• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
AndalayBay

[RELz] Oblivion XP

If there is someone who'd like to take a crack at this, here's the line:

<_initializePrompt>Welcome to Oblivion XP!%r%rSince this is the first time you are using this system, the level-up menu will now open so that you can restore your attributes and skills to your current level.</_initializePrompt>

Just the English between the tags needs to be translated, not the xml tags themselves. The xml tags are <_initializePrompt> and </_initializePrompt>.

I'm currently working on a new version, which I've chosen to label 4.3. I think I have fixed the initialization bug that prevented you from spending all your skill and attribute points when you added Oblivion XP to an existing game. The new code requires that you initialize immediately, so I have changed the message that's displayed as well. I have asked our translators to supply replacements for the new line. I just have to do a bit more testing to make sure the skill and attribute points are being calculated correctly.

Does anyone here speak German? Klaus has left the community. I can translate the line into German, but I'll have to use an online translator since my German isn't good enough.

I've got another fix to do and then the new version will be ready.

Is the initialization bug when you first use the mod and select to redistribute your points and then should be taken to the level-up screen but you 're not?  If so, then I guess you know about it.

Now if not, I'm not getting the level-up screen.  I do get a quick flash of the level-up icon.  I have to you the console to force it.

That's the bug and it's fixed in the new version. Even if you do get the level-up screen open, you won't be able to spend all your attribute and skill points either. That's been fixed too.

That's the bug and it's fixed in the new version. Even if you do get the level-up screen open, you won't be able to spend all your attribute and skill points either. That's been fixed too.

Not being able to spend all your Attribute and skill points, is that because of the caps that are in the ini file?  If so, then are you just disabling them for the initialization?  If so, that's cool.  I thought it was strange that I had all these point and could only spend a handful of them.  My poor character had level 2 stats living in a level 8 world.  So I just changed the cap amounts for the time being so I could spend all my points. 

Nope, that wasn't it. Your workaround is what the script was doing. However before Kyoma and I redid all the menus, the script calculations of the new numbers for attributes and skills was sticking and the menu was opening as it should. For some reason, after the rewrite, the menu no longer opened as it should and the main script kept running. Further down in the script are the resets for normal game play - those were being executed before they should. This not only caused the menu to not open at all, it also caused the incorrect values if it was forced open.

I've now fixed the code so that the proper conditions are set. The script can run through as many times as it takes until the menu opens and the conditions won't be reset until the menu has opened and the player has levelled their character. However this also means that initializing your character is no longer an option, as it was before. You know have to do it immediately.

I don't know if it was the updates to OBSE, the updates to MenuQue, our own rewrite of the menus or all of the above that broke it. All I can say is it used to work and no longer did after version 4.2.4.

I have found a few more issues that I would like to bring to your attention. 

When I started one of my saves that has OBXP installed, I got a vanilla skill message saying that my Athletics skill has increased.  I checked the stats screen and it indeed was increased.  This has only happened once in the say 20 to 30 times I have loaded a save with the mod installed.  Doesn't seem like a big deal but I thought I would just let you know.

I am also getting Companion Kills for creature companions that are not currently in a Follow package  I haven't tested NPC companions.  I did a lot of testing and snooping around your code and I understand why it is happening and can recreate it at will.  The problem seems to be the OBSE functions getNumFollowers and getNthFollower.  When I took my companion out of a follow package, getNumFollowers still reported that I had a follower.  Now I started thinking this could be dangerous in the WHILE loop. What would happen when you give getNthFollower an index for a reference that doesn't exist?  Could make the script unstable or crash.  I then checked getNthFollower and it was returning the reference of the companion that was no longer in a the Follow package. 

Now that's the problem but how to create it.  If you load a game that has your companion NOT in a Follow package everything works as it should.  When you put the companion in a Follow package and then later on remove them from the Follow package, the problem starts.  From there on out you will get Companion Kills.  To fix it you need to save the game while the companion is NOT in a Follow package.  Seems the restarting of the game clears things out.  I didn't test whether reloading a save from the Main Menu clears things up as I always restart the game to load a save.

This isn't a terrible thing as I don't mind getting some XP from companions, but from looking at the code, it seems it isn't running as you planned.

One a side note, sometimes I put my companions in a Wander package while I am doing certain things like picking ingredients.  That way they can run around get some exercise and clear out the area of baddies.  In one of my companion mods, I have a package where they Wander around me as I move through forests.  In this broken system, they could give me XP but the way you intended it to work, they would not.   Now if this system was fixed to work as it should, I would like to find away to have my companion give me XP while Wandering around me.  But that is a discussion for another day!!

I have a few more issues but I want to look into them some more so I can give you better information

Yes, it's a known issue that getNumFollowers and getNthFollower don't work properly. I'll take a look and see if I can some up with a quick fix, but if not, I'm not going to worry about it.

I don't know if it's the result of some changes to OBSE or what, but I've started to have some issues with Ob XP when a saved game is loaded from the desktop. For example, if you saved the game after you've been notified that you've gained a level but before you actually levelled your character, when you load that save from the desktop, the damned level-up menu will open immediately and you have to close it and reload your game again. This might be due to the fixes for the menu not opening when you've installed Oblivion XP on an existing game, but it shouldn't be hitting that section of code in this case. You're welcome to take a look at that if you like when I release the new version. ;)

I appreciate your interest and offers of help, but you should know that I've also been a professional programmer for over 20 years. ;)

Yes, it's a known issue that getNumFollowers and getNthFollower don't work properly. I'll take a look and see if I can some up with a quick fix, but if not, I'm not going to worry about it.

