• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Ajensis

Installation Help

Hello!

I'm currently about to replay Oblivion and I very much desire this XP mod to enhance the gameplay. However, I have no idea how to install it.

I've downloaded and extracted the zip-folder, but then I'm stuck. The readme-pdf mentions an install wizard, but I only see a "wizard.txt" that looks like a lot of code (or whatever you call it; I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to these things). Anyway, I downloaded the Wrye Bash program, but I don't know how to use it. The installation guide says "Open Wrye Bash and click on the Installers tab. Select the Oblivion XP package" - but this tab is empty to me. I can right-click and get a lot of options, but none of them are immediately transparent as the solution and I fear I'd mess things up more than the opposite if I started just clicking randomly :/

I know I must seem like a terrible novice, and I'm probably just missing the obvious, but any help would be appreciated :)

I recommend you start with the Bash manual, it will help explain a lot. :)

Basically, you need the archive to be in the installers folder on the drive for Bash to see it. Normally, this is in the same place as your main Oblivion directory. Where the directory is will depend on how you installed the game and what options you picked in the installer for Oblivion.

I recommend you start with the Bash manual, it will help explain a lot. :)

Basically, you need the archive to be in the installers folder on the drive for Bash to see it. Normally, this is in the same place as your main Oblivion directory. Where the directory is will depend on how you installed the game and what options you picked in the installer for Oblivion.

Alright, I looked up a manual and found wryemusings.com. Reading around, it says pretty much the same as you: "Bain looks for packages in the Oblivion Mods\Bash Installers directory". But I can't find any folder called "Installers" or "Bain Installers". Where is it supposed to be, exactly? Do I need to create it myself, perhaps? (If so, I assume it should be Oblivion/Mopy/Installers?)

Edited by Ajensis

That one is actually old, here's the updated one: http://wrye-bash.github.io/docs/Wrye%20Bash%20General%20Readme.html

That folder you're looking for should be in the same place Oblivion is installed. By default, it's under Program Files or Program Files (x86) in the Bethesda Softworks directory if it's not one of the digital copies.

Right, thanks!

I've got the Steam version, so the directory is a bit more complicated (I've made it a shortcut for easy access instead), but it doesn't have the folder in question. There's only three: Data, directx and Mopy, the latter being the Wrye Bash program. I've tried making a folder called Mods\Bash Installers with the XP mod's zip-file as the link above mentions, but it doesn't seem to work. I've placed it both in the Oblivion folder and in the Mopy folder. What exactly should I name the folders and where should they go?

Looking at the manual, the simplest way appears to be to simply drop the archive into the Installers screen in Bash. :)

Already tried that. It asks me whether to copy or move and I'd tried copying it. Now I tried choosing Move instead and the folder disappears from my desktop - but it doesn't show up in the Wrye Bash program. And it's not in the Oblivion folder (did a search on it) :( in fact, did a search on my entire computer and it must've been renamed, 'cause it's not showing up anywhere.

Edited by Ajensis

What's in the directory the Oblivion directory is in?

Waaait, there's an Oblivion Mods folder among the other Steam games... Hang on. Alright, it's here! "Bash Installers". And the XP mod is there, both as a zip-file and as an extracted folder. But... it still doesn't show up in Wrye Bash?

Edited by Ajensis

Yep, the Oblivion Mods folder is the one you want. :)

Yeah, I just edited my post above - I still don't know what to do in Wrye Bash, though. Nothing shows up in the Installers tab.

It sounds like a Bash issue, possibly related to permissions. First thing to do is to make sure Steam isn't in Program Files on the main partition. If it's not the main partition, it's not an issue. If it is, you'll want to move Steam: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=231

Andalay, I think it may be time to split this thread. :)

I'd do it myself but I'm not entirely sure where you want the new thread.

I see. I've got Steam on a separate drive (E:), so that shouldn't be the problem.

I'm sorry for clogging up the thread with my questions. I'm just very interested in trying this mod as I didn't like Oblivion's default levelling system (making me jump around like a monkey all the time :P). I'll look for a new thread where my incessant questioning is more appropriate. Thanks for the help! :)

DS, you should install Wrye Bash on your machine. It's changed since the last time you used it. :)

Ajensis, here's the full process:

1. Install Wrye Bash.
  2. Run Wrye Bash once and click on the Installers tab. This will initialize BAIN and create the Bash Installers directory.
  3. Download Oblivion XP and save the archive somewhere on your hard drive. I recommend creating a directory for Oblivion mods and storing your downloads there. This should be separate from the game folders.
  4. Copy the archive to the Bash Installers directory.
  5. Open Wrye Bash and click on the Installers tab.
  6. Right-click on the Oblivion XP package and select Wizard from the context menu.

Now, you should install your UI via BAIN before installing Oblivion XP. You should also install any other mods you have via BAIN first. That way BAIN can manage your mod files and it will fix the files if you uninstall a mod.

Wrye Bash has very good instructions on how to use it in the Oblivion\Mopy\Docs folder. Read the Wrye Bash General Readme.html. In particular, click on Installing/Uninstalling via BAIN. That will explain everything. You should also read the section on BAIN Package Order - that is very important too.

Let me know if you have any more trouble. :)

Let me know if you have any more trouble. :)

I'm afraid I do :( I've followed your step-by-step, but it simply doesn't show up in Wrye Bash despite Oblivion XP being copied to the Bash Installers folder. Both as a zip-file and extracted. I don't know what I can do differently to make it appear :$

Edit: oho! I reinstalled Wrye Bash just to check and now it's showing up! Huzzah! I'll see if I can't get this running tomorrow, then :) I apologise for wasting your time when the solution (so far) was so simple. Should've probably tried it sooner. Anyway, all's well that ends well!

Edited by Ajensis