Leonardo

[RELz] Qarl's Textures

File Name: Qarl's Textures

File Submitter: Leonardo

File Submitted: 06 Dec 2013

File Category: Cosmetic

Qarl's Oblivion Texture Pack can still be downloaded on FilePlanet with 2-3 more mods that is based on his textures and the link is still working, but who knows for long that link will work is hard to tell.

So that's why I mirror Qarl's Textures plus 2-3 extra mods here just to prevent his amazing Oblivion textures for being lost due to IGN's decision to shut down FilePlanet and starting to archiving FilePlanet.

Here is a list of all uploaded mods.

Click here to download this file

• Like 2

That's quite a collection! We might need to supply a description of some of those - I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people don't know what those are. Thanks Leo.

Tried out the Redimized Reduced (medium) and it works a treat. Sorted most of the LOD FPS issues with Qarls Full on this rig.

Now to get the thing working in Bain:

• Copy the unzipped omod package over to your Bash Installers folder.
  • Switch to Wrye Bash and activate the Installers Tab. It should automatically (at least in the default case) extract the OMOD to a new directory called "Qarl Texture Pack 3 Redimized and further reduced OMOD" in Bash Installers.
  • This folder will contain the subdirectories "meshes", "textures", "Detailed Terrain", "QTP3 reduced low", "02 QTP3 reduced medium", "QTP3 reduced high", and "omod conversion data"
  • Navigate to the folder "Qarl Texture Pack 3 Redimized and further reduced OMOD" and create new folders "00 Coremeshes" and "01 Coretextures".
  • Move the meshes directory into "00 Coremeshes" and move the textures directory into "01 Coretextures".
  • Rename the "QTP3 reduced low" directory to "02 QTP3 reduced low".
  • Similarly rename "QTP3 reduced medium" to "03 QTP3 reduced medium" and "QTP3 reduced high" to "04 QTP3 reduced high"
  • If you wish to include the readme, navigate back to the "omod conversion data" directory and copy the readme.rtf to the main directory: "Qarl Texture Pack 3 Redimized and further reduced OMOD".

• Repack just the folders prefixed with a number to a new archive with a name of your choosing (I called mine "QarlsRedimedReduced"), including the readme if required, with an archive program like 7-zip.
  • This will take some time, depending on the compression used.
  • Move the archive over to Bash Installers, and navigate to the lower right subpackages pane of Bash after selecting this package in the Installer's tab.

• Select "00 Coremeshes" and "01 Coretextures".

• Then for max FPS hit just install these.
  • For a smaller FPS hit select "02 QTP3 reduced low".
  • For an even smaller FPS hit select "02 QTP3 reduced low" and "QTP3 reduced medium".
  • For a minimal FPS impact, select all the packages.
  • If using UOP, then apply the UOP342 Compatibility Patch, and you should be ready to go.

• As for "Detailed Terrain", that is a separate mod and is designed to work with QTP3.
  • Repack it and install it after QTP3 if you wish.
  • Their Nexus site is still active, but the beta 2 is the last update.
  • Looks like a great mod, but I probably won't keep it as someone there mentioned shader issues with OBGE Liquid Water.
  • Update: Works well with Oblivion Reloaded
Edited by Schtearn

Thanks,- feel at right home here (Tal was one of my favourite Chess Masters :) )

Question!

It's been a while since I've modded Oblivion and it seems this is the most complete mirrior of Qarl's Textures.

Does anyone remember (or know) if the Redimized version was created from the Full QTP3 v1.3 or an earlier version? What about the parallaxed additions? Were those included?

Welcome to TAL forums! :banana:

Question! It's been a while since I've modded Oblivion and it seems this is the most complete mirrior of Qarl's Textures. Does anyone remember (or know) if the Redimized version was created from the Full QTP3 v1.3 or an earlier version? What about the parallaxed additions? Were those included?

I only like questions I can answer. :P 

That was my intention when I uploaded Qarl's Texture Pack here.  I downloaded everything I could find on FilePlanet and I'm amazed the link is still working.

I think the Redimized was created from QTP3 but I'm not sure.  Below have I copy all readme there is on FilePlanet with a link to the original content.

