• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
alt3rn1ty

[Guide] Manual Cleaning Skyrim / Skyrim SE Master Files

Thanks Alt. I fear I am going to be so lost when I finally return to Skyrim. :P

:) This morning started out with "Ooh, beta version of USLEEP"

After reading the release notes, I noticed mention of xEdit updates which may be important

After testing xEdit new CRCs were evident in the resulting masters

I also noticed new LOD related files in USLEEP

Which then led on to DynDOLOD and a new beta

So then I wanted to redo my own ESM cleaning, plus update to testing out the Beta USLEEP, but necessitated a new build of DynDOLOD files first

and obviously the guide needed updating across different forum pages and image updates

In between all the above, needed to drive various members of the family around and finish off some gardening

.. Basically, a quiet Sunday with an update, kind of blossomed into a non stop day .. and I still have not loaded up Skyrim to check anything out from the new USLEEP beta  :facepalm:

I'm off to get fish and chips

Updated the first post again : Due to Skyrim Nexus TES5Edit now has the updated version 3.1.3

( so no need to reference the Fallout 4 version and any renaming of exe's etc etc )

Just downloaded and re-installed Old Skyrim - updated the first post to reflect correct CRCs and MD5 Checksums, using the newer TES5Edit version 3.2

( There were different results on the auto cleaning and manual cleaning of the Dawnguard.esm with the new TES5Edit )

Fingers crossed I can uninstall Oldrim for good this time :)

And updated the OP again - Its now dual purpose - Covers both Skyrim and Skyrim SE

Could someone please change the topic title to read as follows if that is possible ? ..

And updated the OP again - Its now dual purpose - Covers both Skyrim and Skyrim SE

Could someone please change the topic title to read as follows if that is possible ? ..

I dunno who, but I think VM changed the topic title.

I didn't think it was worth saying it was done as it could be seen. :shrug:

Me neither, I saw it was done and was happy with that  B-)

If anyone is wondering when an update will come to this guide .. When the next official version of xEdit comes out of beta on Nexus

.. But note I can only now support updating the info for Skyrim Special Edition : I no longer have Skyrim LE

Currently I am using the latest development version on afk mods (at the bottom of the first post is a "Download" link).

There are a couple of differences to the results, but I will not be updating the OP until the official release because if I do, then there will be a train of questions why people still using the older but public release are getting different results .. So I need to wait until it goes live .. However I realise like yourselves that the dev version is more than likely the better version to support SSE since the Creation Club update to SSE has already gone live

With that in mind here are my results, which I have carefully checked using the dev version of 3.2.1 - But only for Skyrim Special Edition (as explained above).

Update.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 17403, Removed Records: 234, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 17169, Undeleted Records: 91, Elapsed Time: 00:00

Dawnguard.esm
1st clean :
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 98676, Removed Records: 621, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 98055, Undeleted Records: 82, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>
2nd clean
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 98054, Removed Records: 6, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 98048, Undeleted Records: 0, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 57 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>
3rd clean

Hearthfires.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 17830, Removed Records: 178, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 17652, Undeleted Records: 11, Elapsed Time: 00:00
<Warning: Plugin contains 5 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>

Dragonborn.esm
[Removing "Identical to Master" records done]  Processed Records: 214498, Removed Records: 69, Elapsed Time: 00:00
[undeleting and Disabling References done]  Processed Records: 214429, Undeleted Records: 8, Elapsed Time: 00:02
<Warning: Plugin contains 1 deleted NavMeshes which can not be undeleted>

The highlighted results are the changes from previous results

Edited by alt3rn1ty

Awesome, thanks alt3rn1ty!

It still boggles my mind that even with them knowing tools like xEdit are around that the devs managed to leave so many ITM's and improperly deleted refs. :blink:

Edited by RavenMind

Posted (edited)

First post updated : Recently Skyrim SE has been updated a few times, and additionally xEdit has now gone public with a release on Nexus of version 3.2.1, which has refined its record editing.

Skyrim LE results are unaffected when using the new xEdit, so no need to reclean for oldrim

Skyrim SE benefits quite a bit from recleaning, and the results / CRCs/ MD5 checksums are all now up to date in the OP for using xEdit v3.2.1

Reference Bethesda using xEdit - Yeah if they could it would be marvellous, but even though xEdit is the best man for the job, I think its a case of they are not allowed to use software which from the companies pov is not endorsed. I reckon they probably use it for personal use, if any of them recognise that it does a pretty damned perfect job of cleaning up the mess their CKs make, but professionally they will only be allowed to use official tools.

Edited by alt3rn1ty