About This File
Oblivion XP Update
Oblivion XP Update is a full update to SirFrederik's Oblivion XP mod. It has several bug fixes and script optimizations that utilize the new features and functions available in the newer versions of Oblivion Script Extender. This version offers significant performance improvements over the previous versions.
This is a complete self-contained package. It does not require the original Oblivion XP - everything is included in this update. This is being released as an upgrade to the original Oblivion XP mod because the changes are quite extensive and with most of the scripts being completely rewritten.
Existing users will be able to install this update and continue with your current games. You should not lose the progress you have made. You will need to follow the upgrade instructions in the readme file because the location and contents of the ini file have been changed.
For those unfamiliar with Oblivion XP, it is a levelling system replacement. The Oblivion levelling system is based on skill use to improve the skills themselves and their associated attributes. However, for many players this has turned out to be a tedious exercise that forced them to use skills that did not fit their roleplaying experience in order to improve certain attributes. It also required a certain degree of "micromanagement" if you wished to get the maximum attribute bonuses when you increased in level.
Oblivion XP aims to change all that. It brings the experience point reward system to Oblivion. You gain experience points for performing a variety of actions, including completing quests, killing monsters, picking locks or discovering new locations. When you accumulate enough experience points, you will gain a new level. Upon gaining the new level, you spend points to increase your attributes and skills. You no longer improve your skills by using them. You earn experience points by action and spend an allotted number of points on skills and attributes to improve them, anyway you wish, when you level-up.
SirFrederik is the original author of this mod. He devised the mathematical formulae that control the number of points you need to level and the number of experience points you receive for various actions. The system he designed is complete and operates as a balanced and comprehensive unit. I will not be altering any of this underlying logic. He also made Oblivion XP extremely customizable through settings in the ini file so that this system would work with a variety of playing styles.
Oblivion XP 4.2.0+ requires OBSE 21 Beta 3 or above. shadeMe has added a custom event handler that allows major performance improvements over the previous versions. It also requires MenuQue version 15 or newer.
See the readme file (Oblivion XP Readme.pdf) in the download for the installation instructions, a full description of all the changes and other important notes.
Friends of Oblivion XP
Friends of Obivion XP is a prestigious group of mods in which the mod authors have taken the time to build Oblivion XP support into their mod!
When you complete quests in these mods, you will be awarded experience points. Oblivion XP only has a small amount of work to do to process these points, so performance is greatly improved. Also, this code is only run for mods that you actually have loaded and if the mod author changes the mod, you will get those changes as soon as you download the new version of the mod!
Kragenir's Death Quest
The Ayleid Steps
AFK Weye (external patch written by dwip)
Cliffs of Anvil (part of Unique Landscapes)
The Eastern Peaks (part of Unique Landscapes)
Dark Brotherhood Chronicles: Awakening
The Black Marshes
Kvatch Rebuilt 3.x
Sneaking Detection Recalibrated
Tales of Cyrodiil
Third Party Mod Support
As of version 4.2.3, all quests will be rewarded a base number of points. When SirFrederik released Oblivion XP, he included support for 21 mods. These mods are still explicitly supported and will continue to generate a customized number of points upon completion of the quests.
Here is the list of mods that have support built into Oblivion XP:
Arrows of the Ayleid King v1.8
Blood & Mud
C&C - The Blackwood Company v1.0.2
Daggerfall Memories - The Liberation of Cybiades v2.1
Gates to Aesgaard Ep. 1 v1.1
Glenvar Castle v2.10
Heart of the Dead v5.3
Integration – TSL
JQ Assassin Quest v1.0
Midas Magic v0.990
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul v1.34
Ruined Tail's Tale v3.0.1
Servant of the Dawn SI v2.25
Tamriel Rebuilt – Stirk v1.2
Tears of the Fiend v1.2.2
The Dungeons of Ivellon v1.8
The Lost Spires v14
Verona House – Bloodlines SI v1.2
I will list the patches currently available in this section. As of version 4.2.3, these are now optional, but if you have room in your load order, I recommend you use them. The point rewards are customized for each quest, whereas the base point reward will be much smaller.
