Leonardo

[RELz] Qarl's Textures

I've taken the self-extracting archive in the Zip file and have converted it into a 7z archive consisting of loose files and removed some redundant files (the readme was in the root of the Zip and also in the self-extracting archive, so I removed one of them).

If desired, I can upload this archive to save people a step when trying to install things.

• Like 1

I think that would be a huge benefit and make it that much more BAIN friendly.

Nice, grabbing, though someone may need to go nudge the host. 440K/s is kinda bad :P

440K/s is kinda bad :P

It is.  Although that's no more for me since I've fiber cable for 2-3 years now. 

I'm going through these again and need to ask: is there a reason that the 11 OMODS are uploaded twice, once as a separate file and again repackaged into the same archive? That seems like needless duplication. I also need to ask if its really necessary to have them as 11 files anyways as there's also a package with just a single OMOD. Wouldn't it he better to just have this single file instead of the other two?

I'd have to take a look, but Leo may have done that so that people could pick and choose what they wanted to download. It would be better if it was only one package from our point of view. :)

No one is just going to grab part of it these days, methinks. I can understand doing it 8 years ago when download managers weren't built into the browsers but it's now possible to stop and resume from all browsers without add-ons. I think browser progress has made it obsolete and I'm not sure what purpose the package with 11 OMODS in one archive served. :shrug:

The original purpose was to get around the old file size limits at Nexus. There's no reason to keep doing that in 2015.

I'm going through these again and need to ask: is there a reason that the 11 OMODS are uploaded twice, once as a separate file and again repackaged into the same archive? That seems like needless duplication. I also need to ask if its really necessary to have them as 11 files anyways as there's also a package with just a single OMOD. Wouldn't it he better to just have this single file instead of the other two?

I'd have to take a look, but Leo may have done that so that people could pick and choose what they wanted to download. It would be better if it was only one package from our point of view. :)

Yes there is a reason why I did this, because I wanted to preserve Qarl's Textures as it is on a dying FilePlanet and offer a second mirror for people who must register on Nexus in order to download Qarl's Textures.

And don't forget Imstern's plea for Qarl's Textures here.

No one is just going to grab part of it these days, methinks. I can understand doing it 8 years ago when download managers weren't built into the browsers but it's now possible to stop and resume from all browsers without add-ons. I think browser progress has made it obsolete and I'm not sure what purpose the package with 11 OMODS in one archive served. :shrug:

I know people who would. Not everybody has high-speed internet.

DS

What Anda said.  I'm a lucky guy who has high-speed internet.

The original purpose was to get around the old file size limits at Nexus. There's no reason to keep doing that in 2015.

Yep it sure was.  In this case I disagree because I practice the purpose of MMH well not everything, but mostly the purpose of archiving a legacy of TES modding history.

The mod can be archived just fine as a single file instead of 11 of them. It's arguably easier to maintain as a single archive too. Plus as deaths_soul said, all modern browsers have suspend/resume for downloads now.

The mod can be archived just fine as a single file instead of 11 of them. It's arguably easier to maintain as a single archive too. Plus as deaths_soul said, all modern browsers have suspend/resume for downloads now.

Does IE has that too?   Personally I doubt that.

I for one have difficulty with anything larger than about 400 mb. With Chrome there's a bug where you can download a 1gb file with "no errors". The only catch it turns out to be 350mb or something,- corrupted. IE is slighly better, but the error recovery isn't perfect either.

Things like FDM used to be great, but now seem to be packed with malware, and really par with browsers these days anyway.

Out here it can be a bad line. This happens with any server. Dread the SMIM updates in particular.  :frightened:

Yeah, it sounds like your network connection. I've been downloading some massive files lately thanks to GOG's freebies (Witcher 2 was 20 GB) and haven't had any problems.

It could also be something with your settings. You don't have a timeout set under your router settings, do you?

Yeah, look I might be a lone voice crying out in the wilderness.

What we want is more data collection on session timeouts as per physical location. Precious little done since this precious little. I'm under a managed domain- all & good, but now they kindly won't allow one to view settings anymore without going through a scary looking wizard.

Will post to the ISP to see if they can navigate my way through their "helpful" program without breaking something.