- A Noble's Debts : Added a couple of dialogue for the Fort Wariel topic to direct the player to discover the fort's location.
2019-01-07 - 1.03
- The Ransom : Fixed crash when ransoming Ula with the gem
- Daedric Lodestone : The stone will now properly vanish once the quest is complete
- A Mix-Up : Fixed some rumors that would be shared before the quest would be active
- Defamation : Iminda will no longer roam the streets, depending on the outcome
- To Assist the Fate : Morgorya will no longer try to greet you in an endless loop if you initiated dialogue and later failed the quest
- The Ransom : Added a new way to complete the quest if you are the Gray Fox
- Defamation : A possible reward for the quest, the Pants of Venom Spitting, now have a unique mesh and texture (Thanks, Puddles!)
- The Ransom and Defamation : Ula and Talib, two NPCs you need to escort, will go in sneak mode if you do.
- The Switcheroo : Added drinks for sale to Emfrid at the Grey Mare
- The Switcheroo : You can now persuade Emfrid to unluck the courier's room
- Quest markers added for Open Cities/Open Cities Reborn
- Added a longer silent file (15 seconds) for the dialogue (replaces Ulys' Silent Voice's 8 seconds file)
- Once you turn in/fail a quest, a message at the top left will inform you of any reputation changes towards people or factions.
- A Mix-Up : Re-wrote some journal entries for less confusion
- Daedric Lodestone : The Dremora will no longer be summoned if conjurers are nearby. This is to prevent her from attacking them.
2018-09-15 - 1.02
- Fixed compatibility with Unique Landscapes - Silverfish Valley River
2018-09-14 - 1.01
- Removed unused references and topics that caused errors in TES4 Edit.
2018-09-08 - 1.0
- First release