• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!

Available for pre-order on Steam. Pricey too. I'll wait until it's been released a couple years, maybe by then I will have played Fallout Tactics, Fallout 3 and New Vegas (and completed Fallout 2 which I've started but got bored of).

I know graphics aren't everything, but I can't help but feel underwhelmed by the quality of these textures. Maybe this is an early build, but I know they can do better with the hardware they're working with.

Still? Are they ever going to move on?

They'll probably do the same as with Skyrim, provide an optional hi res texture pack for free after release, to ensure that the textures which actually come with the game don't overload any computers.

It's because they're still using Frankenbryo :P

I had a feeling that was the case. It looks visually similar to Skyrim. I'm really hoping they start from the ground up for TES VI.

Not likely I fear. I think they've customzied "Frankenbryo" (thanks for that Arthmoor) so much that they are going to stick with it as long as they can.

I'm disappointed by the trailer on Steam as there's nothing new here.  I hope Bethesda are being coy!

Not likely I fear. I think they've customzied "Frankenbryo" (thanks for that Arthmoor) so much that they are going to stick with it as long as they can.

I'm sure it would sell regardless, but that seems like a terrible idea to me. You can't just keep recycling old code and expect it to not show its age.

Edited by Vincent

All we can do is hope they see the light. I mean, how bad is it when people are now regularly commenting that ESO is visually superior to Skyrim, has more fluid animations, and doesn't have any of the issues with shadows and lighting that Skyrim does? I'll tell you. It's bad. When an MMO can outshine a single player sandbox game, it's time to retire your engine and get a better one.

If they can't write their own, there's no shame in grabbing a copy of UE4 and using that. Or here's a thought. License the RedEngine from CDPR. Make a TES VI with all of the technical backing of Witcher 3's engine. I'm sure CDPR isn't an unreasonable company and could come to some kind of arrangement for it.

I don't think they want to use an engine that's associated with another game series. If those other developers can create their own engine, why can't Bethesda? That's a rhetorical question - we know Bethesda can't program their way out of a paper bag. :P

Actually it's a legit question. CDPR didn't do their own engine until Witcher 2. They used Bioware's stuff for the first Witcher game. So the whole "why use someone else's engine thing" is something they already went through. I'd wager it's probably more common than we think.

The real point is, Frankenbryo is the rotting reanimated corpse of a long dead engine. Let's bury it before the stench fouls everything :P

But this is what, the seventh or eighth game for Bethesda? I'm only referring to the major titles. Wouldn't switching now be admitting failure?

Also, what happens with the modding tools if they switch?

Well, let's see. With Beth's own titles using NetImmerse/Gamebryo, we have:

Mowwowind

Oblivion

Fallout 3

New Vegas

Skyrim

Fallout 4

So 6 games. No, I don't see it as admitting failure. I see it as realizing what you've been using for 20 years is old and needs to be replaced. If they use something that uses industry standard model formats, like UE4 does, then something like Nifskope wouldn't even be necessary because you'd be working directly in the native format Max and/or Blender export things in. They already use an industry standard texture file format, which is why you can use a huge variety of normal image editors to work with them.

As far as their plugin format, I can't find the link now, but the way it's laid out is actually based on something EA cooked up back in the 1990s for efficient data storage. Had the whole 4 letter code thing, with form versions and everything. I think it came up as a wild Google hit when I was doing some research on TES4Edit and ESP file formats back in the Oblivion days. If they were to maintain the same data file storage system on a new engine then a lot of the modding tools we use now would only need updates for changes in the record formats. The CK would be the only thing that would need a major overhaul, and since they use it internally they'd have every motivation to do so.

Doesn't Nvidia provide DDS tools?

Speaking of which, I need to save the gimp-dds plugin from Google Code as I don't think anyone has transferred it elsewhere yet. I'll do that as soon as I can. :)

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

They do, the viewer I'm using came from them. I do any editing I need to do in Paint.net though, which handles .dds files natively. No plugins needed.