• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Iliana

[RELz] Elsweyr Anequina

Posted (edited)

This is an archived mod. No support is provided.

Please re-lock this thread.

As agreed with Andalaybay in 2015 there was to be no support thread attached to this mod. I retired from modding 4 1/2 years ago but still wished to leave the (unsupported) files available for download. This thread seems to have been generated when I reorganized the mod files and amended the description this month.

Edited by Iliana

The thread simply  lets people know the mod has been uploaded here. It provides an opportunity for the community to provide support. It does not force you to provide support. I will not lock this thread. Please don’t change the title of the thread. The threads are generated automatically.

It's your site, you can do as you please. However, if you no longer wish to honour our agreeement, I'll just create my own workaround.

To begin with, I'll simply reduce my file footprint on this site to an absolute minimum and decouple the mod from this particular thread ... like so ... although moving around files in that manner does break a lot of inbound links.

Don't worry, I'm not going to delete all of my files from this site. I still support the Assimilation Lab as I have been content with the site despite our current disagreement. ;)

The ideal solution would have been to stick to the agreement and keep the focus on Envy's Pelletine mod and the discussion threads for that. Because Pelletine is a dependent mod and Envy is now intimately familiar with my mod, that would be the best place for any "Elsweyr mod support" type discussions.

Posted (edited)

I updated the links in my mod's descriptions (TAL and Nexus) to the Anequina mod to point to the archived version.

I agree with Iliana regarding the support. As long as I'm still modding (looks to be at least 1-2 years, if not more), I will provide all necessary Elsweyr mod support but only in the dedicated forum.

Edited by Envy123

On 2019-06-16 at 10:15 AM, Iliana said:

It's your site, you can do as you please. However, if you no longer wish to honour our agreeement, I'll just create my own workaround.

To begin with, I'll simply reduce my file footprint on this site to an absolute minimum and decouple the mod from this particular thread ... like so ... although moving around files in that manner does break a lot of inbound links.

Don't worry, I'm not going to delete all of my files from this site. I still support the Assimilation Lab as I have been content with the site despite our current disagreement. ;)

The ideal solution would have been to stick to the agreement and keep the focus on Envy's Pelletine mod and the discussion threads for that. Because Pelletine is a dependent mod and Envy is now intimately familiar with my mod, that would be the best place for any "Elsweyr mod support" type discussions.

What bloody difference does that make? Now as you’ve said, all you’ve done is broken a ton of links. Please restore the original file or move your files elsewhere. Nobody has ever posted in this thread until Leo bumped it. You could have ignored that and this thread would still be empty.

1 hour ago, Leonardo said:

http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/forum/486-elsweyr-pellitine/

I think a separate thread would be better, but that's up for Envy to decide.

Yeah, all support would be provided by me in the above forum. Or you could ask for support on the Nexus.

As Iliana said, she has retired from modding and I am basically carrying the torch for Elsweyr from now on.

1 hour ago, Envy123 said:

Yeah, all support would be provided by me in the above forum. Or you could ask for support on the Nexus.

As Iliana said, she has retired from modding and I am basically carrying the torch for Elsweyr from now on.

Once you release your mod, that forum will be removed. If you upload your mod here, you would do so in the released mods section where the public can download it and a thread will be created in this forum.

We need these release threads in order to facilitate the move to other forum software. Many packages do not have a file download area. Files are stored as attachments to forum threads instead.

13 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

We need these release threads in order to facilitate the move to other forum software. Many packages do not have a file download area. Files are stored as attachments to forum threads instead.

Yes, phpBB doesn't have a download area, instead people who are using it need to use a CMS software e.g Drupal, Joomla, WordPress etc just to mention a few.

18 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Once you release your mod, that forum will be removed. If you upload your mod here, you would do so in the released mods section where the public can download it and a thread will be created in this forum.

To be fair, mod development is still going on. I release it in a piecemeal manner, copying what Iliana has done for her mod.