ReadMe

With the third version of his texture pack for Oblivion, Qarl set very high standards for the visual quality of games using high resolution textures. He showed possibilities that inspire other texture artists and even professional game designers can learn from just looking at his work. But his pack also set high demands on PC hardware. Even high-end systems still stutter with the enourmous load it demands.Features:* Most textures are 4 times the size of the originals. Some, even more. This makes things seem much clearer and sharper in-game.* A large number of meshes have been altered to take advantage of the game engine's parallax shader.* Only parts of the mesh which NEED parallaxing have the parallax flag enabled. This removes unwanted artifacts parallaxing can cause around corners.* Textures which use the parallax shader have been altered at the mipmap level so that things look very 3D from a distance but do not get the soupy artifacts associated with the parallax effect when viewed close-up.* Advanced normal map techniques used to make landscape textures seem very 3D.* Landscape color maps and normal maps edited at the mipmap level to reduce the tiling effect in the distance.* Mesh fixes from the Unofficial Oblivion Patch are included.Things retextured:* Architecture* Landscape* Rocks* Dungeons* Blood splatters, falling snowflakes, butterflies* Furniture, and other medium-sized clutterThings NOT retextured:* Clothes, armor, weapons, creatures, NPCs* Foliage, the sky* Kvatch, the Arena, and the Oblivion realm

ReadMe

This special overhaul of Qarl's fantastic Oblivion texture pack optomizes it so that it will run well on even modest hardware. View the readme for more details.This is a modified file by Tomerk of the Redimized texture pack that is even further optomized.

ReadMe

This pack update Parallax Qarl mod, which is required, to version1.1. It cannot be used as a standalone mod. It also containsrunestone patch and normal map fix, which are no more required.**********************************************************************************************************************************The Elder Scrolls IVOBLIVION:Parallaxed Qarl textures 1.1 updateby Blade9722Current Version: 1.1 (28-Oct-2006)**********************************************************************************************************************************Index:1. Description2. Version History3. Installation (IMPORTANT: read this, no standard install!)4. Detailed list of modifications.5. File requirements/Compatibility/Issues6. Permissions7. Contact Information8. Credits**********************************************************************************************************************************1. Description*****************************************************************This pack update Parallax Qarl mod, which is required, to version1.1. It cannot be used as a standalone mod. It also containsrunestone patch and normal map fix, which are no more required.**********************************************************************************************************************************2. Version History*****************************************************************V1.0 First version featuring all cities, apart from Imperial city,Fortruins and castles.v1.1 Update containing various fix, improvements and tweaks.**********************************************************************************************************************************3. Installation*****************************************************************To extract this file you will need 7zip (www.7-zip.org).To install the pack:First you need to install Parallax Qarl mod base pack.Extract this package into Oblivion/Data folder.IMPORTANT - remove the following files:runestoneext01.nifrunestoneext01glyph01.nifrunestoneext01glyph02.nifrunestoneext02.nifrunestoneext02glyph01.nifrunestoneext02glyph02.nifrunestoneext03a.nifrunestoneext03b.nifrunestoneext03c.nifrunestoneext04.nifrunestoneext04a.nifrunestoneextrocklrg01.nifrunestoneextrocklrg02.nifrunestoneextrocklrg03.nifrunestoneextrocklrg04.nifrunestoneextrocklrg05.nifrunestoneextrocksm01.nifrunestoneextrocksm02.nifrunestoneextrocksm03.nifrunestoneextrocksm04.nifrunestoneextrocksm05.nifrunestoneextrocksm06.nifrunestoneextrocksm07.nifrunestoneextrocksm08.nifrunestoneextrocksm09.niflocated in the following folder:meshesdungeonsfortruinsexteriorruinstonesexteriorI provided a removal script named "Delete_mesh.bat" to performthe operation. Simply double click on it.To uninstall:Remove installed files. All files are being installed into thefollowing subfolders:meshesarchitecturemeshesdungeonstexturesarchitecturetexturesdungeons**********************************************************************************************************************************4. Detailed list of modifications.*****************************************************************The following fixes or improvements have been included into thispack.ADVANCED PARALLAX TECHNIQUE: in some texture I manually tunedmipmaps levels of the displacement map, in a way similar to BTQmod. This allowed a greater flexibility in tuning close to midrange parallax effect."LEYAWIIN BLINKING DOOR BUG": an old and never fixed glitch comingfrom parallax cities has been fixed (well, at least I hope...)FORTRUINS: major update. In response to frequent complains aboutthe quality of parallax effect in this section, almost alldisplacement maps have been re-designed from scratch, in orderto achieve a tasteful 3D effect.CASTLES: even if they were quite good also in first version, theyhave been tuned for a more realistic stone pop out effect.RUNESTONES: the project of making glyphs carving has beenabandoned Runestones are no more parallaxed, and that's thereason behind mesh removal during installation. Runestone patchis now uselessSTONEWALLS: the close range soup reported by Qarl has been fixed.Some minor tweaks for cheydinhal stonewalls.NORMAL MAP FIX: included. No more need for the fix.**********************************************************************************************************************************5. File requirements/Compatibility/Questions*****************************************************************Of course you need Parallax Qarl base pack:http://www.elricm.com/mods.php?mod=3292http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=1957I recommend combining it with:Qarl texture pack 2 (http://qarl.rpgmods2.com/Qindex.html) Better Tiling textures for Qarl Packhttp://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=OblivionMods.Detail&id=1928Compatibility.This package is not compatible with rulz Parallax cities, howewerpart of his parallaxed textures are included in this mod.Questionsfor questions on installation issues, compatibility and so-on,I recommended this great site from Dev_Akm:http://devnull.devakm.googlepages.com/obliviontextureoverhaul**********************************************************************************************************************************6 Permissions*****************************************************************You can modify, redistribute, link, mirror this package withoutrestriction, provided that you give the right credits to Blade9722,Qarl and Rulz. Howewer, if you include part of this mod intoanother you are not allowed to give other restrictions to yourmod (i.e. your mod should be "free" as well, a sort of GNU/GPLlicense).**********************************************************************************************************************************7 Contact Information*****************************************************************Feel free to contact me at the official www.elderscrolls.comforum under the name blade9722.**********************************************************************************************************************************8 Credits*****************************************************************BethSoft for making this great game.Oblivionrules42, for being the first to develop the idea ofparallaxing textures in his three mods (not included here).Rulz, as most of his meshes and some of his textures are includedin this pack, not to mention he kindly explained me how toparallax textures.Qarl for his state-of-the-art pack, upon which most of this mod isbased, not to mention some great hints in normal map generationwhich proved very effective in displacement mapping.Dev_akm, for his skingraad roof textures which have been parallaxedand added to this mod and for his TOTO website, which is increasinggreatly the popularity of this mod.Jglor,Numbnuts for tracking down some bugged normal maps

