• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
WalkerInShadows

Bug report

That's odd. Arthmoor played it with TIE and it was fine.

He had a problem lifting the body, so that's why I put some feather potions on the table, but he was able to finish the quest. It is hard to kill Zanidil in one shot, so you might get a bounty, but you should still be able to do the quest. Where did you kill Zanidil?

I killed him in his bedroom, after numerous tries of different scenarios. The patrolling guards were pretty far away and it was my only opportunity. I took his body in a split second after he died and put him in a nearby container. The guards were already angry but I cast an invisibility spell before they could see me and got the Oblivion out. No update, not even the "I have forfeited my bonus".

I think I did everything way too quickly and the game didn't have enough time to update the quest entry. I then went and did it manually and got the bonus.

Edited by Envy123

Yeah I think you were basically being detected.

If you kill him while he's sleeping in bed, I raise a subzone around you to help negate the detection. That way if you don't or can't one-hit-kill him, you'll get a small bounty, but can still hide his body in time to complete the quest. There are several places where you can hide his body, but some of them still have a high chance of detection. The best place to hide his body is in one of the crates in the corner. Not only is that the lowest chance of detection, but you can also hide behind the crates. Then you can sneak behind the guard and escape.

I had to custom code the detection. I'm not sure how it would handle an invisibility spell. I'll take a look at that.

Yeah I think you were basically being detected.

If you kill him while he's sleeping in bed, I raise a subzone around you to help negate the detection. That way if you don't or can't one-hit-kill him, you'll get a small bounty, but can still hide his body in time to complete the quest. There are several places where you can hide his body, but some of them still have a high chance of detection. The best place to hide his body is in one of the crates in the corner. Not only is that the lowest chance of detection, but you can also hide behind the crates. Then you can sneak behind the guard and escape.

I had to custom code the detection. I'm not sure how it would handle an invisibility spell. I'll take a look at that.

Ah, the first time I did the quest (with FCOM), I killed him while he was sleeping and I didn't use an invisibility spell.

This time, I killed him while he was standing when I was invisible. I quickly took his body, hid it in a container which was the closest to his bed, quickly cast an invisibility spell and got out. The guards were still in the hallway at the time.

The detection was custom done? No wonder it choked up on invisibility. :P

That's the worst place to hide the body. You are guaranteed to fail the quest there, invisibility or not. They will find the body.

I'll have to look at how I did it again. The game's base detection doesn't work very well and I had to supplement it.

That's the worst place to hide the body. You are guaranteed to fail the quest there, invisibility or not. They will find the body.

I'll have to look at how I did it again. The game's base detection doesn't work very well and I had to supplement it.

The guards were still in the hallway when I was exiting the manor. I felt that they could've found the body earlier if I put it in the usual crate close to the trapdoor.

I tried putting the body in that crate before but my invisibility wore off and I got detected by the guards. So I reloaded and did everything quickly.

Invisibility worked fine in the Roderick and Valen Dreth vanilla quests, but somehow in this one, I do get detected with an invisibility spell and the guards are miles away.

The hiding spots are coded with probabilities of detection. We coded the areas near the bed to have the highest probabilities. The crates are lower because they are farther away and the idea is that the guards would have to look in each crate. There are more of them.

I will take a look at the detection scripting again. We intended it to be harder. It's too easy to sneak and hide in vanilla. :P

The hiding spots are coded with probabilities of detection. We coded the areas near the bed to have the highest probabilities. The crates are lower because they are farther away and the idea is that the guards would have to look in each crate. There are more of them.

I will take a look at the detection scripting again. We intended it to be harder. It's too easy to sneak and hide in vanilla. :P

The problem was that the guards were closer to the crates when I hightailed it out of there. I put the body in a bedroom container because it will take a few precious seconds for them to find it, and if I activated the crates, I would've been detected, because the invisibility spell would've worn off.

I know that it was intended for the player to kill the lord and put him in one of the crates closer to the trapdoor, and maybe my mistake was that I didn't wait until the lord was sleeping.

Edited by Envy123

Everybody has a different way of doing that quest. One of the more innovative ways:

One player with high sneak just killed everybody. :lol:

I tried that way as well - didn't work with my low sneak skill. :P

I do wonder why there's a bit of a lag between doing an action and getting the all-important quest update in Oblivion in general.

I think it's just the cycling through all the scripts. It's very hard to do event driven programming in Oblivion.

Understood.

For some reason, the journal entries only update inside the manor. Was there a GetInCell condition in the script?

Edited by Envy123

It depends on the journal entries. You can't successfully complete the quest until you've exited the manor and gotten away from the guards. You can still be caught if you leave by the front door, for example. There is a journal update outside if you've successfully escaped.

Found a couple minor things for you:

* The steps outside the Necromancer's Stronghold (sorry, didn't get the FormID) need to be lowered slightly - you can see a gap at the top.

* Tree 0012D8C outside the Red Ring Outpost (DBCOutpostExterior) is floating.

Great - thanks. Could you tell me which Necromancer’s stronghold you’re referring to? I think I know the one you mean, but there are a couple that are Aylied ruins, depending on who you choose to help. Is it the one where you have Vorana (sp?) follow you?