• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Phase 1 is complete. There will be a second round once Linode gets a patch. I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.
Leonardo

Help needed to customize Firefox

5 minutes ago, Vincent said:

I don't know what you guys are on about. I just switched back to firefox when I heard all the noise they were making about 57 after having been using chrome for a few years. I think it's just fine. It's loads better than what I remember from a few years ago.

Well for one thing, I have two add-ons I consider essential that have just been rendered useless. And I really can't be asked rebuilding their datasets. And icons just keep getting flatter and greyer. I mean, what happened to drop-shadows? Why oh why can't we retain our childish illusions forever???

[And yes, I am only posting this so I can be a commander like RM. Don't want them going on a power trip and tellling me to go clean the latrines with a toothbrush or something.]

I guess I should have been a bit more clear on what I was asking. Are the 2 pics shots of the default UI for version 57?

Pale Moon is nice and all and I really love it, but the occasional pages it won't work on and the occasional misidentification as a mobile browser are irritating. What bugs me most though is the developer has begun displaying some very stubborn tendencies toward the direction his project is going that are going to do nothing but isolate Pale Moon instead of aid its adoption.

Remember using an early version of Mozilla- IIRC it was before Phoenix and after Netscape. Beautiful and fast.

But then that was slowly pulled into the void in favour moving over to Firefox- well that was war- and M$S didn't pull any punches and did everything to make it slow up the machine and its S/W. Or something.  Never used it since.

Edited by Schtearn

Thanks for the Palemoon info. I've downloaded it & am going to give it a go. :)

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

I guess I should have been a bit more clear on what I was asking. Are the 2 pics shots of the default UI for version 57?

The first one was fairly close. Some of my previous settings migrated after update. The second is after I did a bit of customization & applied a theme. I created a new profile to screenshot for you. This should be what a completely vanilla FF 57 install looks like (whole window): https://imgur.com/a/K7bxM

This is just the top of screen to the address bar (bookmarks toolbar disabled by default):

Vanilla Firefox.png

2 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

Don't want them going on a power trip and tellling me to go clean the latrines with a toothbrush or something.

Darn, wish I'd thought of that an hour ago! :P  Well, here's to your promotion, Commander! :beerchug:

@Schtearn My own benchmarking showed IE, Chrome, & FF pretty close on resource usage as of about 2 years ago. It *seems* to me that lately, FF has been eating up more memory than previously, but I can't say that for certain. For me it pretty much came down to security, ease of use, add-on availability, & aesthetics. Performance has seemed to me to be about the same. I prefer SeaMonkey to FF on my Linux box though. On Linux there's a HUGE difference among the various browsers in resource use. (At least the last time I checked..)

Edited by RavenMind

5 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

Same here. I've plugins that I've used for ages and they didn't function anymore. FF ESR fixed that issue.

Well, for me too now. RSS feeds and NoScript back in their entirety. Good tip, AB, thanks! :beerchug:

Edited by tegeusCromis

Hrm, ok, thanks. Those were the UI changes I wanted nothing to do with because it's basically Chrome and I don't like Chrome either. I'll live with Pale Moon's idiosyncrasies for now.

Agreed, I never liked Chrome, despite trying hard to. lol

Looks like some FF extensions will work with Palemoon, so I'm going to try that & AB's recommended ESR version & see what works best for me.

For anyone needing help getting ESR running or migrating extensions to another browser:

Some possible useful info:

And something disturbing because Mozilla knows they've screwed their users & will soon need a better way to monetize:

Does anybody have any thoughts or experience with Waterfox or SeaMonkey? I loved SeaMonkey over FF on Linux. Didn't know it was available on Windows or I'd have looked at it sooner. However it looks like it's based on Firefox 52.4 ESR, whereas Waterfox is being built on FF 55, and is compatible with both WebExtensions and XUL/XPCOM.

Edited by RavenMind

23 minutes ago, RavenMind said:

And something disturbing because Mozilla knows they've screwed their users & will soon need a better way to monetize:

Sigh. So it goes.

