• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

[RELz] Weather - All Natural

Oh, excellent. Kudos for still updating this, AB. I'm pretty sure I have had stuck weather but that's just anecdotal. Weather being weather and all that. Will see if I can pin it down next time.

[Be nice to have a mod that has NPCs chatter on about the weather. Being British, it always strikes me as odd that they don't. But it needs sound files, a lot of editing even if the material's there. So much more thrilling than mudcrabs, though...]

Edited by tegeusCromis

The first thing that comes in conversation here in Canada is the weather... We have stupid levels of humidity in summer and wind chill in winter. We also get British winter in November (cold, dark and raining).  The rest of the winter is dark and cold, but I guess we should be happy it's not raining. :rofl:

We should ask Bethesda to add bitching about the weather to their next game. :lol:

You got it right about our November, but looks like we may have a rather Canadian winter (coldest for 27 years mebbe). I know you must get sick of it, but I like a bit of snow myself. And It's always funny when London kids encounter snow, yuuuuge snowmen on every street corner; they surely make the most of it while it's there.

[Now isn't this meta? Bet we could carry on for hours...]

Edited by tegeusCromis

I love snow, although it's frustrating that so many people don't know how to drive in it. It must be so much worse in England though! :lol: It's just the dark days and the wind chill that makes winter hard to deal with. Ironically the clear sunny days are the coldest, but also the best.

Oh, absolutely. We're not accustomed to snow, especially in SE England, so the DoT has to issue the most elementary advice to drivers every time it's imminent. And local councils have to try and remember where they put their snowploughs. And the trains, ha ha! It gives the Scandinavians a good laugh. Dark days, yeah, that's the worst, don't mind the cold as much. (It always seems odd, but we're at the same latitude as Labrador in SE England - rather north of you., the days get pretty short. And still a way to go to solstice, sigh...)

5 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

The ocean makes a lot of difference in the climate, so the UK is relatively temperate. And that's the extent of my weather knowledge. :P

It's the Gulf Stream, or as those pesky kids say these days, the North Atlantic Drift. (Well, they're two separate but related things.)

Anyway, on-topic, after the weather dialogue, I was wondering about All Natural forecasts. I haven't had the nerve to look at how you do things, pretty stochastic I expect, but maybe you could have a Weather Mage who could give you the probability of weather changes. Then there's weather maps, but you'd have to have an idea of the weather for all of Cyrodiil for those. See, that would really give the NPCs something to talk about.

Total ignorance, I will have to have a look at how AN does things, I'm interested in that in any case...

3 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Actually if you can figure out what causes the stuck weather, please let me know. We've never been able to figure that out.

Oh, yeah, I'm sure I have a big chance of doing that if you guys haven't. :) You know, it could be actual chaos theory in action, strange attractors and all that. Be entirely authentic if it was, that's how real weather works. You could claim it as a feature, not a bug. (Nah, trying to get my coding head back on, maybe I'll take a more thorough look when I do.)

I did have a lovely idea, which you'll hate, which is to get dynamic one level up. Basically rewrite the .ini values and feed them back in - maybe once a day - depending on other variables like locale and season, all that. With a big pinch of randomness. (EDIT: You know, that might at least unstick things. Maybe...)

Yeah, it'd probably make an awful mess. (I did spend a bit of time figuring out how to do tides, then realised how messy that could get. Think I have a handle on getting the moons to move a bit more convincingly, though. Now how does matrix algebra work again? And has anyone ever used the OBSE matrix functions for anything, come to that?)

Edited by tegeusCromis

Actually you need the matrix algebra for proper havoc behaviour. The moment of inertia matrix in a NIF affects how an object behaves. I’ve done quite a bit of work with it to fix the behaviour of objects in my Imperial Furniture Renovated mod, where you drag things like furniture around to position them. I started fixing stuff in Skyrim too, but haven’t done too much with it yet. The drag function in Skyrim is really messed up because they didn’t set up the matrix properly. ;)

Heh, I was just glad to finally use all that boring algebra stuff I mostly ignored in school. :lol: I also discovered that set theory (more algebra) is really important to understanding relational databases. I really wish my math teachers had told us some of the practical applications for that stuff.

3DS Max will calculate the inertia matrix if you flag a model as being havoced. I had some occasions to tweak it a bit further so an object would settle faster, but Max’s calculations work very well, so they match Oblivion’s implementation. Blender might as well - I really don’t know.

Edited by AndalayBay

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

I really wish my math teachers had told us some of the practical applications for that stuff.

I doubt they knew themselves. Public school teachers, at least here, aren't exactly renowned for their own level of education..

That's cool about 3DS! Can't afford it though, so I'll have to just stick with Blender. Which I don't think I've opened since the first run, in which it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to open a file.. lol  I'll have to go through the tutorials at some point I guess. Any feedback yet on your 4K monitor fix? I wonder if many people actually have those yet.

I suspect you’re right, unfortunately.

There were several people with 4K monitors complaining about the level-up menu, but they all seem to have disappeared. I messaged a couple of them on Nexus, but no replies yet.

9 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Actually you need the matrix algebra for proper havoc behaviour. The moment of inertia matrix in a NIF affects how an object behaves. I’ve done quite a bit of work with it to fix the behaviour of objects in my Imperial Furniture Renovated mod, where you drag things like furniture around to position them. I started fixing stuff in Skyrim too, but haven’t done too much with it yet. The drag function in Skyrim is really messed up because they didn’t set up the matrix properly. ;)

That makes sense, though I guess I assumed the havok defaults worked OK. Ashamed to say I haven't tried your mod yet, will have to now. I suspect the moon thing is an easier case because it's fake physics - essentially my idea was to replace the existing moons with 'dinner plate' nifs and orient them correctly with respect to the player. (And select the correct phase for the sun angle. Although, fortunately, the phases change slowly, that is another matrix transform.)

