• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

Paid Mods for Skyrim

...the gamer world once sent death threats to a dev who changed the rate of fire on a weapon in CoD.  My ability to be surprised at such things snapped a loooooong time ago.

Let's please not attribute to 'the gamer world' what was evidently perpetrated by a vocal minority of internet tough guys and screeching kids who were or are yet to learn limits. I know no conflation was intended, but... No. We are worlds above this, as are most gamers. It took too much media degradation to get to where we are already, so let's not even hint at the idea that it's part of our nature in particular and not that of extreme human immaturity.

You are far more optimistic than I.  :ermm:   I know that it's not everyone, it's not part of gamer nature, but it's way too many.  (*has received much inappropriateness from professed "real gamers" for daring to be female on an MMO*)

Yeah, Amadaun is right, Additionally, it's ten's of thousands of people who screamed. This wasn't as small an issue as some of you are making out.

Is it tens of thousands of people who send death threats, actionable or otherwise, and posture in the internet about how they'll harm someone? Is it a majority or even a large enough smudge on the glass pane that it wouldn't get absolutely dwarfed by everyone not engaging in this behavior? The assertion is baseless without a citation, it's the old issue of comment sections versus general traffic.

But I'll never disagree with it being way too many people doing that. She's definitely right there, because one person doing this is way too many.

That said: At the risk of sounding hostile, do not assume I'm belittling the issue. It's not a small issue by any stretch — Education has largely failed to cull it and instantaneous communication has the nasty side effect of providing a sort of ideal culture ground for the bacteria of perceived lack of accountability. It's even a tricky issue in parenting. So I am not making this out nor intending to make it out as a small issue. It's an important problem to tackle as human communication develops, one that will likely repeat itself to some degree with each new innovation in the matter. What I am doing, and must have failed to make clear enough, is wholly rejecting the notion that it is inherently a 'gamer' problem.

We've had enough outlets try to make us scapegoats for wide social problems because it's novel and profitable to do that to the youngest member of your competition (Be it a whole medium or a form of technology) in the arena of public attention. Third rate puritans have come after us with such conflations as well, and keep doing so to this day. Let's not do it to ourselves.

Edited by Cray

My fear is that it's a very vocal minority. I know a lot of people didn't like the idea, but I wonder how many were like me and at least willing to give it a try. Quite frankly I'd love to produce top quality mods and get paid for them. If I'm getting paid, I could do a few extra things, like pay for voice acting and buy professional 3D models. I'm not employed in RL right now, so I don't have the money to spend to do those things otherwise.

I do know some people said that if Bethesda had explained their rationale and their plan before springing it on the community, they would have been more open to the idea. People felt betrayed and Bethesda has certainly made a royal fuck-up of the whole thing.

I'm also convinced that a number of people took advantage of the situation to be complete and utter dicks and didn't even care about the issues at hand. We had the same thing with the G8 summit a couple of years ago, so it's definitely not limited to gamers.

If they were serious about helping the community by getting money involved, they would have come to us first and asked for input, or at least polled it. It's abundantly clear that they were trying to make a quick buck at our expense, and that's why I feel the vocal majority was not alright with it.

The program doesn't seem to be dead, though. I think they're revising it and may come back to us with something... else.

Agreed on all points. I don't think they should try again with Skyrim though. I think they should do it with a new game. That way we don't need to worry about mods being released for it already.

I'm sure TES: VI or Fallout 4 will be sporting something. As I said when they announced that they were removing the file limit from the CK, (Which we now know why, but hey at least we got a free update for no reason out of it.) they probably wanted to test the waters before they went full steam (no pun intended.) ahead with it for their next title.

People should really be blaming Valve for this disintegrating into a giant mess. Especially for closing it all down without telling anyone ahead of time they intended to do so. Nope. Wake up one day, it's gone, no explanation beyond a post on their forums about it.

Those of us involved have still heard nothing from them for a second day now about what's going to happen, are we getting paid, what to do with the mods that are still in limbo in the system, thanking us for participating, or any of that. It's like they figured we're only 17 people and don't matter one bit despite what some of us represent in this community.

