• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent

Bethesda.net Discussion

That's it.  Bethesda.net have gone too far this time, because this morning I got an e-mail about a password request I did not make and now when I try to login I can't login.

So, I am gonna to abandon Bethesda.net for good and my mods there, especially the mods for PS4 and XB1 are no longer supported or to be updated.   Also, Nexus is the only site I will offer support for the PC version.

Posted (edited)

I think this might have been a genuine mistake by someone trying to log in. I just logged in, and Bethesda has made things rather difficult. They just implemented a new login mechanism and I think someone was trying to log in with a similar name to yours. It's very difficult to get your login credentials.

So I think it was unintended and your account is secure. The email was sent to you, not the person attempting to reset your email, as it should be.

Having said all that, Beth.net is even worse than it was before. I still haven't figured out how to access my forum settings.

Btw, I checked and there are lots of members whose names start with Leonardo.

Edited by AndalayBay

On 2018-06-11 at 8:16 PM, AndalayBay said:

Having said all that, Beth.net is even worse than it was before.

Agreed.  Which makes me really sad, because when I visit the old forum just to read a thread or two all good memories I got from there for the last 7 years comes back to me and I miss the old forum very much. :(

And that is really depressing.

Edited by Leonardo

Ah, Beth grumbling. I'm annoyed as for the first time I had need of the CK for Skyrim SE, and couldn't find it anywhere in Steam. Finally found I had to download a completely pointless program called Bethesda Launcher just to install the CK for SE. Totally inefficient and nothing on Beth site that I found even reveals this, I had to google and read a few result pages to find it. Then uninstall the Beth Loader again afterwards as its only purpose was done.

Totally useless except for when it's useful, yes? I mean, come on. So you need their launcher to get the CK. At least you don't have to keep it running to USE the CK. I'd much rather it be handled this way than have to fight with Steam whenever I need to load the one for Skyrim LE.

As far as library usage, I bet if you looked at other stuff like this you'd find just as many odd looking things it's hooked into.

Be glad it's not an Origin clone :P

I find the thing bloody difficult to use! At least with Steam I can keep it in permanent off-line mode. Mind you, my new keyboard isn't any better. I have to log in to its stupid utility too. At least I can keep it off-line, although I wonder if it is really off-line. :questioning:

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

I find the thing bloody difficult to use! At least with Steam I can keep it in permanent off-line mode. Mind you, my new keyboard isn't any better. I have to log in to its stupid utility too. At least I can keep it off-line, although I wonder if it is really off-line. :questioning:

I agree with Arthmoor, I too find the Bethesda.net Launcher convenient when using the CK as I don't have to run the Bethesda.net Launcher every time I want to open a mod in the CK in comparison to the CK for SLE.

1 hour ago, Arthmoor said:

Totally useless except for when it's useful, yes? I mean, come on. So you need their launcher to get the CK. At least you don't have to keep it running to USE the CK. I'd much rather it be handled this way than have to fight with Steam whenever I need to load the one for Skyrim LE.

14 hours ago, Leonardo said:

I agree with Arthmoor, I too find the Bethesda.net Launcher convenient when using the CK as I don't have to run the Bethesda.net Launcher every time I want to open a mod in the CK in comparison to the CK for SLE.

That doesn't make any sense. You find the Beth Launcher conevnient because you don't need to run it every time, so you're not using it, thus it serves no purpose and is not convenient. It's bloatware, installed just to enable installing the CK, when the CK could just as easily have been installed through other methods which all players of Skyrim SE are guaranteed to have. Skyrim SE is a Steam-only title, so all players have Steam.

All Beth needed was to provide a direct download link like for Oblivion's Construction Set, or put it into Steam like the CK for Skyrim LE. Preferably both so that people who like to keep Steam open all the time can be happy and people who hate Steam can be happy too.

EDIT

And I don't know what this fight with Steam might be for CK for SLE? The old CK ran smoothly for me every time I launched it, just like the game.

Edited by Vorians

You do need to use the Bethesda.net launcher before uploading a mod to Bethesda.net and the reason for that is at least what I think it is.

Is that your Steam account is linked to your registered account at Bethesda.net, which all registered members must have in order to download and install mods via the in-game mod manager and those who are playing Skyrim on the console cannot use mods from Bethesda.net without linking a valid Steam account to the account one have on Bethesda.net.

