AndalayBay

[WIPz] TES3Gecko

I extracted the archive and was just about to install when notice the TES3Gecko Output.txt file and I thought what's this, so open it in Notepad++ (after failing opening it in Notepad which only allows files up 50 Kb I think) and scroll down a little when I saw these GMST.

GMST
    NAME: sSaveGameTooBig
    STRV: There is not enough space to save this game. Free up at least %i blocks and try again.
GMST
    NAME: sSaveGameNoMemory
    STRV: Unable to create Save Game. Free up 100 blocks and try again.
GMST
    NAME: sMaximumSaveGameMessage
    STRV: You have reached the limit of Morrowind saved games. Please delete a Morrowind saved game and try again.

You might need to check the changelog for MCP since there is a patch for the well known gamesave issue due to for having way too many saves (more than +200 in MCP while I consider +500 is too many)  into the Morrowind\Saves folder in-game or even better ask Hrnchamd about those GMST here.

Have just launched TES3Gecko and the first thing I notice was the TES3Gecko window looks strange.  It seems to me that it isn't optimized for someone who have a 1920x1080 resolution monitor and TES3Gecko app window doesn't fit like this.

weird App window

I suggest to have the summarized option by default since most people doesn't care or have the knowledge about GMST in general unless you're a modder and/or know what you're doing.

Oh I almost forgot...  Why not let TE3Gecko load the official esm (Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm, Bloodmoon.esm) if checked via a TES3Gecko "Load Bethesda Masters" setting similar to what Wrye Mash has. :)

I extracted the archive and was just about to install when notice the TES3Gecko Output.txt file and I thought what's this, so open it in Notepad++ (after failing opening it in Notepad which only allows files up 50 Kb I think) and scroll down a little when I saw these GMST.

GMST
    STRV: There is not enough space to save this game. Free up at least %i blocks and try again.
GMST
GMST
    STRV: You have reached the limit of Morrowind saved games. Please delete a Morrowind saved game and try again.

You might need to check the changelog for MCP since there is a patch for the well known gamesave issue due to for having way too many saves (more than +200 in MCP while I consider +500 is too many)  into the Morrowind\Saves folder in-game or even better ask Hrnchamd about those GMST here.

Where did you see Output.txt?  There shouldn't be a file of this name in the archive, and the application shouldn't be creating one either.

Have just launched TES3Gecko and the first thing I notice was the TES3Gecko window looks strange.  It seems to me that it isn't optimized for someone who have a 1920x1080 resolution monitor and TES3Gecko app window doesn't fit like this.

Did this happen when you maximized the application?

I suggest to have the summarized option by default since most people doesn't care or have the knowledge about GMST in general unless you're a modder and/or know what you're doing.

This would be an easy change.  In any event, we will set it up so that it remembers your last setting.

Oh I almost forgot...  Why not let TE3Gecko load the official esm (Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm, Bloodmoon.esm) if checked via a TES3Gecko "Load Bethesda Masters" setting similar to what Wrye Mash has. :)

There is a check box below the Open button on the ribbon with the caption "Load Masters".  This will load whatever masters your plugin uses.

GMST
GMST
GMST
You might need to check the changelog for MCP since there is a patch for the well known gamesave issue due to for having way too many saves (more than +200 in MCP while I consider +500 is too many) into the Morrowind\Saves folder in-game or even better ask Hrnchamd about those GMST here.

Where did you see Output.txt? There shouldn't be a file of this name in the archive, and the application shouldn't be creating one either.

brucoms accidentally uploaded that to the public section some months ago and Leo grabbed it before I moved it to the private section. That's part of brucoms' analysis stuff. :)

GMST
GMST
GMST
You might need to check the changelog for MCP since there is a patch for the well known gamesave issue due to for having way too many saves (more than +200 in MCP while I consider +500 is too many) into the Morrowind\Saves folder in-game or even better ask Hrnchamd about those GMST here.
Where did you see Output.txt? There shouldn't be a file of this name in the archive, and the application shouldn't be creating one either.

brucoms accidentally uploaded that to the public section some months ago and Leo grabbed it before I moved it to the private section. That's part of brucoms' analysis stuff. :)

Aah, that explains it! I just tested the program and the file was not generated.

