Sue

Voice Acting Emporium

Hello all, I thought I'd get a forum going for Voice Acting.  There are a number of modders on TAL who would like to use voice actors for their mods and I'm certain there are people here who already voice act, along with others who would like to try. 

Voice acting is great fun and it's easy to get started.  You need a microphone, a recording program such as Audacity or Goldwave, and 7zip. Audacity and 7zip are free downloads, Goldwave is shareware.  You can upload zipped voice files straight onto TAL and some use cloud storage for others to download their files from. I use Box https://www.box.com/ which doesn't charge for a basic storage facility and this has so far been more than adequate, plus it is simple to use. Another option is https://soundcloud.com/ where you get 3 hours worth of voice space for free.

Voice Acting is great fun. You become engaged with the character you are portraying and there is nothing better than having a modder tell you you've got it right - that the character you're portraying is as they've imagined. The needs of the modder are of the utmost importance.  After all, the mod and characters within it are their creation.

So how did I get started with Voice Acting?  I've always had an interest in drama and began acting with amateur groups from the age of 12 back in 1972/3.  However, when I went to university in 1997, apart from pursuing drama and theatre through academic routes, I just didn't have time to act in any plays.  I began gaming for relaxation whilst at university and just loved it.  It was through gaming on Steam and being an active member on the Skyrim forum that I heard about Voice Acting.  About 3 years ago a modder posted a thread looking for VAs and that was the beginning. Lets turn this area into a lively one where questions can be asked and advice constructively given.  Lets also have fun and, along the way, give those who are interested in using our voices for their mods somewhere to come to and hear what members of TAL are able to do.  If you have a general question then please ask here, but if you wish to show those modders waiting in the wings what you can do please go ahead and introduce yourself in a separate thread.  If you wish for feedback on the example voice files you've posted in your thread just ask, I'm happy to give guidance and will help wherever I can. It would also be good to hear from those who are already familiar with the process involved in recording and cloud storage.

And on that note, I'll get things moving.........

Edited by Sue

I've always considered working on VA for my project, including helping other's projects, but I don't have the voices for all kinds of races. Right now I can't do any since I have a cold and my coughing is going crazy. But I like to consider my friend for VA, he can do all kinds of voices. Especially evil voices. If anyone wants to contact him please PM me to get information from him of what he can do. Right now he just moved into a place for him and to be with his roommate. So I will message him that he will do VA for mostly all of the projects.....maybe. Might be a few weeks.-DL

Edited by TheDarkListener34
Email removed

DL, try not to post people's email addresses like that. Leave them to private messages unless they're okay with it. Spammers may use them and people may NOT wish to have that information out there. :)

Edited by AndalayBay
Corrected typo

It's good to hear you have a friend who might be interested DL.  The aim of this thread is to encourage people to have a go and try their hand at VA.  It might be best if you suggest to your friend to have a look at TAL and the VA projects that are currently on going.  That way he'll have an idea of what TAL is about and what is current.  If he then wishes to introduce himself and post a few voice files that would be super.  I've introduced myself and what I can do in a separate thread, your friend could do the same. 

No experience is needed and I'm happy to advise people on what they need to do voice acting wise, so if anyone - your friend included - wishes to introduce themselves here and ask for help on how to get started please go ahead. 

In time, there will be a range of information in the Auditory Processing forum from voice acting tips to how to use recording programs. 

Are there lots of different roles Envy123? 

Our VA section is small right now, but it will grow and if you were happy to post some example lines we could see what people are able to do for you.  :)

Here:

=======
Roles
=======
= Demis Sentur
Voice Type: Male Imperial, looks young though he's ancient. A creator of imaginary worlds and becomes very aggitated if they're intruded upon.

Sample Dialogue:
1). {snide}Well, we're now back to the real world! Wakey-wakey, rise and shine!
2). {whisper}I know, I feel it.
3). Till then, goodbye and thank you.

= Andolroth Vilnic
Voice Type: Male Wood Elf. He acts like a spoilt brat and wants to have another expensive book, using his wife's money.

Sample Dialogue:
1). Yes. {Treats the player as if they're stupid}Books. I'm collecting lots of 'em. Have you ever heard of the "Feyfolken" trilogy?
2). Did you bring me the book yet?
3). I was always suggested to hunt crabs and fish like the rest of the folk in these isles.

= Archen
Voice Type: Male Wood Elf. The leader of the tribe on the largest island. He's very stubborn and hostile, and clings desperately to the ways of the Bosmer.

Sample Dialogue:
1). {licking lips}The pirates are dead and we're ready to feast on their bodies!
2). {Disdainful}Quite impossible. The boat is the only one we have. How could we ever be sure you would return it?
3). We are not like our brethren on the mainland.

= Boldur
Voice Type: Male Nord, sailor.

Sample Dialogue:
1). You made it! I was afraid we were the only ones.
2). Thank you! Glad you think so.
3). Well, I wasn't asking your opinion. I just stated my plan.

= Bosmer Hunter
Voice Type: Wood Elf, Male.

