Jump to content
  • Announcements

    • AndalayBay

      Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

      I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

[RELz] Weather - All Natural

Recommended Posts

For that money I'd expect it to be home delivered in a chauffered limousine with 12 dancing girls wearing nothing but a smile!

160003690611.jpeg

And the basic implements of celebration thrown in for good measure!

891dbcb9b87adfd1652ecb6f7c2cf8ed.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Have you guys tried to new Blender? I found it impossible to use too, but I thought they made a major change with a new release. I remember a lot of people were unhappy because they had gotten used to the old version of the program.

Oh, I'd better have a look. I gave up on Blender upgrades a while back because the new versions never seemed to support nifs.

But, yeah, those prices, wow, nothing's changed for decades. In fact, I think the pricing's got worse. That's the CAD market still driving everything, I think. So, sure, CAD has a need for engineering levels of precision, anything else can cost lives. But most people just don't need that.

Being prone to crazy tech ideas now and then, I tried to convince some people I was working with once that the future of the web was in VRML (now X3D). Never happened of course, and I think lack of access to tools like Autodesk was one factor, though not the only one. (Because it's non-proprietary markup code, you can have some fun generating X3D procedurally, though. Ought to get back to that sometime.)

Edited by tegeusCromis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blender's the go! And there's plugins galore, some are paid, some are free.

I'd be happy to donate as well- some sites (I think ISS do) have a Donate Hall_of_Fame so that if you are from one of those orgs the forum moderators will roll out the -er- heshan cloth.

Edited by Schtearn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Schtearn said:

Blender's the go! And there's plugins galore, some are paid, some are free.

I'd be happy to donate as well- some sites (I think ISS do) have a Donate Hall_of_Fame so that if you are from one of those orgs the forum moderators will roll out the -er- heshan cloth.

There's some pretty impressive stuff going on there, that's for sure. Nif-wise, I find things have moved on a little, here's a Blender 2.7+ Nif Exporter Tutorial from Dark Creations. Skyrim statics only, but they can be tweaked in Nifskope, I guess. Thing is, I suppose it doesn't really matter that much. If you were doing serious 3D modelling, then you could do all your work in Blender 2.7+, save as .obj or something and then use Blender 2.49b to save out as a nif with collision and such. But I'm mostly doing really simple things, not big modelling, so why aren't there simple solutions?

Anyway, no reason not to check out the latest version, will have a look.

Edited by tegeusCromis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s not up to Blender itself, it depends on whether someone has created a plugin for the specific version. I would check out the latest version and see if a NIF plugin is available. Skyrim has been a pain and no matter what you’re using, you will have to tweak the NIF with NifSkope to get it working with Skyrim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malonn said:

Wait wait.  Does the newest Blender support Nifs?  Or is there a version of the plugin compatible with the newest?  Or am I confused again?

Ha! Now you're sounding like me! :P

I'll have to check out the latest version. Hopefully it won't give me seizures this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I have a friend in Russia who has a student's license or what-have-you, and I always have to ask him to download .max file stuff and convert it to 3ds/obj files so I can open it in Blender...speaking of Blender, I honestly like the newest version once I spent some time understanding the new layout. It's just a hassle to save everything in Legacy format or as a .3ds file so I can open it in the Niftools' older version to export it for Oblivion. >.> Can't wait for that newest Niftools to get finished.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where did you hear that you could use Enhanced Seasons with AN? I'm not saying you can't, I just don't know anything about it. If Enhanced Seasons doesn't actually touch the weather, then it would be fine with AN. OBSE does have some climate functions and so you might be able to create seasons via scripting.

I do think the game has seasons somewhere because it rains a lot more in the "fall". Perhaps it's built-in. I don't actually know much about weather, believe it or not. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I do think the game has seasons somewhere because it rains a lot more in the "fall".

How interesting. It's clear to me that the devs did have seasonal variation on their minds, because harvestable flora has seasonal checkboxes - which are never actually used. Cut content, seems like. So I think it's plausible that, as you say, they built seasonal weather changes into the game engine. Then forgot about it. What's funny is that the only way to know without poking round in the code is to collect stats like RL meteorologists, who also use the term 'cell'.

(Of course, uncertain weather could be due to global warming caused by all them Oblivion Gates.)

Edited by tegeusCromis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

How interesting. It's clear to me that the devs did have seasonal variation on their minds, because harvestable flora has seasonal checkboxes - which are never actually used. Cut content, seems like. So I think it's plausible that, as you say, they built seasonal weather changes into the game engine. Then forgot about it. What's funny is that the only way to know without poking round in the code is to collect stats like RL meteorologists, who also use the term 'cell'.

(Of course, uncertain weather could be due to global warming caused by all them Oblivion Gates.)

I agree, there is definitely a seasonal component to the game, but it's not fully implemented. In fact I remembered that I saw the seasons some place, but couldn't remember where and now that you mentioned it, I think it was in the ingredient dialogue box. I thought it was in the weather too, but I couldn't find it when I responded to anon's question.

@anonimousone, Enhanced Seasons only affects vanilla weather. That's why it's compatible with All Natural. Also, as I suspected, it's using OBSE to provide proper seasons to Oblivion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, AndalayBay said:

I agree, there is definitely a seasonal component to the game, but it's not fully implemented. In fact I remembered that I saw the seasons some place, but couldn't remember where and now that you mentioned it, I think it was in the ingredient dialogue box. I thought it was in the weather too, but I couldn't find it when I responded to anon's question.

It's in Flora.  A bit nuanced, in fact, you can select harvest probability depending on season. My guess is, though, that the bean counters came along and told the devs not to bother continuing because no-one would be playing the game beyond the New Year, waste of dev funds.