Where did you see Output.txt?  There shouldn't be a file of this name in the archive, and the application shouldn't be creating one either.

Oops it seems DS is correct about this and I just checked.  Sorry for the confusing.

Did this happen when you maximized the application?

Yes it does happen otherwise I wouldn't have notice it.

There is a check box below the Open button on the ribbon with the caption "Load Masters".  This will load whatever masters your plugin uses.

Does that also applies for all masters regardless what mod(s) you want to check in TES3Gecko?

If so then you misunderstood me, because I didn't mean an option like that and what I mean is to only load Bethesda's official esm in TES3Gecko no one else.

I reinstalled TES3Gecko and now it doesn't generate GMST I had earlier.

This is awesome because not only you see a dialogue topic in TES3Gecko.  You'll also see a quest ID the actual dialogue topic belongs to at the same time and that's just brilliant. :D

Does that also applies for all masters regardless what mod(s) you want to check in TES3Gecko?

If so then you misunderstood me, because I didn't mean an option like that and what I mean is to only load Bethesda's official esm in TES3Gecko no one else.

Right now the application checks the MAST sub-records in the TES3 record of loaded plugins for master dependencies, and loads those masters if the checkbox is ticked.  It does not have a list of Bethesda versus other masters.  Are you proposing that it always load the three original masters (Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon) regardless of the plugins being loaded?  These take a while (especially Morrowind.esm), so we thought that it might be nice for that to be optional.

Right now the application checks the MAST sub-records in the TES3 record of loaded plugins for master dependencies, and loads those masters if the checkbox is ticked.  It does not have a list of Bethesda versus other masters.  Are you proposing that it always load the three original masters (Morrowind, Tribunal, Bloodmoon) regardless of the plugins being loaded?  These take a while (especially Morrowind.esm), so we thought that it might be nice for that to be optional.

No not exactly always load Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm, but more as an option if the user needs it.

You know what I mean is similar to how it works in TESPCD like this.

check plugin tespcd

check plugin masters loading tespcd

All official masters is automatically loaded and that's what I mean if a "Load Master" option is checked.

I'm not 100% sure on what you're asking Leo. We already have that with the whole Load Masters checkbox, unless you're suggesting to have an option where you can automatically load those three masters without having to load another plugin?

I'm not 100% sure on what you're asking Leo. We already have that with the whole Load Masters checkbox, unless you're suggesting to have an option where you can automatically load those three masters without having to load another plugin?

Yes that's exactly what I mean for a separate option when loading Bethesda's masters if it's feasible of course. :yes:

I got the impression that the "Load Masters" option always load a master regardless what mods you want to check, so if I understood it correctly it means to load both an unofficial master(s) e.g TR_Data.esm, TR_mainland.esm and all official masters Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm, Bloodmoon.esm if the "Load Masters" option is checked.

Yes that's exactly what I mean for a separate option when loading Bethesda's masters if it's feasible of course. :yes:

I got the impression that the "Load Masters" option always load a master regardless what mods you want to check, so if I understood it correctly it means to load both an unofficial master(s) e.g TR_Data.esm, TR_mainland.esm and all official masters Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm, Bloodmoon.esm if the "Load Masters" option is checked.

That's correct. Load Masters will load any masters that it finds in the plugin files.

That doesn't sound like a bad idea actually.

Ah, cool, it's out!

Any possibility of making a tree structure in the UI? Loading Morrowind.esm is kinda painful with all the records being listed in the first level :P

Hello, good work on this. I can see some stainless steel coding's gone into it ;)

Here's my feedback on 0.0.1

• Installer - ability to define where and whether Start Menu shortcut is created (e.g. I'd want mine in Game Progs\Morrowind\TES3Gecko)
  • Attempted to open a save game file (.ESS) --> "TES3gecko has stopped working"

Not sure if planned to include opening savegame files at some point; record structure is simlar to ESPs and ESMs. Some extra records IIRC.

