• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Arthmoor

Request - Preserve Order of Dialog Topic Changes

There isn't any as far as I can see. It's just a matter of when Shroob comes to the realization himself at this point.

I can't tell for sure, but it looked to me like what he was doing was correcting bugs in the order of voiced "Hello" topics so that they'd no longer be blocked from playing. With the game and CS having none of it though, I don't see it working out. I can't imagine trying to manually edit things the way he wants outside of the CS is going to end any better.

So Gecko doesn't need to worry about the order then? It sounds like Gecko can clean these edits out.

Scratch that. Sorry Jac, I didn't see your post. Thanks for the info!

Edited by AndalayBay

I don't know if his changes were too large a chunk for it to handle or what, I only did one subset of the things he was doing, maybe 10 records at most, and it choked on that. Or, well, it choked while LOADING that since the file saved properly as far as TESAME is concerned.

I wonder if there's a pattern there. As to why Thepal's changes persist and Shroob's do not. I'll play around with it and see if I can find out anything.

The easiest way to re-order dialog is to add/change the filters for the line(s). In Morrowind, dialog is "read" from the very top most line down a line to the very last one until the engine finds one that can be displayed based on its filtering. If none of the filters apply, nothing will be displayed for that topic, which is why every NPC doesn't have something to say about every topic. I think in this case, duplicating the entries and adding/changing filters would be better than trying to rearrange the lines themselves. It could very well be that the order is hardcoded and if it's changed, the CS and/or MW itself will just scramble them. Anyway, it's not a good practice to follow given the issues.

I think as far as cleaning goes, the INAM, PNAM, NNAM records should match the originals, and if they don't, clean them. But have an option to where the user can disable that if the mod author recommends it. Messing with the default dialog in Morrowind is very tricky and not something I recommend.

What Jac said! Instead of getting frustrated over an old bethesda asset, Shroob should follow what the modders before him had been doing - actualy read dialogue editing hints and follow them; in this case being: duplicate the entries and place them above originals as I and Jac had been referring to this way of solving the issue.

Edited by Skrawafunda

When the CS or the game scrambles the order, is it a new order or is it the order the responses were originally in?

For example:

Original order of responses:

• [*]Response A [*]Response B [*]Response C

Changed order:

• [*]Response B [*]Response C [*]Response A

Scrambled order:

• [*]Response C [*]Response B [*]Response A

OR (is it being reverted):

• [*]Response A [*]Response B [*]Response C

Quick note. Apparently EE needs an ini file for template data to be updated, which Wrye Mash conveniently has a copy of. I put that in the folder with EE's executable and now when I examine the INFO records the INAM, PNAM, and NNAM subrecords agree with what TESAME says they should be.

So it looks like the CS saves the data ok, but then scrambles it on reload, and the game scrambles it in the same way.

All in all rather frustrating.

I don't know if this work or not, but how about merge the template ini into the Morrowind.ini in a new ini section e.g

[template]
then launch the game.

Just to see if it recognize the subrecords INAM, PNAM, NNAM in the INFO record in the same order you notice in both EE and TESAME.

When the CS or the game scrambles the order, is it a new order or is it the order the responses were originally in?

They load in a different order from the original unedited responses. Although it at least seems consistent in the order it reloads them in so it's not some weird randomly scrambled mess.That order also appears to be consistently the same even if I make a second plugin that uses Tribunal and Bloodmoon as masters.

What Jac said! Instead of getting frustrated over an old bethesda asset, Shroob should follow what the modders before him had been doing - actualy read dialogue editing hints and follow them; in this case being: duplicate the entries and place them above originals as I and Jac had been referring to this way of solving the issue.

That or changing the random chance that those greetings will be said to something low, like <= 10 or >= 90, and increasing the random chance that the other lines would be said. I can understand what he's trying to do, but all he's doing is just hitting his head against the wall for no good reason.