• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Schtearn

Win 8.X CS Black Screen o' Misfortune

Just having a peek at xulBRAyleidWaterworks03 Cells: Interior Data (and other tabs)  but DX style black screens kick in fairly rapidly.

Can't switch out- except to logoff.

It's practically unusable.

Shouldn't be a problem with mod setup (at least the game is fairly stable), if there isn't, any "insider" tweaks to make it a little more UF?

Edited by lmstearn

Is this just the base CS? Have you tried putting the shortcut in any kind of compatibility mode? Does this happen with any other cells?Unfortunately I don't know anything about Windows 8 other than the fact that I have no intention of using it. :)

Running it in compat for XPSP3.

And this through a shortcut:

@ECHO OFFECHO.ECHO Don't close this window - close the Construction Set to exit.ECHO.ECHO.

REM check if d3d9.dll.null is in the same directory as the rename will fail and CSE will crash

IF EXIST "d3d9.dll.null" del "d3d9.dll.null" /Q

REM check if d3d9.dll is in the same directory as this batch file is run fromREM if it is then Rename it otherwise skip to running CSEIF NOT EXIST "d3d9.dll" GOTO StartCSE

ECHO Renaming Directx library...ECHO.REN "d3d9.dll" "d3d9.dll.null"

:StartCSEECHO Starting Construction Set Extended...ECHO.START obse_loader.exe -editor -notimeout

ECHO Waiting for exit...:LOOPtimeout /t 1 /nobreak > nultasklist /fi "IMAGENAME eq TESConstructionSet.exe" | find /i "TESConstructionSet.exe" > nulif errorlevel 1 goto ENDif errorlevel 0 goto LOOP

REM check if our renamed file is present, if it is rename it backREM otherwise just skip to exiting:ENDIF NOT EXIST "d3d9.dll.null" GOTO Finish

REN "d3d9.dll.null" "d3d9.dll"

:Finish@ECHO ON

On one black run, even the d3d9.dll.null and d3d9.dll got deleted.

Funny thing, the black screen freeze is not reported to the OS as a crash.

I often run through the extender. Funny thing it crashes (standard: no black screen) first attempt, and starts up okay next time round.

:excl: Might have a go at running this through Compatadmin. They have some DX throwback tweaks on hand.

I suggest that you report this to shadeMe and let him sort it out.

@Anda:  The batch file in the spoiler seems normal to me, but like you said I dunno how things work in Windows 8 and I too don't intend to use Windows 8.

@Leonardo: I get them with the unextended CS as well. We all know it's a little unstable, but this is different- something related to the loading of the game objects.

Windows 8 uses a different method of handling the window system. As a result, many interesting things occur when older programs (mainly from the XP era and earlier) are run under Windows 8.Have you tried with compositing enabled and have you tried with compositing disabled under the compatibility settings? Windows 8 greatly changed how compositing is handled.

Yeah, though disabling DWM isn't the best solution out there- eliminating forced vsync in windowed modes has a better answer in ENBoost fullscreen option.

Going to persevere with the CA, it looks pretty cool, and is quite well documented, albeit the last version being 2010.

Here's my "fixes", noting that it doesn't nest processes: running OBSE_Loader in CA is useless as Oblivion is launched from OBSE as a separate process. Moreover, as I saved the sdb, the CA doesn't allow the fixes to be edited (a minor bleeping annoyance) so you'll have to create your own.

The CS "fixes" are a shot in the dark, and probably won't be fully testing on this machine it for a while.

Edited by lmstearn

Have you tried compatibility mode for 7 and Vista? And, just to make sure, you've got the latest DX9 redistributable installed?I may need to see if the same things happen on my box. What are the steps you take to get the issue? I'll see if I can reproduce it when I get the opportunity.

Yes, will have to do a tutorial or something... sometime- the only way to get an exterior cell in the render window was through the region editor.

Beautiful work from Shademe! :D 

It might have occurred when 8.1 was installed on this rig- but unable to locate any record of attempts to make issue of it. However, at this time of writing, here's wishing for it to go and occur on another planet. Far away. :P

Think bDoHighDynamicRange is required for the OBGE- maybe others. At any rate, taken the advice here to adjust power plan settings. Still, it's a hard time trying to understand why Oblivion (esp. post crash) would, by design or error, ever tinker with things at the device level. At least Skyrim never repro'd it.

Again- we may hark back to the old Inn issue with ENBoost or the whacky drive assignments issue which are still live and well- indeed it's a vow taken in earnest to hang on to an aging and slighly borked system for no other purpose than necroing this thread in a couple of years time! :P

It's a major issue. Windows gets the programs nicely loaded up, but with devices and such it's a lot more involved, e.g with PCI.

Haven't played Oblivion (yet) from the last boot. There has been no black screen, but still get the boot_up_from_hibernate errors. Here's one with the DWM, and here's another caused by Chrome crashing, along with these:

Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort1, was issued.

:(

Edited by Schtearn

Here's a formal apology to Oblivion. The black screen (with mouse cursor) at boot up was not caused by you!

There's really little info on trapping these things- the NVIDIA logs tell nothing, neither do the Event Viewer, CBS or dism logs. No dumps. even a  DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE event cannot be triggered as there is "nothing wrong." This is something the MS diagnostics should provide- run a timer every few (say 10 secs) to check for a "black screen" Easy you say? Not if the system thinks there is no problem with the display. But even if the timer detects such a thing- what to do? Bringing back a display may not work so initiating an orderly shutdown and restart is best.

Is it possible for a fault to be in the monitor? As a matter of interest, for this model, the Samsung utils program is pretty rad!