Regardless, I will provide all Elsweyr mod support in the forum while there is still development going on, and once it's done, I'll ask for the support thread to be moved to this forum and I will provide my support as long as I'm still in the modding scene. Like Iliana said, I know everything that is to do with Elsweyr after working with it for so long. I'd be the best person to come to, for all Elsweyr support.

Posted (edited)

AndalayBay,

I really don't know what to say.

I chose to host my mod exclusively on your site for all these years and I made one small request in 2015: not to have to have a support thread attached to it. You reluctantly agreed because I was rather stubborn about. When I clicked on the "Support" button on my mod at the start of this month, nothing happened, so it was still disabled then.

I thought it would be nice to beautify the mod page with some of the old screenshots and tidy up the files a bit on the 10th anniversary of the mod's first release (June 2009) and maybe make a few fixes. But unfortunately that seems to have broken the block and a support thread was generated.

You provide so much for various WIP and released mods with sub-forums, wikis and the like. I had a different preference and it did not seem like a big ask. It seemed like a win-win situation, my preferences were met, and you had a mod exclusive to your site.

As for the 403 errors, adding a page redirect would have been simple enough if it really bothered you.

Anyway, I'm leaving now and with a bad taste in mouth. This is not enjoyable.

Edit: Just one more note. My upload which you just deleted AndalayBay, contained nine files. This old one you restored contains only three. People must not blame me for the missing files as I clearly no longer have control of my account here.
The contents I had uploaded were:
00 Elsweyr Anequina (the new repackaged one with the updated bsa's, lost)
01 Elsweyr Anequina Official Patch (new, lost)
02 Elsweyr Anequina LandscapeLOD Quick Fix
03 Optional - No Spiders Patch
04 Optional - Pruned Gardens Patch (new, lost)
05a Optional - Elsweyr Anequina Alt - Valenwood Improved Patch (lost)
05b Optional - Elsweyr-Valenwood LandscapeLOD Quick Fix (lost)
06 Alternate - Elsweyr's City of Rimmen (new, lost)
07 Screenshots (lost)

Edited by Iliana

Posted (edited)

I agree with Iliana about having the auto generated mod thread is not good and you know I have been against that for a long time.

Edited by Leonardo

10 hours ago, Iliana said:

AndalayBay,

I really don't know what to say.

I chose to host my mod exclusively on your site for all these years and I made one small request in 2015: not to have to have a support thread attached to it. You reluctantly agreed because I was rather stubborn about. When I clicked on the "Support" button on my mod at the start of this month, nothing happened, so it was still disabled then.

I thought it would be nice to beautify the mod page with some of the old screenshots and tidy up the files a bit on the 10th anniversary of the mod's first release (June 2009) and maybe make a few fixes. But unfortunately that seems to have broken the block and a support thread was generated.

You provide so much for various WIP and released mods with sub-forums, wikis and the like. I had a different preference and it did not seem like a big ask. It seemed like a win-win situation, my preferences were met, and you had a mod exclusive to your site.

As for the 403 errors, adding a page redirect would have been simple enough if it really bothered you.

Anyway, I'm leaving now and with a bad taste in mouth. This is not enjoyable.

Edit: Just one more note. My upload which you just deleted AndalayBay, contained nine files. This old one you restored contains only three. People must not blame me for the missing files as I clearly no longer have control of my account here.
The contents I had uploaded were:
00 Elsweyr Anequina (the new repackaged one with the updated bsa's, lost)
01 Elsweyr Anequina Official Patch (new, lost)
02 Elsweyr Anequina LandscapeLOD Quick Fix
03 Optional - No Spiders Patch
04 Optional - Pruned Gardens Patch (new, lost)
05a Optional - Elsweyr Anequina Alt - Valenwood Improved Patch (lost)
05b Optional - Elsweyr-Valenwood LandscapeLOD Quick Fix (lost)
06 Alternate - Elsweyr's City of Rimmen (new, lost)
07 Screenshots (lost)

You should have fixed the original upload rather than creating a new one. I can’t do a redirect as the entries are created by the forum software. If you aren’t happy with the service here, then upload your files somewhere else. I’ve really had enough of this crap. None of you are helping me with the server fees and I really can’t afford to keep paying them.

