• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Phase 1 is complete. There will be a second round once Linode gets a patch. I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.
Leonardo

Infinite Monkey Playground and Software Thread

What path does Windows use for installed libraries?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp/build/search-path-used-by-windows-to-locate-a-dll

I saw that article but I'm interested in installing them, not searching them in a program. I could just drop them in the same directory but that would be silly if the same library is used by another program. :)

Discovered a rather large "media" file in the Google Cache (should have twigged it wasn't in the Google Media Cache) and attempted to play it with all the players. Unknown/wouldn't play/no info provided.

:facepalm: Oh my, after more than an hour, used the fantastic MediaInfo Tool to find out what it was- a PDF!!!

Anyhow, ditched VLC in favour of K-Lite and WMP-HC- much nicer, but still recommend VLC- even though you can't get it to work with external codecs. K-Lite has one of the best installers I've seen!

On 1/5/2018 at 11:03 AM, Visceral Moonlight said:

There are a bunch of them out there, some better than others. I know most of the digital distribution platforms use a Qt based framework for embedding but I'm not sure which one. I can try to find out, though.

Okay, Steam and GOG Galaxy use CEF while Origin uses Qt Web Engine. Does that help any?

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Question (we need a coding forum)! So I know how to set an icon for a program in its resource file but how do I set the icon for the programs list in Windows? I just noticed today that BOSS shows the generic icon instead of its own in the list but everywhere else, it uses the icon I've set up in the resource.

Heh, yeah, I see what you mean. It’s the same under Win 7. There must be a second option for defining the icon. I’ve got a few programs that don’t have an icon in that list, like BOSS, but most do. I’d try searching for “specify an application icon in Visual Studio 2017 C++”, if that’s what you’re using.

Ok, well you could revise the search and leave out the “Visual Studio” part. When I tried it, I got some hits from Stack Exchange, which would be more likely to have general advice.

The easiest way is the resource file. Something like

IDI_APP_ICON            ICON                    "Boss.ico"

Big trouble with the Shell Object- maybe that is just an extra security measure- who knows?

Might also need something like this:

m_hIcon = AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(ICON_ID_FROM_RESOURCE.H);

PPT viewer is being retired, so AOO will be wanting a portable replacer. Been a while, and looks like it's going to be a while longer!^_^

The only thing left of the old Moochers site, which folded well before Archive.org came into existence:

moochlink3.gif

:cry:

Been quietly cussing at my ISP for WLM email issues when sending emails from an address not hosted by them, when all along the wrong setting was used:

Outgoing SMTP Port:

• 587 with TLS enabled
  • 465 with SSL enabled and check the authentication box, if available
  • 25 for no security

Works fast without Logon Using Secure Password Authentication. :facepalm:

Edited by Schtearn