• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

[RELz] Weather - All Natural

Yeah you have to use OBSE for full seasonal support. That’s what Wrinkly is doing with ES. We wouldn’t want to make AN dependent on OBSE, so it will never have a full implementation of seasons.

6 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

We wouldn’t want to make AN dependent on OBSE

May I ask why not? I read another user's post on Nexus a week or so ago stating he wouldn't use anything that required OBSE, and refused to give any reason why, other that it's his right to choose not to. Kind of left me baffled. Is there something negative about OBSE that perhaps I'm not familiar with?

No, nothing at all. We made Dark Brotherhood Chronicles dependent on OBSE and it's a quest mod. The Black Marshes requires OBSE too. I'm not the original developer of AN, so it's not my call to suddenly make it dependent on OBSE after it not having that requirement all this time. People who refuse to use mods that require OBSE are only cutting themselves off from a lot of content, but that's their choice. All my mods require OBSE.

2 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

I'm not the original developer of AN, so it's not my call to suddenly make it dependent on OBSE after it not having that requirement all this time.

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you.  Yeah, I have no idea why the guy was so touchy about OBSE. I figured he was maybe just paranoid or had a bad experience he attributed to OBSE. People have the oddest thoughts, but it makes sense to them.... I've really got to get an actual OB game going, instead of just testing, troubleshooting, playing with mods. I haven't had a chance to play DBC yet, and am really excited for BM!

8 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

People who refuse to use mods that require OBSE are only cutting themselves off from a lot of content, but that's their choice. All my mods require OBSE.

Quite. I'm a coder by instinct, and it ain't code without OBSE. One word - 'arrays'. (OK, I could really use C-like structs, but arrays'll do). Not to speak of string-handling.

6 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Yeah, I have no idea why the guy was so touchy about OBSE. I figured he was maybe just paranoid or had a bad experience he attributed to OBSE. People have the oddest thoughts, but it makes sense to them....

No, I just don't get it either. Sure, we've got an exe there, but you can run it through your malware scanner on the way in. I do that for any exe or dll anyway. I wonder if it isn't to do with the word 'script' being in there, maybe some association with them pesky 'script kiddies' that got on everyone's nerves a good while back. (Oh sorry, they were actually 'l33T haXXorz'. Or something.)

18 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Yeah you have to use OBSE for full seasonal support. That’s what Wrinkly is doing with ES. We wouldn’t want to make AN dependent on OBSE, so it will never have a full implementation of seasons.

You confused me (which is easy).  All Natural has required OBSE for as long as I can remember.  You mean, perhaps, you don't want to make the weathers totally dependent on OBSE?  I say OBSE it up.  People who prefer not to run OBSE (there can only be 10 of them amongst mod users?!) are silly.  Most of the best stuff requires OBSE.  Most of the interesting stuff can only be written using OBSE.

Haha, you’re right @Malonn. When I took a quick look the other day, I couldn’t see why it needed it so I just made an assumption and didn’t check. My bad. I can’t say anymore until I get a chance to take a closer look.

Yet another OBSE example. I've just done a really simple mod for myself, but then thought I'd upload a polished version to Nexus (well, and here) that adds a few teleports to Frostcrag Spire to allow travel to Mages Guilds from other mods. That's fine for a couple, but for Elsweyr Anequina, to preserve Iliana's original intention, those locations need to have been conventionally visited first. So now I need CanTravelToMapMarker - it's a tiny mod, but there you go. Can't live without it...

Edited by tegeusCromis

The people who won't use obse are just steam users that can't make it work. That's why they won't use it. The way of installing obse is the same way of any mods, just extract into the right folder and you're done with it. The guy was on reddit though, not on nexus and he told that he won't install because they are scared of eventual features happening on their game (the guy complained specifically about maskar adding feign death because it used OBSE: a shame that Maskar is totally based on OBSE and so his complaining makes no sense, because to use any part of Maskar, as said, you need obse).

Fools

9 minutes ago, anonimousone said:

The people who won't use obse are just steam users that can't make it work. That's why they won't use it. The way of installing obse is the same way of any mods, just extract into the right folder and you're done with it. The guy was on reddit though, not on nexus and he told that he won't install because they are scared of eventual features happening on their game (the guy complained specifically about maskar adding feign death because it used OBSE: a shame that Maskar is totally based on OBSE and so his complaining makes no sense, because to use any part of Maskar, as said, you need obse).

That's just crazy stuff. And why don''t they just try things out, they can always de-install? But I'm interested in your point about Steam - is there a big stumbling block to OBSE installation there, maybe the default settings or something, I don't know. (My Skyrim is Steam, of course, but I've never modded it, haven't been there in a while).

Honestly I don't know, but most of the people that I saw complaining about Obse that I've seen were due to issues related to steam, but never analyzed it.

I wanted to buy Oblivion from Gog but I don't know yet if they fixed the issue with the date of the .esm\esp.

This is the post that talked about the uncertainty of Obse, ehueheu (just click on the screen, it will automatically open it).