[Pity, I have some interest in seasons. Spent quite a bit of time on a seasonal foliage mod last year that works, but only after a fashion. Irritating, possible insurmountable game engine issues. May take a fresh look, maybe upload it here to see what people think...]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They cut a lot of stuff from the final released game, so yeah, I suspect you’re right. I remember watching a video interview with Todd and he was talking about how surprised they were when they first started working with the new AI. They had set up a fight between two NPC’s when one of the NPC’s ran away for a few minutes. When he finally returned, he was carrying a new sword. The NPC had run to another cell and stole a sword from someplace. Todd said they had to back off on the AI features. Personally I thought that was unfortunate because that kind of behaviour would have been pretty cool. I bet the problem was that it made the NPC’s too hard to work with. So I’m guessing seasons is something built into the engine that they cut for whatever reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know, I suspect what keeps us modding Oblivion is just this kind of messiness. I can't warm as much to Skyrim because it's too rounded, too complete. It is what it is, nothing wrong with that. But Oblivion vanilla is so utterly flawed it leaves all sorts of spaces for creativity, and we're still finding some of them, I think.

Edited by tegeusCromis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well we’ve got some ideas for Skyrim, but the main thing with Skyrim is they removed so much functionality from the engine that we can’t do anything. There were a couple of mods I was hoping to do for Skyrim and in both cases, I haven’t been able to due to the engine limitations. SKSE might be able to help - I need to look into it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought Oblivion had a simple season system that could be (and was) simulated by All Natural.  Time passes in Oblivion: you go through the days of the week and months of the year.  I thought AN made custom weathers based on months?  I've done very little with weathers (and it been a while at that), but is there no "tie in" to the month of the year with weathers in the CS?

Anonimousone, Enhanced Seasons doesn't change weathers directly (via the CS records), it does it through scripting, and then all it does is apply a color filter to the scene (via an effect/shader) and maybe make some sunrise changes.  WrinklyNinja gave me editing/maintenance access to that mod.  I answered you in the page's thread--I'd like to update ES for All Natural, it's just not as high priority right now.  I need to update it for the newest version of Oblivion Reloaed; that I may make a priority.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Malonn said:

Anonimousone, Enhanced Seasons doesn't change weathers directly (via the CS records), it does it through scripting, and then all it does is apply a color filter to the scene (via an effect/shader) and maybe make some sunrise changes.  WrinklyNinja gave me editing/maintenance access to that mod.  I answered you in the page's thread--I'd like to update ES for All Natural, it's just not as high priority right now.  I need to update it for the newest version of Oblivion Reloaed; that I may make a priority.

Oh, I meant to comment on ES, didn't realise you were involved, Malonn. I did have that loaded, but I didn't really want the saturation/tint changes, so it was only for length-of-day. Not to say that I think those were a bad idea, just I was thinking along other lines. I really will have to upload my seasonal mod up here, see what you think. Although it only partly works, it is not a gamebreaker, might still have a few misapplied textures, though. A year old and more, will have to refamiliarise myself. (Oh gawd, old code, what does that comment even meeeaaan?!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Malonn said:

I thought Oblivion had a simple season system that could be (and was) simulated by All Natural.  Time passes in Oblivion: you go through the days of the week and months of the year.  I thought AN made custom weathers based on months?  I've done very little with weathers (and it been a while at that), but is there no "tie in" to the month of the year with weathers in the CS?

Anonimousone, Enhanced Seasons doesn't change weathers directly (via the CS records), it does it through scripting, and then all it does is apply a color filter to the scene (via an effect/shader) and maybe make some sunrise changes.  WrinklyNinja gave me editing/maintenance access to that mod.  I answered you in the page's thread--I'd like to update ES for All Natural, it's just not as high priority right now.  I need to update it for the newest version of Oblivion Reloaed; that I may make a priority.

I'll have to take a closer look at some point. I took a quick look the other day and didn't see a way to link weather to seasons. As I said though, there must be something because it rains almost continually in the fall. When people ask me about it, I tell them that Wrinkly is from Scotland, so he probably set it up to be like home. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, AndalayBay said:

...I tell them that Wrinkly is from Scotland, so he probably set it up to be like home. :D

I can imagine. I have my screen in the window and I find it oddly soothing when there's a thunderstorm in the background. Doubly so when it's on screen too, very immersive, especially with Storms & Sound. (You'd think a British person wouldn't need more rain, funny old world...)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Oh, I meant to comment on ES, didn't realise you were involved, Malonn. I did have that loaded, but I didn't really want the saturation/tint changes, so it was only for length-of-day. Not to say that I think those were a bad idea, just I was thinking along other lines. I really will have to upload my seasonal mod up here, see what you think. Although it only partly works, it is not a gamebreaker, might still have a few misapplied textures, though. A year old and more, will have to refamiliarise myself. (Oh gawd, old code, what does that comment even meeeaaan?!)

I have nothing to do with the original mod.  That's all WrinklyNinja.  He just gave me permission to add OR support, and I decided one day I may as well update the whole shebang.  I'm not familiar with the scripts (yet), so I could be wrong.  I have looked at them, obviously.  I'd be interested in your seasonal mod...

 

3 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I'll have to take a closer look at some point. I took a quick look the other day and didn't see a way to link weather to seasons. As I said though, there must be something because it rains almost continually in the fall. When people ask me about it, I tell them that Wrinkly is from Scotland, so he probably set it up to be like home. :D

NP.  You know more about it than I do.  Maybe it's through scripting that a seasonal system can be set up?  There are several OBSE functions for weather (as you know, I'm sure).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×