I don't know if it's the result of some changes to OBSE or what, but I've started to have some issues with Ob XP when a saved game is loaded from the desktop. For example, if you saved the game after you've been notified that you've gained a level but before you actually levelled your character, when you load that save from the desktop, the damned level-up menu will open immediately and you have to close it and reload your game again. This might be due to the fixes for the menu not opening when you've installed Oblivion XP on an existing game, but it shouldn't be hitting that section of code in this case. You're welcome to take a look at that if you like when I release the new version. ;)

I appreciate your interest and offers of help, but you should know that I've also been a professional programmer for over 20 years. ;)

I have started to work on a fix for the companion issue for my personal use.  I play heavily with creature companions so I am worried about it, well just a little. ;)  I am working on adding an array to hold companion refs in one of your main quest.  I can then add my companions and the array can be used to check for companion kills.  I will use the same method to add the companions as you do to make a mod OBXP friendly.  This opens up many conditions on how companions give XP.  I have another mod I am working on that uses this idea.  Should be pretty easy to work into your mod.  I will share it with you when its done if you like. 

Sometimes I wonder what the game developers are thinking when the make these games.  My first love for modding is auto racing games.  I do modeling and create the car data files for thing like engines and tyres and such.  One the games I deal with you would think was made by ten year old children with some of the quirks it has.   There is no scripting in these racing games so when I feel like doing some game coding I go to Oblivion to get my fix. 

I figured you had coding experience from what I have read on these forums. 

Any ETA on releasing for testing?

Ok, well if you'd like to develop this further, let's start a new thread like we've done with HUD Status Bars. I can make some suggestions on how you might hook into Ob XP's code or how we might structure things if I adopt your fix. My main concern is performance. I believe the only way to fix the bug with the OBSE functions is to evaluate the current AI package of the follower. However I think this would be quite intensive.

Oblivion XP used to scan all surrounding cells for enemies and allies. It would then award points for kills and credit companion kills. This caused a lot of problems for people who didn't have powerful machines or people with large load orders. I rewrote all the scripts to use events once the OBSE guys gave me a couple more functions so I could get everything switched.

So at this point, I'm just using the followers functions and find that the problems those functions have are only an issue for people such as yourself who use a large number of companions. But if you'd like to poke about and see if you can find a fix to make things work a little better, then I'll be happy to help and use your fix if it doesn't impede performance.

In terms of an ETA for the new version, I've run into a snag. I posted my issue in the quick answers thread in the Bethesda CS forum. I haven't looked yet to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Edit: Damn, I'm losing my touch! I forgot all about the game settings for attributes. :rolleyes: I should be able to get some work done on it tonight now.

Edited by AndalayBay

All new content and fixes have been added. I have to test the new levelling menu in all the UI's and then I'll release the new version for some additional testing.

Here are a couple of shots showing the new menu in DarNified:

gallery_1_38_94862.jpg

gallery_1_38_138621.jpg

I have a question: do the Oblivion XP support the Enchanting skill from FEA?

If not, with MenuQue command GetAllSkill you should be able to retrieve it and make it "available" in the level-up menu

Yeah, I'll have to investigate a bit more and add some more tests to things so that the regular processing doesn't occur for the X-skills, but I should be able to add support so X-skills can be advanced in the level-up menu.

Ok, well if you'd like to develop this further, let's start a new thread like we've done with HUD Status Bars. I can make some suggestions on how you might hook into Ob XP's code or how we might structure things if I adopt your fix. My main concern is performance. I believe the only way to fix the bug with the OBSE functions is to evaluate the current AI package of the follower. However I think this would be quite intensive.

Oblivion XP used to scan all surrounding cells for enemies and allies. It would then award points for kills and credit companion kills. This caused a lot of problems for people who didn't have powerful machines or people with large load orders. I rewrote all the scripts to use events once the OBSE guys gave me a couple more functions so I could get everything switched.

So at this point, I'm just using the followers functions and find that the problems those functions have are only an issue for people such as yourself who use a large number of companions. But if you'd like to poke about and see if you can find a fix to make things work a little better, then I'll be happy to help and use your fix if it doesn't impede performance.

In terms of an ETA for the new version, I've run into a snag. I posted my issue in the quick answers thread in the Bethesda CS forum. I haven't looked yet to see if anyone has any suggestions.

Edit: Damn, I'm losing my touch! I forgot all about the game settings for attributes. :rolleyes: I should be able to get some work done on it tonight now.

Yea starting a new thread would be good.  Should I start the thread or should you?  I do have some ideas that I would like to run by you. 

I currently made a very small change to the code and it works as it should so far.  Haven't done a lot of testing on it, so fingers crossed.

Yea starting a new thread would be good.  Should I start the thread or should you?  I do have some ideas that I would like to run by you. 

I currently made a very small change to the code and it works as it should so far.  Haven't done a lot of testing on it, so fingers crossed.

You go ahead. The new version is still being a pain. I'm getting very strange and inconsistent behaviour. *sigh*

No, I don't think Oblivion can support that kind of system and I have no idea how to go about doing it. I also need to get Oblivion XP finished up so I can move on to Skyrim. :)

The 1.1 patch is compatible with 2.1.2. There's only one quest that isn't explicitly supported and you'll still get points from the generic quest award handler.

Zaldir has built in support for Ob XP in KR 3, so the patch is no longer needed with that version.

I'll update the documentation once I release the new version.