• Dark Brotherhood Chronicles
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

I tell everyone who uses my mods to use BOSS and not LOOT. I use LOOT for Skyrim and it seems to be working fine, but it's still BOSS for Oblivion.

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Malonn

Malonn

Cave Bear

• 69 posts

Yes Ma'am.  I used LOOT for Skyrim the last time I played, and LOOT was much younger then.  I'm wondering if it's matured in it's decision making.  I've read that LO's are near-perfect for Skyrim with LOOT.  I think it was written with Skyrim in mind.

My Mods (Oblivion Only):

There are others, but most will be taken down soon.

Vorians

Vorians

Fluffy Hypercubical Monitor Lizard

• Better Cities
    • Valenwood Islands
    • Black Marsh
  • 1,762 posts

LOOT is completely unreliable in my experience. Add a new mod in or take a mod out of a load order, and it moves the other mods to completely different locations compared to how it had placed them before the addition/removal. LOOT needs a proper masterlist to keep it accurate, leaving just the unknowns for LOOT to try to guess on.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
My opinion is that LOOT's use of integers for the priority system as opposed to using a system of relative dependencies is, unfortunately, not a good way to do it. It requires one to keep track of which integers are in use for a variety of situations which can get difficult for some situations. In Oblivion's case, the lack of LOOT maintainers means that the master list was never really tweaked much after the original conversion leading to load order suffering as a result. If Oblivion had people to tweak the priority values, LOOT would work fine for it more than likely.

When LOOT was written, we were focusing on Skyrim, yes, as it needed the most automation. However, that is not why the problem now exists. Unfortunately, we couldn't get enough test cases for Oblivion to tweak things in the initial phase so Wrinkly had to come up with a solution after the fact, hence the priority system.

I'll get back to work on BOSS soon, don't worry, I'm just taking a bit of a break to finish up some configuring and projects around my home. :)

Vorians

Vorians

Fluffy Hypercubical Monitor Lizard

• Better Cities
    • Valenwood Islands
    • Black Marsh
  • 1,762 posts

Never used it with Oblivion as it wasn't necessary due to BOSS. I only used LOOT with Skyrim since it was (probably) better than nothing.

Malonn

Malonn

Cave Bear

• 69 posts

My opinion is that LOOT's use of integers for the priority system as opposed to using a system of relative dependencies is, unfortunately, not a good way to do it. It requires one to keep track of which integers are in use for a variety of situations which can get difficult for some situations. In Oblivion's case, the lack of LOOT maintainers means that the master list was never really tweaked much after the original conversion leading to load order suffering as a result. If Oblivion had people to tweak the priority values, LOOT would work fine for it more than likely.

When LOOT was written, we were focusing on Skyrim, yes, as it needed the most automation. However, that is not why the problem now exists. Unfortunately, we couldn't get enough test cases for Oblivion to tweak things in the initial phase so Wrinkly had to come up with a solution after the fact, hence the priority system.

I'll get back to work on BOSS soon, don't worry, I'm just taking a bit of a break to finish up some configuring and projects around my home. :)

Interesting.  So if some young, enterprising lad wanted to, he could go to work on the masterlist for LOOT and maybe shape it up for Oblivion?

My Mods (Oblivion Only):

RavenMind

RavenMind

Krill

• 12 posts

I'll get back to work on BOSS soon..

*happy dance*

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts

Interesting.  So if some young, enterprising lad wanted to, he could go to work on the masterlist for LOOT and maybe shape it up for Oblivion?

Yep :)

Malonn

Malonn

Cave Bear

• 69 posts

But, at roughly 20,000 mods in the Masterlist one would need some free time.  Or a loong time to get it done.  Or a team.

My Mods (Oblivion Only):

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Unofficial Morrowind Patch
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

Why couldn't you take the existing masterlist and port it over?

Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

VM, could you help this person?

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
That generally means the file has been corrupted, they'll need to delete it so it can be regenerated by the tool they use to install their mods.

Why couldn't you take the existing masterlist and port it over?

It could be but there's not many people interested in doing it. I can't as I am not familiar with mods all that much (or games, I just like figuring out how they work), I'm just a programmer. :shrug:

Edited by Visceral Moonlight, 13 August 2017 - 07:44 PM.

RavenMind

RavenMind

Krill

• 12 posts

Hi VM. I was under the impression that mhahn123 was the last maintainer of BOSS (unless you are he)? I'm happy to help out in any way I can, with what little skills I have. If you have something you'd like me to help out with, just let me know! Also, I was curious if clicking on the link to report information about an unrecognized plugin in BOSS is still useful. I've been downloading, cleaning, & testing a lot of OB mods lately, and have filled out a bunch of these reports. I'm not pushing to get anything updated within any sort of time-frame, as I know a project like this is quite an undertaking, but rather if there's any point in submitting them?

Thanks!!

RavenMind

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,925 posts

mhahn is someone else and as far as I know, he's still maintaining the masterlist.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,339 posts
Yep, the report link is still useful. I fixed that functionality last year so it now works without manual intervention. :)

Like Andalay said, mhahn handles the master list while I handle the code. I don't have much testing that needs to be done just yet but would you be interested in helping out with the code or UI? I'm just one person and I've got a lot going on right now so my progress has been a bit slower than I would like.

Edited by Visceral Moonlight, 15 August 2017 - 11:41 AM.

RavenMind

RavenMind

Krill

• 12 posts

Sure! I'm by no means a programmer, but I'll help out wherever I can. I'll PM you my e-mail so you can send me whatever you'd like.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users