There's an updated ESTemplate.ini (record definitions used by the Enchanted Editor) in the Wrye Mash install which Wrye added a lot of ESS record info into.

• Header - HEDR - change "company name" to "author" :)
  • Header - Description - Parsing seems a bit off.

TES3Gecko:

"Fixes many aspects of the game.

(requires Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm & Bloodmoon.esm to run)*s quest & bug fixes.

(requires Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm & Bloodmoon.esm to run)"

* is unprintable character symbol (that rectangular one)

Enchanted Editor:

TES:CS:

• Summarised view.

If I select in left hand pane

Activator > furn_bannerd_alchemy_suran

Right hand pane should display all subrecords. Should be similar to how TES*Edit displays information.

• Have you checked out the Enchanted Editor GUI?

http://mw.modhistory.com/content/screenshots/1ae10a01f2d73168.jpg

Not the best screenshot as it doesn't show subrecords.

I seem to remember some people having trouble running it on Win8 though

• Summarised view.

Records are not sorted alphabetically within their group

e.g. "furn_bannerd_alchemy_suran" comes before "active_sign_ald-ruhn_01"

Not sure if related to "in Summarized view for large plugins such as Morrowind.esm the record summary areas are not sorted correctly."

• Subrecords.

Select a subrecord. Right-hand pane shows subrecord value, subrecord type (NAME, MODL, FNAM etc.) and subrecord size

I can't think of a time when someone would need to know the subrecord size.

When using TESPCD the size of a subrecord being different between two otherwise identical subrecords can lead to it being flagged as different.

• Rename "simple" to "list"?
  • "Friendly" names for subrecord types?

E.g. The value of the ITEX ID is the texture path to the icon. Enhanted Editor has this as "IconPath"

• Closing an open plugin via little X on its tab doesn't seem to work.

No other obvious way of closing open plugins in GUI, add "Close active plugin" to main dropdown menu?

• With two versions of the Morrowind Patch Project open (multi-megabyte ESMs) Exit took a long time, well it didn't seem to work (killed via taskbar).

A smaller plugin exited fine.

If data is being unloaded before exit then some kind of progress indicator?

• When plugin is already loaded into TES3Gecko checking the "Load Masters" checkbox does nothing. Disable it or allow retrospective loading of a plugin's masters
  • When loaded the tab title for Morrowind.esm is in grey text; presumably because it's a Bethesda ESM. Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm aren't similarly displayed.
  • Enabling "Load Masters" then opening a plugin where the required masters aren't in Data Files leads to a crash. "TES3gecko has stopped working"
Liking how this is looking :thumbsup: Whilst I've posted a lot of things I hope you'd rather get feedback now rather than later...

Hello, good work on this. I can see some stainless steel coding's gone into it ;)

Here's my feedback on 0.0.1

Great feedback. Thanks very much.

• Installer - ability to define where and whether Start Menu shortcut is created (e.g. I'd want mine in Game Progs\Morrowind\TES3Gecko)
  • Attempted to open a save game file (.ESS) --> "TES3gecko has stopped working"

Not sure if planned to include opening savegame files at some point; record structure is simlar to ESPs and ESMs. Some extra records IIRC.

There's an updated ESTemplate.ini (record definitions used by the Enchanted Editor) in the Wrye Mash install which Wrye added a lot of ESS record info into.

• Header - HEDR - change "company name" to "author" :)
  • Header - Description - Parsing seems a bit off.

TES3Gecko:

(requires Morrowind.esm, Tribunal.esm & Bloodmoon.esm to run)*s quest & bug fixes.

* is unprintable character symbol (that rectangular one)

Enchanted Editor:

TES:CS:

• Summarised view.

Right hand pane should display all subrecords. Should be similar to how TES*Edit displays information.

• Have you checked out the Enchanted Editor GUI?

http://mw.modhistory.com/content/screenshots/1ae10a01f2d73168.jpg

• Summarised view.