Bethesda could have done more, but the more I think about it (especially after talking to our contact) the more I'm becoming convinced they weren't really the ones in proper control of this whole thing. I'd be a lot more inclined to trust them with a second attempt for Skyrim if they were doing it from their own storefront and Valve wasn't involved at all.

I wonder how many were like me and at least willing to give it a try. Quite frankly I'd love to produce top quality mods and get paid for them.

You could throw me in that boat for sure. I was drawn to modding several years back due to it being utterly free. Something myself and my (at that time) young children could do for absolutely no cost with games we already owned. If I could in good conscience earn money for doing this I would. In my case however...morals would keep me from doing it, since much of my own work is piggybacked off of other modders free to use resources. It would just be wrong to ask people to pay me for things that aren't altogether my own.

But I probably wouldn't turn away a donation if it was offered.

People should really be blaming Valve for this disintegrating into a giant mess. Especially for closing it all down without telling anyone ahead of time they intended to do so. Nope. Wake up one day, it's gone, no explanation beyond a post on their forums about it.

Those of us involved have still heard nothing from them for a second day now about what's going to happen, are we getting paid, what to do with the mods that are still in limbo in the system, thanking us for participating, or any of that. It's like they figured we're only 17 people and don't matter one bit despite what some of us represent in this community.

Bethesda could have done more, but the more I think about it (especially after talking to our contact) the more I'm becoming convinced they weren't really the ones in proper control of this whole thing. I'd be a lot more inclined to trust them with a second attempt for Skyrim if they were doing it from their own storefront and Valve wasn't involved at all.

I am inclined to believe Beth more than Valve, that's for sure. Look at the timing. Bethesda did a blog post explaining their stance. Most of the comments in response to that were still negative, so a couple of hours later, the whole thing was cancelled.

Valve is responsible for issuing refunds and pay-outs and you guys haven't heard a thing. I can see it taking a good week to get it sorted though. Unless they plan to try again!

I wonder how many were like me and at least willing to give it a try. Quite frankly I'd love to produce top quality mods and get paid for them.

You could throw me in that boat for sure. I was drawn to modding several years back due to it being utterly free. Something myself and my (at that time) young children could do for absolutely no cost with games we already owned. If I could in good conscience earn money for doing this I would. In my case however...morals would keep me from doing it, since much of my own work is piggybacked off of other modders free to use resources. It would just be wrong to ask people to pay me for things that aren't altogether my own.

But I probably wouldn't turn away a donation if it was offered.

Yeah, I wouldn't attempt to sell any mods that use other peoples' resources or any that I'm part of a large team, unless there was some way to distribute the proceeds. Then it probably woundn't be worth it anyway. You'd have to make an awful lot of money for even a team of four to see a decent return.

Yeah, I wouldn't attempt to sell any mods that use other peoples' resources or any that I'm part of a large team, unless there was some way to distribute the proceeds. Then it probably woundn't be worth it anyway. You'd have to make an awful lot of money for even a team of four to see a decent return.

There was actually a way to set contributors and who got what.

Well if they plan to try again soon enough that they think not saying anything is a good idea, God help them.

What do you guys think? Do you think Beth will try again with Skyrim or will they just wait for Fallout 4?

I don't see how they could try again with Skyrim.

One of the SKSE devs, I think ian, said that the terms in the CK EULA were changed to say something about except for the Workshop (I haven't verified it myself) but I wouldn't be surprised if they removed the restriction from the EULA without telling anyone to keep from raising a ruckus while allowing it.

This isn't the sort of model an existing platform should be adapted to, in my hopefully humble opinion. I believe that such a thing should be built from the ground with community input - Both for the platform and for the modding tools.

They told us in the private group that the EULA had been updated (cause we asked) but I'm assuming they changed it back again. I don't even remember where they're keeping the official copy these days cause it's also floating around on the CK wiki and a few other places.

Is it just me or do the actions of this so called "skyrim community" remind me of wife-beaters. "Aww I didn't mean it, please come back and continue slaving away for us"