• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Wrye Bash Installation Guide

Wrye Bash 101 - Installation

Many people are still intimidated by Wrye Bash, but with recent improvements to the program and the documentation, it's no longer a tool just for modding gurus. In this guide, I will take you through installing Wrye Bash step-by-step. We're going to install the full Python version since you don't even need a guide for installing the standalone version. :)

Getting Started

You can obtain the latest version of Wrye Bash from Nexus: Oblivion download link or Skyrim download link. Both versions are the same. They are also available on GitHub.

Double-click on the executable to begin the installation. A dialogue box like the following will open:

gallery_1_67_44626.jpg

It will detect the games you have installed and check those off for you. The default is the standalone version, so that is checked off as well. If you wanted to install the standalone version, you would just click Next now. We're going to install the Python version instead.

Click the Wrye Bash [standalone] box or boxes to deselect those versions and click the Wrye Bash [Python] box or boxes instead. If you use a multiple installation manager like mTES4 or MOM, then check off Install to extra locations and use the button with the elipsis to select the path for the other installations. The selections and file paths should look something like this:

gallery_1_67_22048.jpg

Click Next. Now you will be prompted to choose the components you want installed. Prerequisites and Wrye Bash should already be checked off (if not, click in the boxes to check them). If you want a Start Menu shortcuts, check that off too.

gallery_1_67_40524.jpg

Now the installer will automatically install all the required files.

gallery_1_67_26771.jpg

gallery_1_67_30022.jpg

You might be prompted for the installation directory for Python. I recommend choosing the default of a custom directory at the root of one of your drives, like D:\Python27. Once it has downloaded and installed Python and wxPython, which are the custom libraries Wrye Bash needs, the wxPython Setup Wizard will start.

gallery_1_67_29449.jpg

Click Next to continue. Now you will be prompted for the installation folder for wxPython. The Python27 folder should be selected already, so just click Next. The wxPython libraries should be installed in the Lib folder under the Python27 folder.

gallery_1_67_5007.jpg

If you had a previous version of wxPython, it will ask you if you want to uninstall that first. Select Yes. And apparently the Wrye Bash installer is self aware...

gallery_1_67_8106.jpg

Once again, you'll be prompted for the components. Make sure "Make this install be the default wxPython" is checked off and click Next.

gallery_1_67_1060.jpg

Now you'll be prompted for a couple of last bits. You can skip viewing the readme, but make sure the next two options are checked off.

gallery_1_67_33519.jpg

Installation Complete!

gallery_1_67_20411.jpg

Click Next. Now you can run any of the instances of Wrye Bash that you installed, view the readme and delete files from old Bash versions, if you wish.

gallery_1_67_577.jpg

Click Close and you're done installing Wrye Bash Python. Congratulations! :D

Further Reading

alt3rn1ty wrote a detailed guide with lots of pictures on getting started and using Wrye Bash.

Edited by AndalayBay

Thanks Andalay.

A brief precis on the pros and cons of using Standalone [basic] or Python [Advanced] would clinch it.

I for one, don't do too much with the Python Apps, but if needs be, just running the install over the top seems to work fine.

I asked around and we're not sure of the pros and cons anymore. At one point, I understand that some functions, like the CBash patch, didn't work with the standalone version. I don't know if that's still the case. An obvious pro with the standalone version is its ease of installation. However it is harder for the developers to maintain, so it's possible that some bug fixes might take longer to implement in that version.

I know the Python version is the original and it's still the main version, so I recommend installing that. I created this guide because it is a little trickier to install.

Your guide is excellent Andalay.  Maybe it should be pinned somewhere so it can be found easily.  :)