Records are not sorted alphabetically within their group

e.g. "furn_bannerd_alchemy_suran" comes before "active_sign_ald-ruhn_01"

Not sure if related to "in Summarized view for large plugins such as Morrowind.esm the record summary areas are not sorted correctly."

• Subrecords.

Select a subrecord. Right-hand pane shows subrecord value, subrecord type (NAME, MODL, FNAM etc.) and subrecord size

I can't think of a time when someone would need to know the subrecord size.

When using TESPCD the size of a subrecord being different between two otherwise identical subrecords can lead to it being flagged as different.

• Rename "simple" to "list"?
  • "Friendly" names for subrecord types?

E.g. The value of the ITEX ID is the texture path to the icon. Enhanted Editor has this as "IconPath"

• Closing an open plugin via little X on its tab doesn't seem to work.

No other obvious way of closing open plugins in GUI, add "Close active plugin" to main dropdown menu?

• With two versions of the Morrowind Patch Project open (multi-megabyte ESMs) Exit took a long time, well it didn't seem to work (killed via taskbar).

• When plugin is already loaded into TES3Gecko checking the "Load Masters" checkbox does nothing. Disable it or allow retrospective loading of a plugin's masters
  • When loaded the tab title for Morrowind.esm is in grey text; presumably because it's a Bethesda ESM. Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm aren't similarly displayed.
  • Enabling "Load Masters" then opening a plugin where the required masters aren't in Data Files leads to a crash. "TES3gecko has stopped working"
  • I'll see what the installer lets me do for placing the shortcut. I understand the requirement.
  • I'll add it to the list.
  • 'nuf said :)
  • Understood.
  • I'll have to look at how this is displayed in 'Edit.  I don't know what you mean at the moment.
  • I did have a look at a number of tools, including the Enchanted Editor.  I personally found many of the existing tools pretty confusing, so I will need to get some feedback on how folks are actually using the tools so that I understand the workflow.
  • We do have some problems with the sorting of the summary level labels, but I didn't consider sorting the lower level Ids - I will look into that.  Thanks for reading the readme, by the way :)
  • The view is pretty raw right now; we can easily remove the size.  This would have no bearing on the matching as the size is part of the data whether we display it or not - the matching rules would need to be reviewed at the data level.
  • A better name than mine.
  • This is doable.
  • That part hasn't been implemented yet.  It is on the list.  I will add a close option on the ribbon and the file menu as well.
  • I am guessing that this is related to item 14.  There should be no delay on closing, and the application should not crash.  I suspect that there are some state management problems to debug.
  • This annoys me too when testing.  When you do click on Load Masters checkbox, would you like a popup warning you of the time it will take to load the masters (and allow you to change your mind), or just go ahead?
  • The grey tabs are indications that the plugins in question are still being loaded.  You should see the progress bar continue at the bottom of the window while this is happening.  The Morrowind.esm tab should eventually blink in like the others when it is done.  I suspect that you tried to shut the application down while this was happening, resulting in the problem reported in item 12.  I will work on the crash, although I would be interested in how to better indicate what is going on.
  • I was aware of this but didn't get the fix into this build.  Sorry about that.

Liking how this is looking  :thumbsup: Whilst I've posted a lot of things I hope you'd rather get feedback now rather than later...

Once again, thanks for the time and effort to test and write this report. One of the good things about "stainless steel coding" is that it can put up with a certain amount of corrosion without losing its finish :)

Ah, cool, it's out!

Any possibility of making a tree structure in the UI? Loading Morrowind.esm is kinda painful with all the records being listed in the first level :P

Did you check out the Summarized option in the View section of the ribbon?  I'll admit that the ribbon presentation needs work, but does the resulting tree do what you want?

I tried to launch TES3Gecko in the Utilities tab in WMSA and it worked as intended.  The only thing I notice when I launched TES3Gecko from WMSA is that WMSA will stop responding for a couple of seconds, but that seems to be normal.

Summarised view.

##################

I'll have to look at how this is displayed in 'Edit. I don't know what you mean at the moment.

