• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

Paid Mods for Skyrim

I've said this before - so I'll summarise here.

I'm not surprised it got pulled, I'm surprised they didn't wait until the end of the month.

So much fecal matter was thrown, at Valve and at Gabe personally that it was inevitable.

So - result:

Modders get paid

Palyers get refunds.

Valve and beth make a loss and lose reputation.

Definition of an Epic fail for those two companies.

The key point here is that modding for Bethesda games has been going on for almost 15 years. You can't suddenly introduce a paid option into that and not upset a lot of people. As they quickly discovered, TES mods are rarely done on their own. We use other people's resources, either with explicit permission or the resources were released as a free and open resource.

I bet the other games that they refer to have never had any modding at all before they introduced paid mods.

Good. Now I don't need to fret about what I'm going to do! :banana:

At least they realized the blame was on them screwing things up in the execution if not the idea and didn't give a half-assed "We're sorry people were offended" apology.  Because they did screw up.  A lot.

Now, are people going to get their refunds in cash or in Steam credit?  And how many folk who were screaming for a donation button are actually going to go donate to the mods on Nexus now?  (Prediction = 0) :P

Andalay, I'm a TF2 guy so I can fill you in: they had free modding for quite some time before they introduced the official community store. However , before that, you would get royalties if your maps and custom items were deemed good enough to be included in the official distribution. So it worked quite a bit differently from Beth's approach.

On that note, any other TF2 folks? It's more fun playing with friends. :D

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

I understand why people were upset, and perhaps this was the wrong place for me to want to earn a paycheck, but I'm a little disappointed with this outcome. I at least wanted to try it out for myself and see what would happen... 

The community itself also suffered, it wasn't just Beth and Valve. With how people treated one another, some people may not want to be involved with the other folks anymore.

Well, imagine if it'd gone on for another week.

This whole thing could have been so much worse, and as much as it sucks for those involved it's ultimately better that Valve pulled the plug now.

I understand why people were upset, and perhaps this was the wrong place for me to want to earn a paycheck, but I'm a little disappointed with this outcome. I at least wanted to try it out for myself and see what would happen...

Well hopefully Nexus follows through on their promise to allow people to request donations. Also, if your modelling skills are good enough, you can sell your models. Otherwise, continue modding and applying to game companies.

Or check out the other games that do have paid mods.

To say that I'm pissed they caved would be the understatement of the century. All because Gabe got his ego bruised on Reddit.

To say I'll be leery of Valve bearing gifts in the future would also be a huge understatement. Especially now that our contacts from Valve in the private group have gone silent on us. I think they may know that caving to trolls was a stupid idea and just don't want to face us directly.

Also just found out from someone who bought my mod that the payments have all been forced to go through the Steam wallet. We were NOT told about this aspect ahead of time. So now all of the refunds Valve thinks they're being gracious with are going to be stuck in their Steam wallets going nowhere. In essence, they're keeping every dime of their cut from this.

It's made substantially worse because there's a $5 minimum on buying wallet dollars.

...the gamer world once sent death threats to a dev who changed the rate of fire on a weapon in CoD.  My ability to be surprised at such things snapped a loooooong time ago.

Let's please not attribute to 'the gamer world' what was evidently perpetrated by a vocal minority of internet tough guys and screeching kids who were or are yet to learn limits. I know no conflation was intended, but... No. We are worlds above this, as are most gamers. It took too much media degradation to get to where we are already, so let's not even hint at the idea that it's part of our nature in particular and not that of extreme human immaturity.

...the gamer world once sent death threats to a dev who changed the rate of fire on a weapon in CoD.  My ability to be surprised at such things snapped a loooooong time ago.

Let's please not attribute to 'the gamer world' what was evidently perpetrated by a vocal minority of internet tough guys and screeching kids who were or are yet to learn limits. I know no conflation was intended, but... No. We are worlds above this, as are most gamers. It took too much media degradation to get to where we are already, so let's not even hint at the idea that it's part of our nature in particular and not that of extreme human immaturity.

You are far more optimistic than I.  :ermm:   I know that it's not everyone, it's not part of gamer nature, but it's way too many.  (*has received much inappropriateness from professed "real gamers" for daring to be female on an MMO*)

See, this is what I was getting at from the first place. I said what about the donations? What did they forget already? Wasn't that Donations supposed to support the author......uh...I was a little irriated when I saw news from Bethesda about buying and selling mods from authors......But good, get rid of the selling and buying mods. And keep the donations on there. I'm happy and everything is back to normal. Except for Bethesda and Valve

Edited by TheDarkListener34