• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Leonardo

Infinite Monkey Playground and Software Thread

I know what's missing here on TAL and that's list of freeware/shareware programs similar to this list here.

So if anyone want to post such list of freeware/shareware programs then add this incredible program.

Recuva

Because it's his list, not mine. I didn't compile the information. If he wants to repost it, he is free to but I won't be copying someone else's work and efforts. If you want to ask for certain categories, we could create our own list but copying his would be wrong.

Leo, here's a sort of starter pack I put together for someone a few years ago:Web:ChromeThunderbirdChat:PidginGeneral Utilities:CPU-ZGPU-ZHWMonitorCCleanerDefraggler7-ZipDocuments:Google DocsLibreOfficeNotepad++Media:VLCGimpPaint.NETBlenderIt's sort of sparse, I know, but I figured I'd give you what I already had put together. I may flesh it out into a more proper recommendation list at some point.

I'm not after any leopards right now, but I am looking for a reliable free anti-virus program for Windows XP which I can confidently install on my father's PC without worry that every month I will have to remove the trial version of the program creator's full paid-for internet security package or that every month I will have to remove whatever unwanted free software that comes bundled with each program update, since my father is incapable of choosing the option "continue using the free version" or unticking the little "yes I want other great free software!" box when an update is released.

Lenovo sells leopards and they look like the same IBM leopards...

Thanks, I'll take a look. :)

I'm not after any leopards right now, but I am looking for a reliable free anti-virus program for Windows XP which I can confidently install on my father's PC without worry that every month I will have to remove the trial version of the program creator's full paid-for internet security package or that every month I will have to remove whatever unwanted free software that comes bundled with each program update, since my father is incapable of choosing the option "continue using the free version" or unticking the little "yes I want other great free software!" box when an update is released.

Have you tried Avast?

Have you tried Avast?

I did have Avast on the machine but my dad kept installing Google Chrome every time there was an Avast update. So I replaced it with AVG Antivirus, but my dad kept installing AVG Internet Security every time there was an AVG update. So I replaced it with Microsoft Security Essentials, perfect choice! But my dad got a message today informing him that as Windows XP was no longer going to be supported after the end of April, Microsoft won't be providing updates to Microsoft Security Essentials on XP any more either. So now I need something else.

It does need real-time scanning, this is for my dad's PC, he's PC-incompetent and cannot be relied on to stay safe on his own.

Avira do have real time scanning and I'm using it myself.  Although there is only thing that doesn't work to well and that's the Luke Filewalker funny name for a file scanner, which also scan your boot sector on every HDD you have installed and use IIRC.

Is there anyone else than me who is using Thunderbird? If so then do NOT update to the latest version 24.0.5 I think, because it will crash and you cannot restart it no matter what you do a least I couldn't do anything. Posted Image

I'm not certain if reinstalling/downgrading Thunderbird or rebooting your computer will fix this crash and I've no idea what's causing this crash anyway. Posted Image

Alright, here is the crash report and I hope this makes sense to you, because the only thing I can pin point right now is something about Avira.  Any ideas?

AdapterDeviceID: 0x0641
AdapterVendorID: 0x10de
Add-ons: tbtestpilot%40labs.mozilla.com:1.3.9,%7B972ce4c6-7e08-4474-a285-3208198ce6fd%7D:24.5.0
AvailablePageFile: 10719232000
AvailablePhysicalMemory: 6548787200
AvailableVirtualMemory: 4009492480
BuildID: 20140424091057
CrashTime: 1399941067
EMCheckCompatibility: true
InstallTime: 1399883611
Notes: AdapterVendorID: 0x10de, AdapterDeviceID: 0x0641, AdapterSubsysID: 00000000, AdapterDriverVersion: 9.18.13.1106

ProductID: {3550f703-e582-4d05-9a08-453d09bdfdc6}
ProductName: Thunderbird
ReleaseChannel: release
SecondsSinceLastCrash: 1475
StartupTime: 1399941065
SystemMemoryUsePercentage: 23
Theme: classic/1.0
Throttleable: 1
TotalVirtualMemory: 4294836224
URL:
Vendor:
Version: 24.5.0
Winsock_LSP: AVSDA over [MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP]] : 2 : 1 :  
 AVSDA over [MSAFD Tcpip [uDP/IP]] : 2 : 2 : C:FreeWareAviraAntiVir Desktopavsda.dll
 AVSDA over [MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IPv6]] : 2 : 1 :  
 AVSDA over [MSAFD Tcpip [uDP/IPv6]] : 2 : 2 : C:FreeWareAviraAntiVir Desktopavsda.dll
 AVSDA over [RSVP TCPv6-tjänstprovider] : 2 : 1 :  
 AVSDA over [RSVP TCP-tjänstprovider] : 2 : 1 : C:FreeWareAviraAntiVir Desktopavsda.dll
 AVSDA over [RSVP UDPv6-tjänstprovider] : 2 : 2 :  
 AVSDA over [RSVP UDP-tjänstprovider] : 2 : 2 : C:FreeWareAviraAntiVir Desktopavsda.dll

MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IP] : 2 : 1 : %SystemRoot%system32mswsock.dll
 MSAFD Tcpip [uDP/IP] : 2 : 2 :  
 MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IP] : 2 : 3 : %SystemRoot%system32mswsock.dll
 MSAFD Tcpip [TCP/IPv6] : 2 : 1 :  
 MSAFD Tcpip [uDP/IPv6] : 2 : 2 : %SystemRoot%system32mswsock.dll
 MSAFD Tcpip [RAW/IPv6] : 2 : 3 :  
 RSVP TCPv6-tjänstprovider : 2 : 1 : %SystemRoot%system32mswsock.dll
 RSVP TCP-tjänstprovider : 2 : 1 :  
 RSVP UDPv6-tjänstprovider : 2 : 2 : %SystemRoot%system32mswsock.dll
 RSVP UDP-tjänstprovider : 2 : 2 :  
 AVSDA : 2 : 0 :

Edited by Leonardo

No I haven't.  But why have Avira have done that just of sudden and not earlier I mean everything was working without any protests from Avira.  So why now? :shrug:

If Avira is having some problems with that then I'll probably get rid of Avira asap and start to use another AntiVirus.

A least I've notice that Avira do have issues that's for sure and what I'm talking about is of course that so called "Luke Filewalker" sort of a virus scanner, which is somewhat buggy and dunno how many times I had to terminate that damn thing manually.  Annoying!