Select in left hand pane:

Right hand pane displays all subrecords without further user interaction:

NAME = furn_bannerd_alchemy_suran

MODL = f\Furn_bannerD_alchemy_01.NIF

FNAM = Ibarnadad: Apothecary

SCRI = OutsideBanner

Have you checked out the Enchanted Editor GUI?

http://mw.modhistory...a01f2d73168.jpg

##################

I did have a look at a number of tools, including the Enchanted Editor. I personally found many of the existing tools pretty confusing, so I will need to get some feedback on how folks are actually using the tools so that I understand the workflow.

Not sure if you saw the manual, CHM format, or not. May help understand it better than just being confronted with the program alone.

With two versions of the Morrowind Patch Project open (multi-megabyte ESMs) Exit took a long time, well it didn't seem to work (killed via taskbar).

##################

I am guessing that this is related to item 14. There should be no delay on closing, and the application should not crash. I suspect that there are some state management problems to debug.

When loaded the tab title for Morrowind.esm is in grey text; presumably because it's a Bethesda ESM. Tribunal.esm and Bloodmoon.esm aren't similarly displayed.

##################

The grey tabs are indications that the plugins in question are still being loaded. You should see the progress bar continue at the bottom of the window while this is happening. The Morrowind.esm tab should eventually blink in like the others when it is done. I suspect that you tried to shut the application down while this was happening, resulting in the problem reported in item 12. I will work on the crash, although I would be interested in how to better indicate what is going on.

Curbed my impatience this time and things worked as you described, no pause on exiting even with the three Bethesda ESMs and the MPP ESM loaded.

When loading masters would a progress bar in the middle of the program rather than in the status bar indicate better to unobservant types like me that things are happening? When masters are being loaded can the user actually do anything? If they can't then a modal progress bar (is that the right word? basically user can't do anything until progress bar disappears).

Some more thoughts:

Is it possible to alter the File Open dialog and add the "Load Masters" checkbox there? I'm not sure if that should be as well as where it is now or instead of. It's just my forgetful brain has clicked the Open button, browsed to and selected a plugin to load and then remembered that I'd like to load the plugin's masters too.

If #13 can be implemented then this would not be necessary

When plugin is already loaded into TES3Gecko checking the "Load Masters" checkbox does nothing. Disable it or allow retrospective loading of a plugin's masters

##################

This annoys me too when testing. When you do click on Load Masters checkbox, would you like a popup warning you of the time it will take to load the masters (and allow you to change your mind), or just go ahead?

In two minds about a popup warning. If the popup could have one of those "Check this checkbox if you don't want to see this message again" options then fine, if the popup would appear every time then it would get annoying.

If a checkbox in the popup like I described can't be implemented then I'd say to not have a pop-up at all, experience in using the program (and the readme, which everyone reads) would mean people would soon realise the implications of loading plugin masters.

Script records in Summarized view. Expanding the Script group is not a good thing to do. Rather than using Script Name from Script Header (SCHD) it's displaying the whole Script Text (SCTX) in the left hand pane.

I've (once) opened a plugin and some of the record type groupings (Header, Book, Light etc.) were replaced with "?"; not sure what you can do with something like this where there're no clear steps to reproduce. I'm not aware what I did differently to cause this behaviour.

Over on Bethsoft abot posted this:

[EDIT]The more tools the better, but as there are other tools doing what listed already, I suggest a single feature not properly 100% covered by other existing tools: a TEStool-like merge objects working with long mod lists

Not sure how it fits with your planned feature set but it'd be a sure fire to make this one of the most popular third party tools out there.

If you've no idea what a Merged Objects plugin is I assembled an explanation on the Morrowind Modding Wiki.

Script records in Summarized view. Expanding the Script group is not a good thing to do. Rather than using Script Name from Script Header (SCHD) it's displaying the whole Script Text (SCTX) in the left hand pane.

I think expanding the Script group is a good idea, but it would be annoying in the long run if the whole script is in the left pane, instead view the entire script in the bottom right pane while the top right pane is for displaying records plus subrecords if necessary.