• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Sue

Movie Quote Game

On 11/19/2017 at 4:07 AM, Vorians said:

So it's likely to be one of:

Jackie Chan (but he started in the 70s and most films were from the 80s)

Jet Li

Jean Claude Van Dam(me?) (but he started in the 80s; still doing many films since 90s, but they aren't very successful)

That American guy with the beard whose films are really lame and cheesy but Americans love him (was in Expendables 2 or 3, don't know if he's done anything else between 90s and then - did he also start in the 80s?)

So, it's probably not anyone in the above list after all as I just dismissed most of them as viable. I'm good at making lists, but not necessarily accurate or useful ones.

Turns out you are better at making lists than you thought.  You did indeed name the actor.

Not Drunken Master or Beverly Hills Ninja--not a comedy (on purpose--hehe).

Gah, I think I even remember the scene. It's tickling at the back of my brain & making me itch. I was very into martial arts films, especially the ones out of Hong Kong back in the 90's when I was practicing, and KNOW i've seen this. Grrr. One of the guys from my studio worked at Blockbuster & could hook me up with some rare titles. (Now easily findable on the net.) :P

Sidoshi is Japanese though, so probably not Jackie or Jet Li, though there were some cultural crossovers.. Probably Chuck Norris or Van Damme. Never saw much of their stuff though.

Edited by RavenMind

I remember thinking it was weird that I'd never heard the term Shidoshi before, though my interests were in the Chinese styles, Ai-Ki-Do, and Brazilian (Gracie) Jiu-Jitsu. I don't think I ever found out what it meant.

Aghh, you've got me stumped Malonn. Good job. :)

Edited by RavenMind

Oh yes, it's correct. That's why it stuck in the back of my head; because it was a term I thought I should have known & could find nothing on. Unfortunately, looking up the term lead me straight to the movie, so I'm out. :( That's okay, I wasn't going to get it anyway. At least there's more info on the term now, and why I couldn't find it back in, oh, 1999 or so when I first watched it. Nobody take that info as a hint, because it's not. :)  Good job Malonn.

I'm thinking the participants are stumped.  The quote was from Bloodsport

So, I give another quote, right?  Okay, let me choose from a more popular movie...

A1: "Maybe they're just a couple of Fidlam Bens."

A2: "I've been called a lot of things mister, but I ain't never been called...

A1: --"fidlam Bens."

A2: "Fidlam Bens, right.  Well, if I knew what in the hell that meant, I'd be inclined to take offense..."

Edited by Malonn

Admittedly, Bloodsport was a poor choice--low budget, not popular--but I figured I'd test the crowd some.

But yeah, the newest quote is from a pretty popular movie.  Nominated in quite a few categories in the Oscar's for it's year (2003 Oscar's--dear, I do believe I threw it.).

Well, I guess I didn't throw it.  No, it's not from one of the Lord of the Rings.  It wasn't as popular commercially as it was critically.  It was a pretty big budget movie though.

Oh boy. Pretty much every movie the "critics" like, I hate, and vice-versa. And if it was nominated for an Oscar then I'm sure I didn't see it. LOL  Yeah, I guess I'm shallow when it comes to movies.

Let's see, '03. That's the year I started dating my wife. Yeah, I only remember going to see LOTR with her & thinking how cool it was she'd want to go see that kind of movie.

Fidlam Bens.. that sounds like a term tegeusCromis might know. The dialog of A2 strikes me as 19th century.. Did the Robert Downey Jr. Sherlock Holmes movies come out around that time? I quite liked those, therefore the critics probably hated them. lol

Edited by RavenMind

It is a 19th century period movie.  I figured fidlam Bens would be quite the hint--but now I'm thinking it's more than likely people won't know what was said in the movie.  A "what did he say" kinda thing.

Nope and nope.  2003 Oscars--keep in mind the Oscars are held in the early months of the following year, so the film was released in 2002.  Just a hint.  But I guess people don't memorize each year's Oscars.

More from that scene, including a character name:

A1: "Fidlam Bens is a fellow who'll steal anything--dead or alive--because he's too low to work up a decent lay for himself.  Count that careful, Bill!"

Edited by Malonn

Hey.  Sorry for the late reply.  I was away for the Christmas/New Year's holiday season.

Nope.  Titanic was a nineties movie.

I'll just throw this one.  It's Gangs of New York.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

Maybe this one will be easier?  Quite the popular *trilogy* (hint hint)

A1: "Take a gander at them moccasins!  What kind of skins is them?"

A2: "And what's that writing mean?!  Neekay?  Is that some sort of engine talk?"