A Brotherhood Renewed
AFK Weye (patch written by dwip)
Kvatch Rebuilt 1.1 (works with 2.x, no longer needed in 3.x)
As of version 4.1.9, translating Oblivion XP is as simple as translating the ObXP_strings.xml file. See the readme for full details.
Just download the translation package and copy the ObXP_strings.xml file to your Data\Menus\Strings directory.
- Italian by FatalIllusion
- Japanese by nkyhiro
- French by Sita. Updated by Gameruper. Sita also translated the new initialization line.
- Simplified Chinese by dantebelmondo
- German by Klaus. Vikke translated the new initialization line.
- Russian by Chai Pei
- Hungarian by Morghean
- Polish by clockworkcity. Updated by sabbath91, who also translated the new initialization line.
Please see the Oblivion XP Readme.pdf file for the complete change log.
I wouldn't be able to do this alone! Thanks to:
- Bethesda for creating Oblivion.
- SirFrederik for creating Oblivion XP.
- Tejon for some hints and a sample script to fix the summoned creature bug.
- Javert93 for his help in analyzing, testing and fixing the miscellaneous stats bug.
- Kyoma for his help in fixing the miscellaneous stats bug. Also for his help with the menus. Kyoma completely overhauled the menus for version 4.2.3. I really can’t thank you enough, dude.
- TheNiceOne for his help in demystifying Oblivion XML and the Darnified UI.
- Phitt for his suggestions on the new skill cost progression. Also for his help in testing.
- Amadaun, Klaus, samuro_, Tatts4Life, FatalIllusion, Trademark, Ysne58, Blandings and numerous others for their help in testing.
- shadeMe for adding the quest completion event handler to OBSE. Also for the Construction Set Extender which makes creating mods so much easier.
- saebel for awarding assassination XP in SDR and for his help in sorting out the poison script.
- forli for the progress bar update fix.
- Milotek for helping to sort out the poison kill script.
- forli, Leonardo, Milotek, PuzzleFord, lefenger and Wolfheart for their help in testing 4.3.x.
- Haikem for the Nexus Mod Manager installation script.
- DavidJCobb for his help in making Oblivion XP compatible with Northern UI.
- LHammonds for the Readme Generator that the readme file was based on.
Contact me and obtain my permission before re-packaging any part of this mod. This file may not be uploaded to other sites without my permission. If I do not respond within 4 weeks, feel free to do whatever you like with this mod.
SirFrederik's original license terms: Please do not use any part of this mod without asking for permission first – contact me on BGsForums or send an e-mail to *email address removed* . If I haven't responded within 4 weeks, you may assume I agree to your request.
What's New in Version 4.4.5
- fixed prompt to initialize Oblivion XP after first level-up bug
- fixed bug in point award for reading scrolls
- deleted generic_background75.xml. No longer used.
- cleaned up menus. Parameterized more elements, removed duplicate definitions. Fixed text wrap length so the menu works with other languages.
- changed colour of skill cost text to make it easier to see.
- fixed level-up menu for high resolution monitors (1440p and above).
- enhanced Shivering Isles location discovery. Previously it only gave a static number of points. Now you'll get a varying number of points based on distance to nearest city.
- added option to hide HUD message log completely. See messageLogVisible variable in ini file. If you hide the message log, you should turn off the XP gained chime too (messageSoundXP). Replace your Oblivion XP ini file with the one from this package. Back up your ini before installing the new package so you can copy your changes over. DO NOT use the old ini file.
- made Oblivion XP compatible with Northern UI thanks to DavidJCobb.
- added NMM installation script created by Haikem. Thanks Haikem!
- updated installation scripts for new package structure.