• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent

Bethesda.net Discussion

Last night during the very first Bethesda Softworks E3 conference, Pete Hines announced Bethesda.net (pronounced BethesdaNet.), which seems to be some sort of community hub and distribution network. Here's what he had to say:

You heard us talk about DOOM Snapmap, a great example of how Bethesda and its studios give our fans the ability to create and share mod content regardless of platform. Supporting mods is just one of the ways in which Bethesda is pushing the boundaries of what is possible in games. Over the last year we’ve been working on how to expand how gamers create and share that content to our communities, how they connect… both to each other as well as to us. The result of that work is a new digital platform and its called Bethesda.net. This is a home for all things Bethesda.

Bethesda.net will power features such as DOOM Snapmap that you just saw, and its already being used to support The Elder Scrolls Online on every platform for millions of players. It will be at the heart of all our games going forward and also integrate our websites into one seamless experience. You can find all the info you crave on Bethesda.net including robust forums to talk about the games you love, exclusive videos and articles, and access to games and new features.

Bethesda.net builds on our commitment to developing and supporting great AAA-quality games.

What do you all think? It sounds like their answer to the Nexus, and maybe even Steam after the whole paid mods fiasco, to me at least. Also announced is that they're going to have mod support for Fallout 4 on consoles, which is an interesting development. Perhaps this system is going to make that possible.

It's possible.There hasn't really been a platform to get mods on consoles before. If anything, I think this would be it. I wouldn't expect Creation Kit or GECK to be running on consoles, however. It seems that it will support PC made mods on consoles. Unless they come up with something like DOOM Snapmap, which is a pretty intuitive and feature rich editor that works on consoles.

Edited by Vincent

Yep, I think after seeing that quote and reading this: http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/15/fallout-4-pc-mods-work-on-xbox-one/ it's all but certain that bethesda.net is going to be some kind of official portal for mods and other stuff. Obviously FO4 and Doom are going to be there, but I wonder if they have any plans to have sections for older games too.

I can't say I'd be unhappy to see them update the Skyrim CK and point it to their own web portal instead of the Steam Workshop.

I feel like their relationship with Valve is kind of rocky right now. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have all of this in-house.

Also, there's this announcement from the Bethesda Blog:

Stay tuned in the coming months for more details on the site, which

will be the home of featured content you’ve come to expect here on

Bethesda Blog, revamped community forums, and powerful tools for

sharing game stats and content.

So it sounds like they are going to move the official forums to this new site as well.

Also, there's this announcement from the Bethesda Blog:

Stay tuned in the coming months for more details on the site, which

will be the home of featured content you’ve come to expect here on

Bethesda Blog, revamped community forums, and powerful tools for

sharing game stats and content.

So it sounds like they are going to move the official forums to this new site as well.

I had the same impression too when I notice the background image in the Fallout 4 - General forum.  Also read the description for the Fallout 4 forum.  I'm waiting for what Bethesda plan to do with the current forum (forums.bethesda.com/).

So no more IP.Board for the forums?

I for one hope they use a different forum software e.g vBulletin, XenForo and from what I understand most gaming companies (Creative Assembly) are using vBulletin for the offical Total War forum.  XenForo are similar to IP.Board though.

GACK, as much as I dislike the update to IPB 4 (which they'll eventually be forced into) I'd prefer they not change to one of those other packages because they're terrible.

I think they have already updated to IPS 4.0 or perhaps they decided to scrap IPS entirely and focus to use a special designed forum software.  Anyway, I think this might reveal their future plans.

Reposted from BSF

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere here, which is odd...

http://bethesda.net/#en/dashboard

http://bethesda.net/#en/events/article/what-is-bethesdanet/2015/07/13/5

What Is BethesdaNet?

Right. You’re here. First of all: welcome. We’re glad you came to visit, and we hope to be seeing much more of you.
But, you’re probably wondering, what exactly is BethesdaNet? Sure, you’ve poked around and seen some cool content during this initial debut of the platform. But that, friends, is just the beginning. The mere tip of that proverbial iceberg. Because right beneath the surface we have so much going on – amazing stuff that we’re building right now, for the upcoming full launch of BethesdaNet.

Of course, BethesdaNet is, in part, exactly what you see: a central place for all the latest news and info about all our games. But what you see today is only a glimpse of what you’ll be getting. We’ll be producing exclusive features – both video and written – to give you the all the info you crave, direct from the source. We’ll give you in-depth insights and exclusive access to our developers and the games they’re making. We’ll have all the content you’ve already enjoyed in places like the BethBlog, our game sites and our social channels, along with big stories you won’t find anywhere else. We’ll also be debuting a new take on game hubs, where we’ll have the latest deals and details on our lineup of titles.

