• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Visceral Moonlight

[RELz] BOSS

What does BEST stand for? BOSS is an acronym you know. ;)

I have a Mac, but there's no way to install any Elder Scrolls game on it, so there's no sense in trying it. If you used a VM, then BOSS would be running under Windows anyway.

Posted (edited)

Can you get some screenshots? I've never actually used it before and I'm not sure it works on my operating system (but BOSS does! I've gone to great lengths to ensure it's operating system agnostic; it should even work on OSX but I don't have a Macintosh I can use to compile BOSS to check).

But of course.  Here is a link to a few photos.  The interface is simple and intuitive.  If you can even improve upon it, that would be awesome.  I don't know if the author will be around to update BUM for this newest BOSS you are working on.  But if you merge the best parts of BUM then who cares.

Are you really going to rename BOSS to BESST?  Are you going to add support for Morrowind?  I think Skyrim is pretty well handled by LOOT.  But, IMO, LOOT makes terrible decisions for Oblivion.  BOSS (BESST) must live on.

So where do you stand on BOSS progress, Visceral?  Will we be able to see an beta soon?

Edited by Malonn

I'm having trouble getting them to load, Photobucket doesn't like my set up it appears. We allow image embeds with image tags, could you try that?

I'm thinking about the rename. the "O" in BOSS stands for Oblivion so the name isn't all that accurate now. :)

I'm probably adding Morrowind support. I talked with Dragon32 already and have gotten his blessing, I'm just waiting to do the work until I've started converting the current master lists to the new format I've been working on. I've been thinking about making load order handled by plugins to make it easier to add support for different load order types but I haven't made any definite decision on that just yet.

It's been slow going but I'm still working on the GUI. After I'm done tinkering with the layout, I need to finish up the implementation code for it. After that, I need to finish writing up the new master list format (it'll be data-centric with various advantages but it will be quite a change, I'll detail more of it when I start doing more with it). I don't have a timeframe yet on a release but I'm hoping it won't be too much longer. I've been working on it for a year and a half already! :P

I'm having trouble getting them to load, Photobucket doesn't like my set up it appears. We allow image embeds with image tags, could you try that?

I did not know you could embed pics here.  Let me do that.

Untitled3.png

Untitled2.png

Untitled.png

As far as development: what are you writing it in?  How will the management of the masterlist be handled when it is released?

Thanks, I'll see what I can do with the layout. I've never been good with UI layouts so this definitely helps. :)

It's written in C++ and Protocol Buffers will likely be used for the master list while the UI is written using gtkmm and Glade. Not only will this allow me to remove wxWidgets (it uses GTK as the backend but is much more than a wrapper while gtkmm is mostly just a wrapper) and Boost, Protocol Buffers will aid in easier master list maintenance and speed increases since the program won't need to read in everything and then translate all of the commands instead of just what it needs.

This post has more details regarding the format: http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/topic/15368-relz-boss/?view=findpost&p=342329

:)

Posted (edited)

Something like this (the master list window is the second image)?

paned_main_window

masterlist_window

Ignore the blank space at the top of the main window, that's where I've hidden some old elements I'm still playing with so they wouldn't get in the way of the screenshot. I haven't moved the editing controls around yet, trying to think of a way to compact them all since BOSS has some different controls than BUM it appears. :)

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Yeah.  It would be neat if you could add in the Masterlist keyword search and Masterlist Category searching too.  Those two really let you speed through the masterlist.

That may be doable but question: would it be preferable to have longer response times or higher memory usage? The entire thing could be loaded and parsed at startup or it could be done as the groups are expanded. May need to look at it more when the new format is implemented but I like to think of things early on. :)

What levels are you looking at? An extra second, an extra 10 seconds, an extra minute for response times? An extra 20mb, an extra 500mb, an extra 4gb of memory usage?

That may be doable but question: would it be preferable to have longer response times or higher memory usage? The entire thing could be loaded and parsed at startup or it could be done as the groups are expanded. May need to look at it more when the new format is implemented but I like to think of things early on. :)

Aside from absurdity, I suppose I would lean towards functionality over a leaner footprint.  Have that list respond -- and be 100% available for parsing -- over using less memory.  I'm doubting any modern rig has less than 8GBs today, with 16GBs being the sweet spot.  For gaming, at least.

Posted (edited)

I can do that, I can always rework it later if the resource use is too much. I'll try to throw a basic layout together shortly. Glade may be a real pain but it's great for prototyping UI layouts. Of course, the XML file it generates doesn't conform all that well to GTK's API so I'll need to clean it up at some point.

Edit:

Or not. I could be mistaken but it seems as though Glade doesn't have full support for the TreeView widget. I'll keep trying but it may need to wait until I start typing up all the classes.

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

The Userlist stuff is just something I'd like to see integrated.  Develop it the way you think is best.  I can be plenty patient -- I still have BUM for all the Userlist needs.

Aside from absurdity, I suppose I would lean towards functionality over a leaner footprint.  Have that list respond -- and be 100% available for parsing -- over using less memory.  I'm doubting any modern rig has less than 8GBs today, with 16GBs being the sweet spot.  For gaming, at least.

*raises hand* still at 6GB here! Though if you define a modern rig as bought/built within the last two years then I don't qualify, but it still plays everything I've wanted to play at full graphic settings.

Assuming that the amount of extra memory needed wasn't excessive, I would prefer that it uses more RAM to provide a smoother usage.

*raises hand* still at 6GB here! Though if you define a modern rig as bought/built within the last two years then I don't qualify, but it still plays everything I've wanted to play at full graphic settings.

Assuming that the amount of extra memory needed wasn't excessive, I would prefer that it uses more RAM to provide a smoother usage.

6GB, eh?  I'm just going by the industry with my facts and figures, but 6GB is pushing it for modern AAA titles like Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, Battlefield 1, etc.  I don't doubt you can play the games, but I'm guessing a couple extra Gigs will reduce stuttering, hitching, etc. -- just general smoothness and responsiveness.  But, you would know before me, I'm running 16GB.  I guess it just depends on what you play.  Old 32-bit games can only address 4GB at most, so those games should be smooth.  But break out a 64-bit'er... there could be performance issues.  What games do you play?  What's some of the specs on your rig?