Sample Dialogue:
1). Stop it, you're making me blush!
2). Whatever.
3). Fine, we will let you go. For now.

= Brundeba
Voice Type: Nord, Female. Wife of Gvarni.

Sample Dialogue:
1). My husband will finally be able to rent out that upstairs bed. Not sure I'll be able to deal with all the noise...
2). See you around.
3). Yes, what is it?

= Captain
Voice Type: Redguard, Male. Captain of the ship "Dragonseye".

Sample Dialogue:
1). I'll show you what it feels like when your favorite thing is gone!
2). The sooner you get below deck, the better.

= Craelius Marcus
Voice Type: Imperial, Male. First is normal but then is traumatised by the wreck and starts to say silly things.

Sample Dialogue:
1). So blue, so pretty...
2). I haven't seen you around here before. So, tell me - what do you do?

= Emuset
Voice Type: Breton, Female. She's a naive noble who decided to build a Bruma home outside of Bruma.
**=will be in Elsweyr Pelletine as well.

Sample Dialogue:
1). I'm sorry, do I know you?
2). I really need to lie down or I fear I'll be dead.
3). And it's outside noisy Bruma. It's a win-win for the both of us.

= Scamp Guardian
Voice Type: Scamp, Male. He is guarding a very important artifact in the chamber, not to say he's particularly good at it.

Sample Dialogue:
1). You have the amulet. Good.
2). What can I say? I run fast!
3). Sure, fire away.

= Gvarni the Sea-Drake
Voice Type: Nord, Male. Owner of the Water Drake Tavern.

Sample Dialogue:
1). I'll now be able to rent out the bed upstairs. Isn't that great?
2). Welcome to the Water Drake tavern. Can I get you anything?

= Landorar
Voice Type: High Elf, Male. Keeps to himself and only comes back after the main quest.

Sample Dialogue:
1). I came back here, finding that everyone got slaughtered. Please, leave me in peace while I try to clean up this mess.

= Jawbreaker, Rugg
Voice Type: Orcs, Male. They were the guards of the ship and only have a line each to their name.

Sample Dialogue:
1). I'm Jawbreaker. I will break your jaw if you ever make the captain angry.

= Marius
Voice Type: Imperial, Male. One of the two surviving members of Prosperity.

Sample Dialogue:
1). Impatient, aren't you?

= Gildii
Voice Type: Wood Elf, Female. Typical blonde with blue eyes. The leader of the medium isle tribe.

Sample Dialogue:
1). Then, go away!
2). So the leaders are all banished? That's good! But that's not the end, no way!

= Olurion
Voice Type: High Elf, Male. Prefers to put wealth before morals. He's attracted to humans only and hates the cannibalistic ways of the Bosmer.

Sample Dialogue:
1). So, are you here to buy a ticket for the voyage of a lifetime?
2). And as promised, there will be riches beyond your wildest dreams.

= Sammanul
Voice Type: Dark Elf, Male. Prefers to put morals before wealth. Was an Ashlander on the mainland in the past.

Sample Dialogue:
1). The Deshaan District is the southern district of Morrowind, close to the Black Marsh border.
2). Boldur is a fool. Building a raft and sailing to the mainland will take days.

= Shrike
Voice Type: Wood Elf, Female. An elderly tribal leader.

Sample Dialogue:
1). A smooth-talker, aren't you? Fine, you win. Your comrades can roam the isles safely now.
2). What is it, herbivore?

= Thilly
Voice Type: Wood Elf, Female. A young wife (of Vilnic) who is unhappy about her husband's book obsession.

Sample Dialogue:
1). We all do, whether we like it or not.
2). About what? Wrecking ships?

= Town Crier
Voice Type: Imperial, Male.

Sample Dialogue:
1). Here's a flier for you!

= Uldib
Voice Type: Wood Elf, Male.

Sample Dialogue:
1). Yes, you are. I'm interested in the reasoning behind this. Spit it out.

= Volus
Voice Type: Imperial, Male. The other Prosperity survivor.

Sample Dialogue:
1). This can't be the stone. Looks really nice but can't be the stone.

= Vuldon
Voice Type: Orc, Male. Former guard of the Captain.

Sample Dialogue:
1). {sarcasm}More hold-ups. Great. I can't wait to be eaten alive by crabs.

Some characters are so major that they have a few hundred lines to their name. On the other end of the spectrum, I have characters who only utter a few lines. So yeah, a great variety of roles for any VA.
Edited by Envy123

If a friend of mine and I want to audition, do you have a specific place you want them posted or sent?  We were wondering about Valenwood.

Maybe AB can add you to the Valenwood Islands team and you can post them in the private forum. :)

That's great :)

Welcome NobleShadowHunter - we also have a section for VA's to post examples of what they've done.  If your friend needs any help or advice his/her own thread is a good place to ask.  :)

That's great :)

Welcome NobleShadowHunter - we also have a section for VA's to post examples of what they've done.  If your friend needs any help or advice his/her own thread is a good place to ask.  :)

Thanks.  Sorry about the late reply.  The house has been busy lately.  Do I need to put up a voice actor bio?  If so, where do I do that?