BethesdaNet will also become the hub of our active and vibrant communities. Soon enough we’ll start rolling out all-new forums, where you’ll be able to chat with each other and with our worldwide community team. Our global community lead Matt Grandstaff gave me a sneak peek of these forums and, well, suffice to say they’re stuffed with some really cool features that we can’t wait to unveil to you! We’ll also have full customer support integrated into these forums, so if you ever have any concerns we’ll be there to listen and help.

And that’s just for starters. Over the course of the coming months, BethesdaNet will continue to roll out new features, including innovative ways to connect with our games and each other. Indeed, BethesdaNet is already being used to support The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited across all platforms, and will be at the heart of all our games going forward. Take DOOM SnapMap, for example: BethesdaNet will allow players to create and share their creations with anyone, regardless of platform. BethesdaNet will also give players access to new features in our games and support new ways for players to create and share all kinds of content. And that’s just for starters. We’ve got some top-secret initiatives that’ll change the way you experience your games!
So stick around. We can’t wait to hang out with you here. It’s gonna be a whole lot of fun!

EDIT: Spaced the quote for easier reading.

As far as I know, they're still on 3.4.

Regardless, ESO uses Vanilla Forums which always seemed odd. However, there's no evidence to say either way if they're changing the forum software.

And I guessed at something like this:

They're also doing mods for consoles. Perhaps that's the distribution platform for those as Microsoft doesn't like Valve very much?

So far, I'm just seeing another distribution platform. That in itself will be a headache due to the sheer amount of sites one needs to go to already in order to keep up with everything. Fragmentation will really only get worse.

As far as I know, they're still on 3.4.

Regardless, ESO uses Vanilla Forums which always seemed odd. However, there's no evidence to say either way if they're changing the forum software.

And I guessed at something like this:

They're also doing mods for consoles. Perhaps that's the distribution platform for those as Microsoft doesn't like Valve very much?

So far, I'm just seeing another distribution platform. That in itself will be a headache due to the sheer amount of sites one needs to go to already in order to keep up with everything. Fragmentation will really only get worse.

I think they were fed up with Microsoft and their demands of favouring Xbox for each DLC Bethesda released.  IIRC PS3 players have to wait for necessary game updates for months even a year after the last official patch for Xbox was released.

I don't think Microsoft and DLC had a factor in this. Microsoft has always hated Valve and, with the paid mods being on the Workshop, that wouldn't fly on the Xbox and they'd never let Steam on their console. As a result, Beth needed to come up with their own distribution method for mods just to get them on Microsoft's console.

Granted, this is all conjecture on my part.

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Should you have problem when changing your e-mail address you can always create a backup account and send Gstaff a PM about it.  I did that when I had trouble to login to my current account due to a forum issue or similar and Gstaff fix it.

I need to catch it in time, I don't feel like making another email account. :)

The issue is that the one registered with the account is one I closed years ago as I had too many accounts to keep track of so I just need to change it to one of my others in case they need us to revalidate after the move.

Mod distribution is a given. The only real question is whether or not there will be pay mods. Separating that from Valve was a necessary step regardless of how Microsoft felt about.

The forum transition has some folks on the community board at BGS a bit worried. Possibly for good reason. Beth transitioned major software once before and simply let the database in the old forum die with it. It's why my account says it joined in 2006 even though I joined in 2002 :P

Mod distribution is a given. The only real question is whether or not there will be pay mods. Separating that from Valve was a necessary step regardless of how Microsoft felt about.

The forum transition has some folks on the community board at BGS a bit worried. Possibly for good reason. Beth transitioned major software once before and simply let the database in the old forum die with it. It's why my account says it joined in 2006 even though I joined in 2002 :P

I understood that too about mod distribution.  I don't think Bethesda want to have the same massive storm from the community it had in late April, so I'm not worried about that.

I didn't know you signup on BSF in 2002 perhaps you should mention that in your profile.  As for forum transition, I wonder if Bethesda plan to scrap IPS for good and start using vBulletin as many gaming companies e.g CA, Valve for Steam are using these days.

I'd personally rather they didn't switch to vBulletin either. I don't like that software. :P

Wouldn't be enough to give up my account though. There's nothing of value stored in it so if they get hacked it won't blow back on me at all.

Well, shit: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/1528524-bethesdanet-is-now-live-new-forums-coming-soon/page-4?do=findComment&comment=24234584

Why they don't at least transfer the usernames is beyond me. That is one thing that should be easy to transfer. If they don't have a grace period, I promise you that people are going to be impersonated.

This is ridiculous...

Oh boy. I predict this ending badly. I sure hope they don't just activate them one morning and not say anything.