The problem, again, with Steam is that you have to run the client. Every time. I don't want to do that. The Bethesda.net launcher allows me to avoid using it whenever I pop open the CK which means it's not inconveniencing me by sitting around waiting on Steam to load and do all of its update checks. Offline mode in Steam is an utter joke. Something I'd consider urban myth at this point.

Of course, I think my anti-Steam stance is well known in the community. I use it grudgingly because Skyrim has not yet been moved off the platform to either Bethesda's launcher or GoG. Otherwise I'd very likely have deleted it entirely and closed my account with Valve. It's a terrible platform that's far more anti-consumer than even Origin is.

So for us it's opposites with Steam and Beth Launcher. I have Steam launch on Windows start, meaning I never need to wait if I want to run any of the many games (plus old CK) I have on Steam, but Beth Launcher offers only one single thing, which is installing the CK, so for me there's no point in it existing.

You must have Skyrim on Steam, so you'd need it running to play the game, but perhaps otherwise have no further use for Steam other than to play Skyrim and to launch old CK. However That doesn't actually make the Beth Launcher useful to you either, it's simply that it doesn't require Steam. You'd be just as comfortable if the Beth Launcher didn't exist and the SE CK was a downloadable installer from their website instead.

Breaking up with Steam? Thumbs up for that. Then they could do so much better with the launcher by making it an ini configurator for both the game and kit as well as an updater. And make available APIs for displaying stats for fun stuff like this. :P

Yes, of course I'd be perfectly comfortable if the CK were available without need for the Bethesda.net launcher. That doesn't mean I'd rather have it on Steam though. I'd prefer that it be an independent download from their website like the old days with Oblivion. Since they're not going to do that again, I'll settle for using their launcher because it's not a burden on me when I need to use the SSE/FO4 CK.

I'm in the CK far more often than I am in the game these days, which I think is normal for most dedicated modders. Steam doesn't represent enough of an inconvenience for me to worry about needing to start it up for a game session. Though again, if it didn't use Steam, I'd be thrilled because I'd be able to throw that monstrosity away for good. I've had my fill of Civ 5 and Civ 6 sucks balls so I don't ever run Steam for anything besides Skyrim and Fallout 4 now. Pretty much everything else I have is available on GoG - where the client isn't even necessary to play the games.

The site has been behaving badly today and now I just got this:

504 ERROR
The request could not be satisfied.
CloudFront attempted to establish a connection with the origin, but either the attempt failed or the origin closed the connection.
If you received this error while trying to use an app or access a website, please contact the provider or website owner for assistance.
If you provide content to customers through CloudFront, you can find steps to troubleshoot and help prevent this error by following steps in the CloudFront documentation (https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonCloudFront/latest/DeveloperGuide/http-504-gateway-timeout.html).

Generated by cloudfront (CloudFront)
Request ID: 6LVFJN5-8xU2xTloNEb4DAhJ_jS9xenANsE-eDY5ZTAQKi8p0K6rvA==

:rolleyes:

I'm not surprised at all that you got that error and let me tell you that when I update the Skyrim Map Markers mod to the 1.9 version on Bethesda.net I'll probably never return there.  Except for a bug report or two.

I’m guessing they tried to do an upgrade. I noticed earlier that they’ve got a bunch of new forums, so it might be just a load issue. There were a ton of posts in Fallout 76.

Ironically I just finished creating a markdown clip library for Textpad. I used it to create a release thread for Ob XP. I’ll post it once we finalize the next release.

That didn't take much. I actually tried to check out NodeBB. I couldn't even get the stupid thing installed! They didn't bundle up the package properly and I couldn't convince them files were missing. The documentation was even crappier than IPS!

1 hour ago, AndalayBay said:

I actually tried to check out NodeBB. I couldn't even get the stupid thing installed! They didn't bundle up the package properly and I couldn't convince them files were missing. The documentation was even crappier than IPS!

Now, you know why both Arthmoor and I hates NodeBB.

I'm sure it didn't take much considering they're running the entire operation off of the same server farm. So when 76 choked, the forums choked, and the mod site choked. NodeBB mixed with Jive. Such a mess. I mean even Zenimax knew better.