You know. I had no idea this was even listed here. Was trying to help someone find a reliable source for this and had to stumble over it via Google. This seriously needs more publicity since the Nexus upload is a split OMOD archive that's ridiculous to even try to get right.

Further still, any chance you could get the single archives up on a Nexus entry? The one that's there now is 11 split OMOD files, and, well, OBMM blows goats :devil3:

You know. I had no idea this was even listed here. Was trying to help someone find a reliable source for this and had to stumble over it via Google. This seriously needs more publicity since the Nexus upload is a split OMOD archive that's ridiculous to even try to get right.

I think you would know if you have read Imstern's thread on AFK Mods about having a mirror for Qarl's textures, which I accepted to provide since I had all necessary files on my HDD.

Well you can download the complete archive for all 11 separate omod's by yourself and upload them to Nexus if you wish. :)

I would strongly advice against that, because I know that 7z archives that's too much compressed could be damaged anytime a least in the future and I've seen it a lot when I was active on MMH 2-3 years ago.

Also, why now of out sudden I mean this mod has been there since last year without any problems IIRC. :shrug:

Uh, what? Archives don't degrade over time. If that happens, it's due to a failing HDD or other similar situations.7z is more accessible since it's not proprietary. It also compresses better than RAR. It is far superior. I didn't bring it up then as my computer was too weak to perform the operation. That is no longer the case, though.

Uh, what? Archives don't degrade over time. If that happens, it's due to a failing HDD or other similar situations.

7z is more accessible since it's not proprietary. It also compresses better than RAR. It is far superior. I didn't bring it up then as my computer was too weak to perform the operation. That is no longer the case, though.

Actually they does that overtime if left to be inaccessible or if 7z archive(s) have too many empty folders e.g Data\<mod files> inside of an archive in fact in any archive, but AFAIK both ace and too compressed archives can and will be utterly damaged for good beyond repair.  Trust me I know for sure.

Edited by Leonardo

Speaking of which, I just got an idea for another guide. I'm going to do a writeup breaking down all of the archive formats. :DHow does that sound?

You don't have to.  Is already one available on Wiki-Pedia.

Leo, I don't give a damn if they already exist. It's useful and a new take on it. Saying that I shouldn't do it because it's on Wikipedia is like saying you shouldn't go fishing because you can go to the store.I want to write it and write it I shall.

DS, you asked and Leo answered. Don't get testy because you don't like the answer. :coffee:

I think you would know if you have read Imstern's thread on AFK Mods about having a mirror for Qarl's textures, which I accepted to provide since I had all necessary files on my HDD.

Well you can download the complete archive for all 11 separate omod's by yourself and upload them to Nexus if you wish. :)

Totally forgot about that thread actually (otherwise I would have referred the person to it) :P

I'd tack a mirror up on AFK but 5GB is a significant space investment for us right now. I also don't particularly feel like attracting the attention on Nexus when technically I don't have permission to upload it there :)

Tell you what I can with your authority upload the most wanted files of Qarl's Textures on AFK Mods and let people know where they can find the rest of Qarl's Texture mods.  Is a 3.5 Gb mirror to much for AFK Mods?