• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

Sid Meier's Civilization Discussion

About two days ago I couldn't play Civ Beyond Earth anymore for free, but it was worth the time I spent on playing it.

Anyway, today when I was out to do some errands I check one of the local game stores there is where I live for Civ Beyond Earth and how much it would cost, but 499 SEK is too much for a game that lacks a few things.

For instance you need to click on a mini map to *scroll* a messed up technology circle (I refer it as a circle as it displayed in a form of a circle).  Damn annoying and you definitely need a mod to make it more UI friendly that's for sure. :thumbdown:

I wasn't really all that impressed with the game. It felt too much like Civ 5 dressed up in futuristic clothing with the barbarians ramped up to 100 times the annoyance level. I mean, come on, start the game, have aliens on the map sitting just outside your only city? I had that happen plenty before I rolled a decent enough one to actually get some play time in. Plodded along for awhile, and frankly just got bored in the end and stopped. There just wasn't anything truly interesting enough to make it worth the time.

The game is probably worth picking up when it goes on sale for a big discount, but it's not something I'd pay full price for. Which is sad, cause usually Sid Meir does good stuff.

I wasn't really all that impressed with the game. It felt too much like Civ 5 dressed up in futuristic clothing with the barbarians ramped up to 100 times the annoyance level. I mean, come on, start the game, have aliens on the map sitting just outside your only city? I had that happen plenty before I rolled a decent enough one to actually get some play time in. Plodded along for awhile, and frankly just got bored in the end and stopped. There just wasn't anything truly interesting enough to make it worth the time.

The game is probably worth picking up when it goes on sale for a big discount, but it's not something I'd pay full price for. Which is sad, cause usually Sid Meir does good stuff.

I got the same impression too, but I do enjoyed the mini quests especially those that had a decision which could be either a good or evil in the future.

Agreed.  I decided to do exactly that when I notice how much Civ Beyond Earth would cost.  Indeed he does that.

I would advice you NOT do produce a trade convoy, because it was the most annoying stuff I have ever encounter in any Civ game and what I mean is the trade advisor.

Someone posted a link to an announcement that Firaxis did yesterday about a new game sort of a chapter two of Civ Beyond Earth and by judging the video it sounds promising, but still I'm a bit pessimistic though.

I won't buy it unless it fixes the annoying stuff I notice in Civ Beyond Earth.

So I just couldn't resist to buy this DLC package for Civ 5 on Steam today.

However, I can't figure it out how to get it working and all I got is a message in the Steam Client about installing the Civ 5 Ancient Wonder DLC, but when I continue there is an error saying that something isn't working.  Do I need to fiddle with the Steam Library?

Why can't things on Steam work like other stuff does, simple and easy to understand.  Anyway, does anyone know what am I doing wrong?

Things on Steam work a lot more easily than a lot of non-Steam things. Verify the integrity of the game cache, perhaps there was a problem when Steam attempted to install the new DLC.

Wonders of the Ancient World is another DLC, which can be bought in combination with the Korea scenario pack you linked to.

Something, which I dunno what it's, can and will overwrite my current graphic driver for Nvidia GT640 card (2 Gb VRAM) in-game and when it happen the result will be like this. :blink:

2015 12 04 00005

Only Civ5 with the expansions (GoK, BNW with/without mods, but I doubt this issue has to do with mods though) has this major graphical bug.  This ever happen on my old PC, which had a budget Nvidia 210 card (1 Gb VRAM) but at least it worked.

Looks like a memory glitch to me. Blank grey tiles is what the game shows where it hasn't cached into memory the base layer for the land, a common occurance when you scroll the world map to an area you haven't viewed for a while (the game uncaches this data to save memory). If it appears that way briefly and then restores the missing tiles, then it's simply the game engine taking its time recaching the files - but if it stays that way, then it's either a game engine glitch or a hardware glitch.

Looks like a memory glitch to me. Blank grey tiles is what the game shows where it hasn't cached into memory the base layer for the land, a common occurance when you scroll the world map to an area you haven't viewed for a while (the game uncaches this data to save memory). If it appears that way briefly and then restores the missing tiles, then it's simply the game engine taking its time recaching the files - but if it stays that way, then it's either a game engine glitch or a hardware glitch.

I had the same impression too about a memory glitch perhaps Firaxis needs to patch Civ5 when playing both expansions (G&K, BNW).  I know what the grey area is about and you're right the game tries to find the data information for the greyed-out content.

I couldn't take a picture when it happen only after it happen, because as soon it happen everything doesn't work in-game e.g cannot press ESC to bring up the in-game menu, in fact nothing works and every time I had to exit Civ5 via the task manager in Windows.

@Anda:  No not yet, but I posted about it here.

It seems that Civ5 definitely need a patch, because the same thing happen with the latest Nvidia 359.06 driver (1 Dec-2015) and I have just updated my Nvidia GT640 card.

Why I haven't updated it until now is simple and it has to do with the 359.00 driver, which made Aero Peek disabled in Windows7.

EDIT:  According to these links Civ5 is bugged and needs a patch.

http://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/125492/how-to-fix-civ-5-graphics (scroll down a little)

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?s=060cbd561cec9eda8e5172ac9cec2eaa&p=17070280&postcount=7

This video is similiar to what happen in my game then after about 5-10 seconds Civ5 crashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GujKi9-0Llg

Edited by Leonardo

That happens sometimes, if you save and quit to desktop then relaunch the game it shouldn't continue to happen. Game's been doing that on rare occasions since before Brave New World was released.

Yeah I know, but in this case it doesn't help to exit Civ5 then relaunch the game nor does rebooting your PC either.  Despite doing that it still happens now and then regardless what I do.

I also saw the pictures earlier today on Steam, I don't like the art at all, cartoonish 3D is totally unsuited to the Civ games.

I bailed out after disgust at Civ5, which I pre-ordered, dammit. So many people seem to think it was a huge graphic upgrade. I just think the whole thing was cartoony in all its aspects, not just graphics: gameplay; writing; everything, not to speak of the excessive DLC profiteering. Death of a franchise, for me. Still go back to playing a bit of good old Civ4 (and sometimes SMAC) now and then, but the real replacer, for me, was Europa Universalis III - still haven't got to IV because I think I'd spend too much time on it - don't need that right now.

Edited by tegeusCromis

On 2015-12-05 at 11:00 PM, AndalayBay said:

Seems to be a weird shader issue. Have you tried doing some searches to see what people are saying about it?

On 2015-12-06 at 10:32 AM, Vorians said:

I think that's related to .NET Framework, because last night when I was fiddling with some pictures in Paint.NET I notice there were another update, so I let it be updated and during that update Paint.NET needed to update .NET Framework to 4.7.1.

Today, when I launched Civ5 I definitely notice a major difference and now Civ5 seems to be more stable than ever as I didn't notice any of those weirdness I posted about .

Is that all they've done for an update to Civ 5? How pointless. All the launcher is needed for is to launch the game (and really, what's the point in a launcher, a simple shortcut to the game is more efficient), and the old launcher already launches the game, so there's nothing to improve upon.