• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Introduction to TES4Edit, TES5Edit, FO3Edit, FNVEdit

Level: Beginner

This guide is a brief introduction to the series of utilities created by ElminsterAU. There is TES4Edit, TES5Edit, FO3Edit and FNVEdit. All the versions offer the same functionality; each is tailored to the plugin file structure for the game it supports. I will focus on TES4Edit, but all the information will apply to the other versions. I will use the term TESxEdit to refer to the program in general.

What is it?

TES4Edit is a supplementary editor that is used by mod authors and players alike to work with plugins, or mod files. It has a ton of features, but is used most often to view the contents of plugins, edit them and to clean them. It does not replace the Construction Set.

Where can I download it?

The main version of the utility is the Skyrim version, which can be downloaded from Nexus. You can rename the executable to make it work with the other games, but I recommend searching Nexus for the specific version to match your game so that you get the custom data files.

Installation

Simply unzip the archive in a directory of your choice. I like to create a Utilities directory for each game and then I unzip the archive to an appropriate directory in there. So I install TES4Edit to D:\OblivionUtilities\TES4Edit and TES5Edit to D:\SkyrimUtilities\TES5Edit. I have many other utilities in addition to TESxEdit, so that structure suits my set up. I don't recommend installing TESxEdit in your game directory.

Create a shortcut to the program on your desktop or Start Menu.

Running the Program

Technically it's still an experimental version, so backup your plugins before loading them into TESxEdit. When you run TESxEdit, you will be presented with the plugin selection dialog. All the plugins in your Data directory will be listed, with the plugins that are active in your load order checked off for you. At this point, just click Ok to load all your plugins.

xEdit Intro1

While TESxEdit is loading your plugins, you'll see lots of Background Loader messages in the pane on the right side. Wait until you see the Background Loader: finished message.

xEdit Intro2

Your plugins are displayed in the left pane. If you click on the + symbol next to a plugin, you'll see all the records that have been modified or added by that plugin. At a glance, this is the easiest way to see what a plugin changes. All plugins are actually patches to the original game master, like Oblivion.esm, so you will see that some records override the original game records. Here's an example from the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp to illustrate:

xEdit Intro3

In the left pane, the Form ID, Editor ID and Name are listed. The Form ID is the unique identifier that the Construction Set assigns to every record. The first two digits of the Form ID will be 00 if it is an original game record that is being modified, as is the case in the image above. The Form ID on new records added by a plugin is dynamic; the first two digits will change to reflect the position of the plugin in your load order. That's how the game ensures that all Form ID's are unique.

The Editor ID is a unique name that the modder assigns to the object. That is the ID that we work with when we are creating or editing a mod. The Name is also assigned by the modder and it's the name you see in-game when you place your mouse cursor over an object that you can interact with.

The right pane is where all the details are displayed when you click on a specific record. In the screen shot above, I have selected the Strong Poison of Burden record. Since I have loaded all my plugins, the right pane displays the same record from all the plugins that modify that record. The first version of that record is from Oblivion.esm and you can see that all the text is a reddish purple. That means that it's the master record that has been modified. The next column shows the record from the Unofficial Oblivion Patch.esp, which is the mod I'm looking at. However, in this case, this record has been overridden a second time by my Bashed Patch. The mod that is listed in the last column is the "winner" and that version of the record is what I will see in-game.

Now, let's take a closer look at what was changed. The fields that have been changed will have a yellow background. The first field that's been changed is the FULL - Name, which is the Name of the object. The object is called Strong Poison of Burden in the original game and the Unofficial Oblivion Patch (UOP) does not change this, so the text is grey. I have a mod that changes all the potion names and I have imported that into my Bashed Patch, so the Name is different in my Bashed Patch. The next field that has been changed is the ENIT, which is the internal label for the value of the potion. Further down you can see that the UOP changes the magnitude of this potion.

We'll finish this section off by opening the Container branch in the UOP. Now you'll see lots of different colours. First, I've clicked on the DungNecroCoffin01 record to show you what a conflict looks like. A conflict is when you have two mods that change the same record in very different ways. If you look at the first two changes, you'll see there is no conflict. The background colour is yellow and the text is green.

xEdit Intro4

However if you scroll to the bottom of the page, you'll see the conflict. The UOP changes the open and close sounds, but I have the Harvest Containers mod loaded and that removes the sounds altogether. Even though it is a conflict, there is no problem. TES4Edit is just highlighting the fact that the sounds have been modified.

xEdit Intro5

At the bottom of the container record list, you can see what new records look like. The background colour is white and the text is black. The Form ID starts with 08 because the UOP is the ninth mod in my load order. If we click on one of the new records, we'll see that we just see the details of a single record in the right pane.

xEdit Intro6

Once you're done perusing the plugin, close TESxEdit. If it pops up a dialog about saving the plugins, deselect all the plugins by clearing the check mark next to the names and click OK.
If you would like more information on how the records and fields are named internally, the UESP has a full list of those details. Here is the listing for Skyrim.

Conclusion

This completes my introduction to TESxEdit. I will explain how to edit plugins, clean plugins, compare plugins and how to add a missing master to a plugin in future instalments. Edited by AndalayBay