• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

Tools and Utilities

Yeah, I'd appreciate more detail on what you did there V. :)

Very little really. I just used Windows to search for *_far.nif from the extracted BSAs, dumped all the _far.nif files into a single folder within Meshes, loaded CS, dragged all the meshes into the Static list, saved the new ESP and ran TES4Files. The end.

These are tools or utilities that you'll use to make your game run better, so I prefer to keep everything in one place.

Do you think this list of Tools and Utilities posted by saebel should be included here or even be reposted and have the same format it has now on BSF?

I might take a few from saebel's list and add them to mine.

Why not do the opposite, I mean add your list of tools and utilites to saebel's list of tools and utilities.

One Tool is Missing!

TESAnnwyn

Isn't that tool for Morrowind and not for Oblivion?  I found this thread, which tells you that TESAnnwyn only support Morrowind.  So I am not sure if TESAnnwyn is a working tool for Oblivion or not.

One Tool is Missing!

TESAnnwyn

Isn't that tool for Morrowind and not for Oblivion?  I found this thread, which tells you that TESAnnwyn only support Morrowind.  So I am not sure if TESAnnwyn is a working tool for Oblivion or not.

I've used it for Oblivion.

You can also use OBMM to view nif files in the internal Nif Viewer.

I can't get that feature to work.  In reaserching the issue it appears not to work on 64 bit operating systems, at least according to this old thread.  Were you able to get it to work on a 64 bit OS?  If there is a solution to the issue it would be appreciated and a good edition to this thread.  Having a simple nif viewer that can peek inside bsa files sounds handy.

I can't get that feature to work.  In reaserching the issue it appears not to work on 64 bit operating systems, at least according to this old thread.  Were you able to get it to work on a 64 bit OS?  If there is a solution to the issue it would be appreciated and a good edition to this thread.  Having a simple nif viewer that can peek inside bsa files sounds handy.

What OBMM e.g OBMM or OBMM-Extended did you tried to use the Nif Viewer feature?

I think you need to extract a nif file from a BSA first before you can view a nif in the Nif Viewer.

I can't get that feature to work. In reaserching the issue it appears not to work on 64 bit operating systems, at least according to this old thread. Were you able to get it to work on a 64 bit OS? If there is a solution to the issue it would be appreciated and a good edition to this thread. Having a simple nif viewer that can peek inside bsa files sounds handy.
What OBMM e.g OBMM or OBMM-Extended did you tried to use the Nif Viewer feature?

I think you need to extract a nif file from a BSA first before you can view a nif in the Nif Viewer.

I'm using the original OBMM, not the extended version. Nif Viewer crashes immediately on launch, so I can't even try to load a nif file because the Nif Viewer never opens. As soon as I try to launch it, I immediately get a message saying this program stopped working.

I suspect the NIF viewer in OBMM would only work with an old version of Windows. In 64 bit Windows, the game directory is stored completely differently in the registry. I suspect the NIF viewer can't find the game path and crashes. TES4Gecko has a similar problem. Fortunately it has a properties file that you can edit manually to fix the problem.

I'll add TESAnnwyn to the list.

Link for my use: http://projectmanager.f2s.com/morrowind/TESAnnwyn.html

Could someone give me a link for Milkshape 3d please?

I can't get that feature to work. In reaserching the issue it appears not to work on 64 bit operating systems, at least according to this old thread. Were you able to get it to work on a 64 bit OS? If there is a solution to the issue it would be appreciated and a good edition to this thread. Having a simple nif viewer that can peek inside bsa files sounds handy.

I'm using the original OBMM, not the extended version. Nif Viewer crashes immediately on launch, so I can't even try to load a nif file because the Nif Viewer never opens. As soon as I try to launch it, I immediately get a message saying this program stopped working.

Why are you using that? It's more than 8 years old now. Update to TES Mod Manager, which is the latest and current version of OBMM. If this feature still does not work then report it in the Nexus comments thread so monpetitbeurre might look into fixing it.

NifSkope is a much better choice for viewing NIF files however, I've never bothered using any version of OBMM for this task.

Why are you using that? It's more than 8 years old now. Update to TES Mod Manager, which is the latest and current version of OBMM. If this feature still does not work then report it in the Nexus comments thread so monpetitbeurre might look into fixing it.

NifSkope is a much better choice for viewing NIF files however, I've never bothered using any version of OBMM for this task.

Well, I use Wrye Bash for all my mod managing needs. The only reason I installed OBMM was for the Bsa Browser. I like the UI of bsa browser better than bsa.opt. But then I saw OBMM had a nif viewer so I thought I would see how that feature works. Not a biggie if I can't get it to work. I just thought it would be interesting to poke around in and maybe a good way to start to learn about meshes before diving into nifscope.

The reason I downloaded the old version of OBMM was that's the one linked in this thread for the bsa browser.

Could someone give me a link for Milkshape 3d please?

Google is your friend.

https://www.google.se/search?q=milkshape+3d+free&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&ei=_f27WLSLOvHk8Afj2pj4DA

Trust me, I tried that before asking for a link.

Andalay: http://www.milkshape3d.com

That's the best I could find, not sure if there's a newer link anywhere.

Neither one of those seem to be the version Arthmoor and I were using for creating Far NIF files. They might be the same, but the descriptions seemed different. I'll ask Arthmoor.

Yes, the one at milkshape3d.com is the one I was using. Pretty sure version 1.84 on the download link is what I had too.