In response to the changed links, I changed the link to Anequina on the Pelletine release pages with the latest one.

Pelletine is so joined-by-the-hip to Anequina, that without it, the mod can't function. On the other side, it seems like there are conflicting views on what should be done with Anequina on this site. Not sure what will happen now and the uncertainty is worrying.

Posted (edited)

If I'm understanding this correctly Iliana uploaded a new file and that file has now somehow been deleted?

Also, it seems that what Iliana is asking for (locking the thread) would have no practical impact on the functioning of the site - other than preventing people from posting in the release thread.

Wouldn't the best outcome now be to restore the file that was deleted, delete all these replies and lock this thread with a note from an Admin explaining the author has left modding and that whilst the files remain available for download no support is provided by said author?

If the purpose of a thread is to anchor the file in the forum software and notify people that a file has been released what does it matter if the thread is open or locked to the community at large?

Finally, I'd like to apologise to Iliana as I presume this will mean she gets another notification email, sorry about that. As there are no backups of this mod, though I'm gravely concerned about the question of it remaining online in a non-broken form.

Edited by Sigurd Stormhand

1 hour ago, Sigurd Stormhand said:

Also, it seems that what Iliana is asking for (locking the thread) would have no practical impact on the functioning of the site - other than preventing people from posting in the release thread.

Anda can correct me if I am wrong about this.

The reason why the links are important has to do with a "Auto-generated thread" feature after submitting a new file to the download area, just what happen on Nexus with one exception though since people on Nexus can enable or disable comments.

Those "Support thread" links is already parsed into the database, if I am not mistaken.

I have given this some thought over the last few days and I think it would be best if we parted ways. I don't know what AndalayBay meant in her last post - Dutch are much more direct than Canadians - but I think she was asking me to leave in a round-a-bout sort of way. Which is fine.

Arthmoor has also contacted me offered to host the mod on his site AFK mods. I've know Arthmoor forever ... we both started modding around the same time and if IIRC we even released our first mods in the same month (July 2008?). So I am happy with this move.

I have no hard feelings towards AndalayBay. She has hosted my mod here for 6 years and has been very supportive of me in the past. So, AndalayBay, I offer you my personal thanks for that.

I'll delete my remaining files soon (or AndalayBay can) and upload them to AFK. The landing page (I mean the thing attached to this thread) can stay if you like, maybe you could use it for a list of related Elsweyr mods like Envy's Pelletine.

Well that's it for me. I'm not going to post anymore on this thread and I'll leave it to AndalayBay or anyone else who wants to have the last word.

If I wanted you to leave, I would have said so. Deleting the original file and then uploading it again where a new release thread would be created made no sense and broke a lot of links. We need the threads so I have the option to migrate to other forum packages that don’t have download areas. They handle file uploads as attachments to forum threads.

On 2019-06-20 at 12:03 PM, Envy123 said:

Pelletine is so joined-by-the-hip to Anequina, that without it, the mod can't function.

That's the main reason why I even installed Pelletine in the first place, even if I have finished the MQ.  Ever since I first played Anequina I wanted to explore more of the Elswyer province.

On 2019-06-20 at 12:03 PM, Envy123 said:

On the other side, it seems like there are conflicting views on what should be done with Anequina on this site. Not sure what will happen now and the uncertainty is worrying.

Agreed.  I am too a bit worry about where Anequina is hosted, because most people in the community have known for years that TAL is the home of Anequina.

So, why has that needs to be changed just because I bumped the original RELz thread from 2015!  Why, Iliana?  It doesn't make sense.

If I knew by forehand this is gonna to happen then believe me I would NEVER bumped this thread.  Period!

And believe me, I am not angry at you Ilina.  All I want to know why did you do this after I bumped this thread.

Let's not make this any more than it is.

Iliana has certain requirements, Andalay has made it clear the AssimilationLab cannot meet those requirements; AFK can meet those requirements - so Iliana is moving her files.

AFK isn't going anywhere, so the files will be perfectly safe and we have good traffic so people will still be able to find them.