• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

Sid Meier's Civilization Discussion

My first Civilization game was Civilization for DOS back in the 90's and since then Sid Meier's Civilization is one of my favorite strategy game series, which include Total War Game Series by Creative Assembly and The Settlers (up to Settler 4 even if Settler 3 is my absolute favorite) by BlueByte.

I wonder if there is anyone here who play Civilization games than me or perhaps I am a lonely Civ player. :)

A few months ago I started to use mods in Civ5 and today I launched the Civ5 SDK in Steam and installed the required programs (MS Visual Studio 2010 Shell (Isolated) to mention one that's absolutely required.

I took a quick look inside of what's called the Civ5 ModBuddy and after a while I thought no way I'm not being able to create mod by myself, because I'm not a programmer and the linked tutorials, guides doesn't work with Pale Moon so I need to use IE which I don't like much. :( 

Nope, definitely not alone. :D I've even modded Civilization. I started with Civ 2. I own Civ 5 but haven't had a chance to play it yet! I started to play one of the tutorials, but found the new interface awkward, so I'll need to learn it all over again. :P

Have you tried Chrome or basic Firefox?

I've played every Civ game since the original in the 90s too. My first PC was built with Civ 1 in mind. Even load it into a Ramdisk before I had my harddrive so that I could play it until I could afford to get the rest of my parts :P

A guy I knew back then was a genius with assembly coding and a bunch of us would get together at the college computer lab on the weekends to play the multi-player hack he wrote for it. Made the game even more interesting when some of the opponents were actually human.

I've never tried to mod Civ V myself but I've downloaded a few. Played a couple of games on the Tamriel map mod for it.

Oh, and Dwip is a huge Civ addict. Way more than anyone I've ever known.

I think you would love Civ5 at least I did once I got familiar with the brand new interface, but prepare for major changes in what technologies there is and not to mention what buildings there are.  The graphics is very much improved and it shows. :)

Anyway, here is picture from my previous games.

2013 12 15 00001

I've played every Civ game since the original in the 90s too. My first PC was built with Civ 1 in mind. Even load it into a Ramdisk before I had my harddrive so that I could play it until I could afford to get the rest of my parts :P

A guy I knew back then was a genius with assembly coding and a bunch of us would get together at the college computer lab on the weekends to play the multi-player hack he wrote for it. Made the game even more interesting when some of the opponents were actually human.

I've never tried to mod Civ V myself but I've downloaded a few. Played a couple of games on the Tamriel map mod for it.

Oh, and Dwip is a huge Civ addict. Way more than anyone I've ever known.

I didn't know that most of Civ4 is written in Python, but IIRC Civ2 (2.49 and Civ2 Scenarios 2.62 I think) is written in Python hence the cheating menu in-game.

I subscribed a 7-10 of mods on Steam the other day and I like some of them.  I too tried TES mod pack vanilla version (no DLC required) but haven't play it much.

Right now I'm playing a game with most of the mods I use.

2014 12 14 00001

I hope not Dwip is too addictive. :P

I'm a long time fan of Civ3.  It is also the first game I ever used mods for.  Just the other day I was playing as Scandinavia with the Balancer Reloaded mod on an earth map.  I wasn't doing terrible, but I wasn't doing great either.  I managed to take Ireland from the french, and I think I'm the first to reach the new world, but I'm also lagging behind some other civs both in tech and military size, and one of my cities defected to the Russians.  So it could go either way. 

You know Civ3 is on the bottom of my list of Civilization games and when I play it I got a little disappointed for a couple of reasons (I can't recall exactly what though :P ), but I did like the prehistoric era of the Egyptians with Hatshepsut as their leader.

Anyway your post got me nostalgic and I wanted to play Civ3 again, but then I remember I also have Civilization Chronicle and I also had a problem with that complete game box.

The problem was not the installation itself instead it was the music in-game and the last time I tried to fiddle with it, I concluded that I couldn't play the music in-game due to the game for not detecting a DVD and only CD could the game detect.

Does anyone know what the reason for this is?  And if there is a patch or instructions of how to fix it yourself.

Edited by Leonardo

I managed to install Civ2 and started a new game, but as soon I reloaded a gamesave I had a CTD. :(

However I did took a few pictures.

Civilization 2   New Game

I've never had so good starting position ever and now when I finally got it I couldn't play it.  Oh well perhaps I'll get the chance in WindowsXP.

Civilization 2   City Status Screen

I just couldn't resist to take such a pointless picture, but it does have a nostalgic look doesn't it. :D

I dunno for how long my first *high-end* WindowsXP computer not being used probably for 7-8 years now, but I've decided to get it operational again just to be able to play Civ2.

Did you ever play Arena or Daggerfall? I couldn't even tell what I was looking at. :P

Of course, but my mind's eye sees one thing, then I look at them today and see quite another. Then wonder how I ever played either one :P

I dunno if anyone else has notice this or not, but these pictures show you two bugs that exist for the English in-game.

2015 01 07 00001

The English has the Sun Never Sets manifest for being a naval nation.

+2 Movements for all naval units

2015 01 07 00002

The scout has a +1 movement promotion.

2015 01 07 00003

The worker has +2 movement at sea according to the Sun Never Sets manifest.

Why doesn't the scout have 5 movements at sea when it has a +1 movement promotion and the Sun Never Sets manifest?

This is clearly a bug unless there is something else that I am not aware of, and I doubt this bug is caused by using mods.

2015 01 08 00001

Only the English can build Longbowman and still the description for the Machinery technology mention Crossbowman.

Perhaps Firaxis missed this who knows.

I wonder if there is a patch for these English specific bugs.

Scouts and workers are not naval units, they are ground units, so they should not receive +2 movement when at sea.

The technology descriptions never list civilisation-specific replacements to the typical units and buildings, they list only the generic units and buildings used by all civilisations if they do not have a unique replacement.

Today I added a couple of mods in Steam Workshop, but when I launched Civ5 I couldn't see neither of those added mods listed in the mods menu.  Any ideas what's wrong? :shrug:

Play Civ - Beyond Earth free this weekend on Steam and if you already have Civ5 installed then just click on the install button to begin the installation.

Time to logout and play like a maniac. :P

Strange that I've never played any Civ, but still enjoy watching multiplayer games. Literally spent dozens of hours watching them on youtube, those 2 channels actually

http://www.youtube.com/user/YoruusSWTOR

http://www.youtube.com/user/FilthyRobotChannel

Maybe you enjoy watching civ MP too? Any your favotite channels you can recommend in that case?

I think the first channel you linked to has a variety of videos while the second channel is more for Civ fans.  Although not necessary for MP fans.

Sorry but no I don't really like playing MP, so I cannot recommend anything MP related stuff for any game.