Easier mathematically, that is. And in fact everything shouldn't be too bad when they are high in the sky,  i.e. in the same cell. But you once you get beyond the cell boundary, you're dealing with VWDs (full resolution), and you have to continuously scale so the angular diameter remains constant. And then there is the final knotty problem - the horizon. How far out can you place a massively scaled nif, it's got to be quite a way out to preserve the illusion of moonset/rise. That might even break TES4lodgen, I don't know. Anyway, in practice I think it would be quite hard to make it convincing.

Of course, on top of that you have to layer the astro calculations (I'm not a fan of Michael Kirkbride's 'astronomy'). Which might involve seasons and so forth. That's the easy part, but carry it far enough and you could even get predictable eclipses. (Could make the orbital tilts of Masser/Secundus smaller than our moon so these happen more often). Of course then you have to fix the sun too, which you should have fixed first...

Kind of a thought experiment, really...

5 hours ago, RavenMind said:

.That's cool about 3DS! Can't afford it though, so I'll have to just stick with Blender. Which I don't think I've opened since the first run, in which it took me 20 minutes to figure out how to open a file.. lol  I'll have to go through the tutorials at some point I guess.

Omigod, Blender! It's like someone made a positive effort to break every user interface guideline in the book. No, I cannot get my head around it as a whole either. I know to follow a few standard recipes, adding collision meshes and so forth, that's about all. With most graphic software I'd just dive right in, tho you always need the manual in the end of course. But intuition fails with the Blender monster. Disclaimer: I am nonetheless deeply grateful for it, it does some very cool things, so big thanks to the authors. Just, y'know, even the load/save menu is weird?

Edited by tegeusCromis

I wish I understood half of what you said above tegeusCromis. :blink: I like physics (quantum mostly), and mathematics, but mostly in the abstract / concept level. Never had the patience to get into the nitty gritty specifics. I think I failed Physics 101 back in the day, but can describe how photons behave as both a wave and a particle. LOL

Yeah, I guess I should be grateful that there's a free 3d modelling software that (some) people can get to work as well as 3DS. I, and presumably many others, can't afford or aren't willing to drop that kind of money for 3DS Max. On the other hand, if they priced it at $20 bucks or so, and made it somewhat comprehensible, then I wouldn't have a problem paying for it. Oh well. At least people smarter & more artistic than me are able to do amazing things with it. :D

2 hours ago, RavenMind said:

I wish I understood half of what you said above tegeusCromis. :blink: I like physics (quantum mostly), and mathematics, but mostly in the abstract / concept level. Never had the patience to get into the nitty gritty specifics. I think I failed Physics 101 back in the day, but can describe how photons behave as both a wave and a particle. LOL

Yeah, I guess I should be grateful that there's a free 3d modelling software that (some) people can get to work as well as 3DS. I, and presumably many others, can't afford or aren't willing to drop that kind of money for 3DS Max. On the other hand, if they priced it at $20 bucks or so, and made it somewhat comprehensible, then I wouldn't have a problem paying for it. Oh well. At least people smarter & more artistic than me are able to do amazing things with it. :D

I'm sorry, RM, I do go on sometimes. But I hadn't shared that bit of craziness with anyone, and since this is a  quite technically oriented forum I thought I'd get it out of my system. But it ain't quite that crazy - there's no quantum in there, just classical phys, strictly Newtonian.  My background's partly in chemistry, reckon I learned a lot more about quantum mechanics from that, oddly, than from the physics lessons. But it doesn't come into everyday astro calculations, though a bit of relativity can help. Though that's classical too.

[I've noticed that there is definitely something relativistic going on with Oblivion dungeons. Time passes at a different rate inside. So you can leave, sit down, have lunch, and go back in to find that the enemy who has given up chasing you has only moved a few metres away. Twin paradox on a local scale.]

Yeah, I do agree with you and Malonn, we should be grateful. It just seems odd is all. If you compare Gimp with Photoshop, it's almost as easy to use, pretty intuitive. Can't see why the same shouldn't apply with 3D. Oh well, so it goes...

Edited by tegeusCromis

Have you guys tried to new Blender? I found it impossible to use too, but I thought they made a major change with a new release. I remember a lot of people were unhappy because they had gotten used to the old version of the program.

You can get Max as a 30 day free trial. Autodesk has also switched to non-perpetual licenses like Adobe, so you can pay month-by-month.

The last installer I have is v2.77a. It's, um, currently uninstalled. :P

2 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

utodesk has also switched to non-perpetual licenses like Adobe, so you can pay month-by-month.

Thanks, I'll check it out!! :)

Ouch!

3ds_max.png

:stare: Looks like I'm reinstalling Blender.. (My wife would have my manhood in a jar if I so much as thought of spending that much!)

2 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

I'm sorry, RM, I do go on sometimes.

No, no, please don't apologize! I love reading technical stuff like this. I've learned a lot by trying to follow along in discussions that are over my head! :)  I do sometimes make the mistake of chiming in, and usually regret it when it's pointed out what a stupid question I asked. lol

I fear I've hijacked yet another thread. Sorry AB.

Edited by RavenMind

Heh, it’s ok. Sorry, I didn’t realize it was THAT much per month. I’m so glad I bought the full package before they switched to monthly. It was a lot of money, but I have several versions due to the way they did the licensing in those days and I think they’ll cover Beth’s games for a while.

I think it was Blender version 4.65 or something like that that had the new interface.

I'm glad I put myself into crippling debt to go to college in America when I see those prices, because I still get the free student versions of Autodesk software. :lmao: