• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

Paid Mods for Skyrim

Is it just me or do the actions of this so called "skyrim community" remind me of wife-beaters. "Aww I didn't mean it, please come back and continue slaving away for us"

You're not the only one who feels this way. I'm not in the game for praise, myself, but it is a bit disheartening to see how little value our "consumers" put in us.

Well the term "consumer" pretty much illustrates the point. Take, take, take and never give back.

Modding should be approached like any other hobby. You do it because you enjoy it. That's why I do it. And because you enjoy it you share some...or most... of what you've done with no real expectations attached. I think most of us know by now that doing this for any other reason is just absurd. How many people even spend a second of their time to click a button and rate the mods they download? I surely wouldn't be here doing this for recognition. I do it because I enjoy it. So I say we all let this BS blow over and just go back to doing what we all obviously enjoy doing.

P.S.  Many thanks to those who have clicked those buttons to give some recognition. It's appreciated, not expected mind you, but appreciated.  

...That article amounts to little more than a series of presented quotes and echoing of their content with a sample that only serves to further polarize the controversy. The various presented opinions should certainly be reported on, but to pick a handful and report that here there be nastiness reduces the informative quality of this piece to a series of links to look into for one's own research in the topic. Have I been spoiled by the reporting standards I was subject to when working with radio journalists?

I wonder if this is going to have a spillover effect into Indie development where some people will decide not to get involved and possibly cause the market to lose the next great game we all play and love for years. I wouldn't blame them at this point either. The haters have no idea the damage they've done.

That would be a massive stretch requiring either the haters to be of far greater numbers or the media to fail to show anything but hate.

I just had an evil thought.

The EULA states Bethesda can do whatever they want with anything you release. Can they indemnify people stealing or using without permission other people's work by granting them a blanket license using said privileges in the EULA?

They can, though the problem isn't so much licensing as the very nature of asset sharing and modding making it hard enough to deal with non-obvious cases that I am certain they would not devote resources to it.

Robin is currently making some changes to the donation system on Nexus to nudge users to donate more often. We'll see how that goes. Apparently people have been donating to the Sky UI guys, which is nice to see.

I received my first donation last night, found an email from paypal when I got up this morning. Wonderful surprise.

I just don't know whether it's acceptable to acknowledge with a thanks or whether that would be considered soliciting donations by encouraging such behaviour, in which case in breach of Nexus rules, so all I did was give kudos to the donator.

I tend to agree with them. I think most of the people posting garbage were from 4Chan and just in it because they wanted to be.

Oh sure, but I still think it made sense to pull it, 10,000 mod downloads vs Gabe getting 6,000 down-votes on Reddit. That might seem like a petty comparison but Gaben is an essential part of the Valve brand, damage to him damages sales. Of course the lacklustre sales are partly the result of the poor initial offering, of the 19-odd starting mods only two or three were even worth downloading for most people.

It's only damage if you lend any credence at all to Reddit activity. Sane people don't :P

Everybody in work had heard about Gabe being downvoted - that's not good for Valve. Not terrible, but not good. Pulling the plug was obviously damage control.