Funny about the extension migration. My two just worked (fully) again - I mean they retained their original entries - after 57 upgrade, downgrade to ESR, then extension reinstall.  Sloppy of me, though, to do it that way. Seems Firefox doesn't clean up its space, but I should not have assumed that. Backing stuff up properly now, just some .sqlite files...

Freemium. Is that Newspeak for CrippleWare?

Actually, it might not be such a bad idea provided they don't price themselves too high. Many have toppled over into the burgeoning bit-bucket of non-existence likewise before!

20 hours ago, tegeusCromis said:

I just had a quick go with the Palemoon thing. Bookmark import fine, works with Import from HTML or, preferably, JSON. Browser history, hmmm. I've tried copying the places.sqlite file, which works wonderfully as an alternate way of importing bookmarks, but doesn't work for history. Since I do like to keep that history - it's come in handy many a time - I may take a look at the two different sqlite schemas in Linux (got the tools for it over there) - it should just be a database fix ... famous last words. Passwords, a pain but at least they're all written down.

Or I might just revert Firefox. Or go back to Netscape. Well, at least all this has reminded me to back that stuff up...

There's also Seamonkey!

22 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Actually, it might not be such a bad idea provided they don't price themselves too high.

I would agree so long as they don't remove features to put them under the paid stuff, which it seems is nearly always the case.. Not adding this bell or that whistle is fine IMO.

I fear I may have hijacked Leo's thread. My apologies Leonardo.

Edited by RavenMind

On 2017-11-15 at 11:03 AM, RavenMind said:

Does Palemoon have extensions like FF?

Yes, they have and I've already installed the Status4Ever and the Download Manager (S3) along with the NoScript and their own AdBlock addon.

I now use Palemoon 27.6.2 (64-bit) and it works fine, although a bit slower than Firefox 57 but the addons are working.  So I think I'll join the Palemoon crowd and say farewell to Firefox.

On 2017-11-16 at 2:43 AM, Arthmoor said:

Is that actually Firefox these days? Doesn't look like what I last knew it to look like.

Yep, that's what have changed and believe me when I say, I agree with @tegeusCromis I don't like them one bit.  In fact, if you looked at them you'll see the tabs are flipped up sort of being upside down mirror.

On 2017-11-16 at 2:46 AM, tegeusCromis said:

Well, the squared-off tabs are definitely new to FF57. Don't like them.

Actually no, I changed my mind and reverted Firefox back to 56.0, the last version before the major update of Firefox.  Which break a lot of things and change Firefox to, I dunno what to say about the changes in Firefox 57 other than I don't like them one bit.

On 2017-11-28 at 9:48 PM, Leonardo said:

I now use Palemoon 27.6.2 (64-bit) and it works fine, although a bit slower than Firefox 57 but the addons are working.  So I think I'll join the Palemoon crowd and say farewell to Firefox.

And now there's this: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/software/mozilla-angers-firefox-users-after-force-installing-mr-robot-promo-add-on/

This is why the first thing I do when I download software or get an update is go through all the Settings.

I've officially said goodbye to FF & am using both Waterfox & Palemoon, depending on my mood. :P

Is that for the Mr Robot game? Oops!

But wait- that's on Google play??? What's the deal- or is there a FF brand of the game that doesn't show up front on Google search? Mind you, the Mr Robot series doesn't look too bad- maybe once upon a distant tomorrow it will arrive in Oz. :)

I had no idea there was a game. I got about 5 episodes in before RL prevented me from keeping up. It was kind of a depressing show, but I thought it was interesting. Sheesh, don't you have a VPN with a North America exit point? lol

Edit: Meh. Looks like you can only get it on Amazon & USA. https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/other/is-mr-robot-on-netflix/

I friggin hate Amazon. I got Prime, but there isn't anything on Prime video worth watching you still have to pay for practically EVERYTHING. If it weren't for the free shipping I'd drop it like 10 pound turd.

Edited by RavenMind

I don’t think Amazon Prime is worth it, so I just go for the 1 month trial when I have a bunch of stuff to buy. I’m on my second Prime trial now. I’ll cancel it before the end of the month. I thought you could only go for the trial once, but I’m on my second.