• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
dlf

What SSD to improve load times

I might wait to get a new SSD to put some games (Skyrim, Oblivion, Morrowind (does that really need to be on a SSD?), among others (?) to improve load times, but I'd think some suggestions could be helpful. I also would think I'd have to replace my PSU at some point.

My current specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Sandisk Extreme 120GB 2.5"; Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5"; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 3TB 3.5"; 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card
Case: Cooler Master HAF X ATX Full Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (x2)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full (64-bit)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 60Hz 27.0" Monitor
Monitor: LG 22MP55HQ-P 60Hz 22.0" Monitor
Keyboard: Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4 Wired Gaming Keyboard

As I know I'm going to get asked:

- Why have a 2 & 3 TB?

- Why have two DVD drives?

My response:

• -. The 3 TB is primarily for my games (steam, origin, gog, uplay, retail, or misc ((G)Zdoom, pinball, Diablo 1 "HD" (fan-made), etc)). You can probably guess what my 2 TB is for (downloads, picture, music, small partition or two for Linux)
  • -. DVD players so I can still install (and install quicker) some retail games (Diablo 2, The Sims 1/2
  • - I may at some point get a second SSD for (far) faster load times. I wouldn't want to use the "OS" SSD as that would probably wipe out any games and mods on that drive (if I have to format)

My usual recommendation is the Samsung Evo 840. It's highly regarded. And, yeah, I'd get a new PSU at some point if you're looking for longevity. The Corsair AX860 or the TX750 would be my recommendations. :)

I can swear by the specs of my new machine, as listed here: http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/topic/14101-my-new-pc-build/

Look under New specs in the OP, not my original thoughts. I went with a 10,000 rpm regular hard drive for my games and data. The Samsung EVO 840 is highly recommended, as VM said. I use it for the OS and programs. Everything loads pretty fast. :)

That does look like a good SSD. Why the EVO 840 instead of the EVO 850?

Yup. One site I buy hardware from didn't even have the 840, only the 850.

The 850 is the replacement for the 840. From Samsung's website:

The 850 EVO delivers endurance and reliability by doubling the TBW compared to the previous generation 840 EVO.

Apparently TBW stands for Total Bytes Written and seems to be an endurance value.

What length of SATA (and molex) cables would be good to go from the motherboard to where the drive would sit? 6 feet?

Your motherboard will come with SATA cables, so I wouldn't worry about buying any. I've got tons of SATA cables from my builds and have never had to buy any. Use the shortest cable you can. 24" is usually plenty.

I think that answer would actually depend upon the distance from motherboard to intended sitting location for the drive. If the drive is going to be inside the case then 6 feet would be insane, you'd fill the entire case with the cable folded back upon itself over and over. On the other hand if it is going to be external then perhaps you are asking how long a SATA cable can be without signal degradation?

For the latter, it also matters what kind of SATA cable it is. There are two varieties of SATA 3.0 (it seems to be the more common these days): 3 Gbps or 6 Gbps. The higher the transport speed, the less noticeable any degradation will be.

That's odd, SATA 3 with drives means 6Gbps, why would SATA cables be labeled 3.0 and some be for 3Gbps while others are 6Gbps? They should be consistent and match with labeling for the drives themselves.

The cables aren't labelled as SATA 3, they are labelled with the speed. So it's 3 Gbps or 6 Gbps. Iirc, they are also coloured differently, but that might depend on the mobo mfr.

It also comes down to chipset, not all motherboards have the same amount of 6 G slots. For example, with X79, the standard says 2 6G slots, I believe, and that's all the CPUs themselves support. For more slots, the manufacturers need to add a separate controller to the board. The 6G slots are usually red in color to help distinguish them from the 3G slots.

So is the Samsung 850 EVO still the favourite SSD?

As far as I know, unless they've bumped up the read/write speeds. Also, if you can't find one of these, Intel's branded SSDs aren't slouches and are generally pretty good as a secondary choice.

I might get an 850 EVO to replace my game drive.