• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Phase 1 is complete. There will be a second round once Linode gets a patch. I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.
TheDarkListener34

Windows 10

Inserted a new sound card in the PC and booted W10 out of hibernation. Not recommended in 1703 as it stalled and then rebooted. Somehow all my N++ settings got nuked from the local directory.  The ones in Roaming were old and useless. :(

Yeah, it really won't work unless the PC is off completely. You could fry the motherboard that way. Windows won't recognize the hardware properly until it can register it in the BIOS, or whatever today's equivalent is. :P

Run that one by us again please:  :crazy:

An acronym a day keeps a cod a way. Thus we don't want to be swimming in ...

Oh give it up before we get acrinomious- but there's sure to be a tunaverse of possiblities just around the corner!

For those of us who can't remember the constituents of  UEFI, for the time being let's call it an anacronym!

Just going to add this in for future reference if anyone wishes to sample the Edge browser.

Things get "corrupted" easily with Edge, so MS often advise to reset it, however this nukes all the favourites shortcuts!, so there will be pain.

• Navigate to C:\Users\%Username%\AppData\Local\Packages (substitute %Username%\ with your User name
  • Select and try to delete the Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe folder.  If you get a "Folder Access Denied" prompt, simply click Continue. Also, there might be some content that you won't be able to delete. If this is the case, in the dialog box,  select to skip the files.
  • After that, restart your computer. 
  • Once done rebooting your your computer, type Windows PowerShell in the Searchbox on the taskbar, right-click on the PowerShell, then click Run as administrator. Type the following command,
    cd C:\Users\%Username%\
     then press Enter:
  • After that, type this command and then press enter:
Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml" -Verbose}
Edited by Schtearn

Got a few hiccups in the shell interface of explorer:

Spoiler

Faulting application name: explorer.exe, version: 10.0.15063.674, time stamp: 0xd8364343
Faulting module name: DUI70.dll, version: 10.0.15063.502, time stamp: 0xaeb54772
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000004613a
Faulting process ID: 0x4978
Faulting application start time: 0x01d36031d2139881
Faulting application path: C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\DUI70.dll
Report ID: febf0686-a20d-44ba-b364-18ffe4b0035d
Faulting package full name: 

SFC didn't find any problems, so DUI70 is good. Just going to have to live with it for the time being.

Note to self: Run Drivecleanup sometime.

Yes! Configuring N++ to edit text files- and then editing them from the context menu.

Suspect it's a timing issue with the updated registry setting. When explorer crashes for different reasons/actions it can mess up/reset the desktop as well!

Edited by Schtearn

Thanks, might be looking at doing that at some stage. :)

Well this time Explorer just hung. The some of the items on the taskbar never repainted and all the other TB functions were disabled. This may be fallout associated with upgrading W10 & keeping old settings and programs etc. (no clean install).

The program explorer.exe version 10.0.15063.674 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 5138
 Start Time: 01d36065d33f5943
 Termination Time: 0
 Application Path: C:\Windows\explorer.exe
 Report Id: fa5b8924-f424-434b-94d6-311856e60fb0
 Faulting package full name: 
 Faulting package-relative application ID: 

Edit: It may have been related to this prior resume from hibernate/sleep issue

The system firmware has changed the processor's memory type range registers (MTRRs) across a sleep state transition (S4). This can result in reduced resume performance.

We're amassing quite a menagerie of errors here. :P

Edited by Schtearn

Explore restarts itself.

Going to perform a reboot actually. That hang actually did mess the desktop. And then N++ chucked a wobbly:

The program notepad++.exe version 7.5.1.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Security and Maintenance control panel.
 Process ID: 3328

Not relevant to your issue, but something you might find useful. I'm using a handy little program called Desktop Restore. Lets you save your Desktop configuration (icon placement etc.) via context menu, and easily restore it when something causes your icons to go all over the place.

Thanks, never rebooted after a hang when quitting the CK. Bad things happen if you don't. And now with all the extra DLC crap added on to the (almost) manageable Oldrim vanilla data it's taken things into borkfest territory.

Yes, logged a ticket with Bethesda, haven't heard back from them for months now. Better log another one just in case they lost it :blink:

Edited by Schtearn

The 1709 update did nothing regarding the metrics issue on this machine. In fact, it seems to have worsened whenever the taskbar is repositioned- and then returned to its original position as noted in this thread- but the experience is not widely shared as most likely not repro'd on newer H/W. :(

Interesting. I read both threads & tried to repro for you.

I switched over to the machine I'm running a Radeon HD 7950 on Crimson ReLive v17.11.1. Opened a NirSoft app which always opens with screen coord (0,0), which since I keep my taskbar on top, always has the titlebar & menu hidden. I tried moving the task bar to the right, and to various other locations, but couldn't reproduce. (thankfully) :P

Edited by RavenMind

It's related to the secondary monitor. Moving the taskbar seems to upset the driver, where, further to the issues just described, Cortana, when invoked, can appear in the other monitor- but only after right-clicking the bottom left "Window" taskbar icon and selecting "run". This little run window will pop over into the second monitor, and when it is dragged back into the original monitor it's the wrong size! Turning off the other monitor doesn't help.

Edit: In actual fact, the taskbars of the two monitors are swapped when the first is moved to the right of the screen, this somehow alters the selection of the main display. The co-ords of the other (TV) monitor are situated to the right, and probably overlaps it by a pixel or two. Moving it to the left or top instead, there is no problem.

It's basically the same problem as described here where the other (unused) monitor is the real primary. Go to Settings & "Select and re-arrange displays" and choose 2 and click "Make this my main display" cures it.

Edited by Schtearn