Edited by anonimousone

39 minutes ago, anonimousone said:

This is the post that talked about the uncertainty of Obse, ehueheu (just click on the screen, it will automatically open it).

I'll look, but I'm not sure it's good methodology embedding that. But I've temporarily allowed redditmedia to run scripts just this once - and now, it's off again. Just the link would have been adequate, you know.

EDIT: Ah, it's just nonsense. What have these three things even got in common?: '...OBSE or dirty hacks, or is super lore unfriendly...'

Edited by tegeusCromis

3 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

That's just crazy stuff. And why don''t they just try things out, they can always de-install? But I'm interested in your point about Steam - is there a big stumbling block to OBSE installation there, maybe the default settings or something, I don't know. (My Skyrim is Steam, of course, but I've never modded it, haven't been there in a while).

The reason for not installing OBSE, from what I understand, is that the Oblivion.exe was changed in the Steam version and OBSE is based on the orignal Oblivion.exe in the retail version.

Edited by Leonardo

I know lots of people using the Steam version with OBSE. OBSE includes instructions on how to get it running with the Steam version. I wonder if something changed at some point though because at one point, you had to have Steam Community enabled for it to work and now that doesn’t exist anymore. But as I said, I’m pretty sure people are still using it or we’d hear a lot more about it. Perhaps if we can get Jimi’s machine running again, we can try it. I’m pretty sure we have the Steam version of Oblivion on his machine.

I can't really credit this, except that some users just haven't followed the instructions. Because the OBSE page on Nexus not only states that it can be used with Steam, but gives clear instructions on how to installl it. OK, perhaps that might be out of date, but I would expect to see a bunch of posts complaining about the problems if so, and there aren't any that I can see.

44 minutes ago, Visceral Moonlight said:

I can confirm OBSE works with the Steam version. I've been using it for years. :)

Hell yeah, it must. We'd know. In any case, I've decided to not use it for what was once a simple teeny tiny little mod, mainly because EA does not give its map markers explicit EdIDs (Note to self: always do this.),  which means it also loses the scary OBSE. (If you give them refs BTW, they lose their visited status.) Instead, I'm now going to make the Elsweyr portals an extra add-on you can buy from the Mystic Emporium. And I'm adding a return gate (the existing return schemas, I know of two, do not work in interior cells, and do not retain your old location data). This here is a case study in creeping featuritis, but it also shows that OBSE can simpify mods (if they're kitted out for it) rather than leading to 'dirty hacks' and whatnot.

Edited by tegeusCromis

Isn't it possible just to launch obse_loader from Steam as a "Non Steam Mod or Shortcut" the same as it is for Skyrim?

And for that happen either globally enable or disable the Steam overlay?

On 2017-12-03 at 2:49 PM, Schtearn said:

Isn't it possible just to launch obse_loader from Steam as a "Non Steam Mod or Shortcut" the same as it is for Skyrim?

I don't think you can, because OBSE for Steam is slightly different from the original OBSE.

@anonimousone That's not the post I was referring to. I don't even look at reddit unless I'm directed there for something specific. They tend to be too obnoxious for me. But that does provide an example of how some peoples' flawed logic causes them grief, and sadly, can affect the opinions of others. Also we've been over the GOG issue in PM & on Nexus. If for some reason the datestamps are giving you troubles, I've linked you to a utility you can use to take care of it. You can wait for GOG to "update" the files, but I wouldn't hold your breath. As I've said, they work fine for me, and the tons of others that are using them that don't even know about the datestamp issue.

============

I think the only difference is in how it hooks the exe. OBSE is automatically loaded when launching via Steam so long as the obse_steam_loader.dll is present. If it were just a difference in the oblivion.exe hashes, the OBSE team could just add that hash to obse_loader.exe like they did with the GOG version of the .exe. All the functionality for OBSE, after it's been loaded, is still contained in the one file, obse_1_2_416.dll - no separate Steam/Non-Steam versions (other than the loading mechanism).

There are numerous complaints about OBSE not working, and this seems to be mainly from Steam users. Sometimes moving their installation out of Program Files (x86) is enough to solve it. Other times it seems not matter what we've tried, they still can't get it to load up. Without remoting in & verifying everything is as they say it is, I haven't been able to further troubleshoot the problem for them. However the majority of complaints are from people who are obviously not tech savvy, have 1-2 posts at Nexus, and seem to have a hard time following directions. So if there were truly a problem for Steam users, I think there'd be much more of a ruckus being raised. That being said, I've only got the Disk & GOG versions, and am not willing to buy it a third time from Steam just to troubleshoot.

Was the last update 12788, or have you found somewhere a newer version? I'd like to get my hands on it. The last version I can find is 12788/12788g ('g' just means Galaxy is bundled). I did a clean install with this version. See screenshot. Either way, I think I've taken up enough of AB's All Natural thread with this. Should really get back on topic. :)

GOG_Oblivion1.jpg