• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Linode Critical Maintenance   01/10/2018

Phase 1 is complete. There will be a second round once Linode gets a patch. I have updated the forum thread -  please see my post here.
AndalayBay

Trump - Seriously?

48 minutes ago, AndalayBay said:

Canada’s polar bears are starving to death. It’s heart breaking. They need the ice to hunt and there isn’t any. I was watching something the other day and the narrator said that global warming isn’t on its way - it’s here already.

It's some consolation, I suppose, that some of their genes will survive the worst - Love in the time of climate change . Hell of a way to learn some new things about mammalian evolution, though. And soon enough looks like the 'grolars' ('pizzlies'?, get out of here...) won't have it too easy either...

EDIT: I'm pretty amazed that this got past the Trump regime's science censors, I'd say get your copy now (Guardian link is to the site front page, but it's easy to find):

American leaders should read their official climate science report

OK, here's the actual report download page

Edited by tegeusCromis

Don't forget the whales! A lot of their food lives in cold waters so they'll also have issues. RIP sperm whale. :(

Edit:

A lot of the scientists started archiving the climate reports en masse a while back in case they were lost. I'll see if I can pull up the link. The more people that back it up, the better!

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Personally, I have never been convinced that man is the cause of global warming, but now I really don’t care. Whatever the cause, it’s happening and I don’t want to witness the extinction of all these threatened species. If polar bears and grizzlies can mate and create a new hybrid, that’s something I guess and it’s good to see them adapt. There’s a photographer that was featured on the news who was taking pictures of the bears that are starving to death. One was so skinny and weak, she couldn’t even stand. He couldn’t help her, so he just took her picture and made sure all the pictures get published.

Unfortunately, the damage is so extensive already that there's not much we can do to turn back the clock. If we had known more about it a hundred and fifty years ago, we could've done more but now the damage has been done. I'm not saying we were the cause of it but we have contributed and if we knew about it sooner, we could have reduced our contribution while we still could.

We're still relying on combustion and the population is reaching critical mass, which is not a good combination. We are also building horizontally instead of vertically, which decreases the forests and damages the soil and ecology. Why they don't build up instead of out, I don't understand, but it would be better if we did.

In some areas, like Florida, you can’t. From what I understand, you guys don’t have enough solid ground to support tall structures. You need really deep basements for towers.

The thing is, the argument over whether Global Warming is happening or not is actually a pointless distraction. Whether you believe we're causing the increase in temperature shouldn't really matter, because we know we've caused massive ecological damage over the past few thousand years and as our population increases the damage naturally gets worse.

Case in point: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/30/we-have-been-poisoning-ourselves-has-ice-analysis-revealed-the-truth-about-lead

There is no "natural background level" of Lead in the atmosphere. Ergo, there's probably no safe level.

Then you have all the plastic in the sea, the chemicals we pour down our drains, like the ones we use to whiten white linens...

Bottom line - it's not about Global Warming - it's about measurable ecological damage and we need to stop. Stop damaging the planet, and stop over-populating it if we want anything worthwhile left in a few hundred years.

That's if the next great Plague doesn't solve the problem for us.

5 hours ago, Sigurd Stormhand said:

Case in point: https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/may/30/we-have-been-poisoning-ourselves-has-ice-analysis-revealed-the-truth-about-lead

There is no "natural background level" of Lead in the atmosphere. Ergo, there's probably no safe level.

Thanks for that, I read the environment section regularly and that one got past me. Fascinating study. But there is one big caveat that occurred to me from the start and indeed turns up right at the end of the piece:

Humans and ecosystems had to adapt to higher natural concentrations of lead then, which were only exceeded again in the 20th century with the use of leaded petrol,” [Wolff] said. “What really matters is whether the lead is available in a chemical form where it can affect living things, and the present study doesn’t address that.”

Indeed. In fact, lead is one of the areas where - with the abandonment of organically bound (tetraethyl) lead in petrol - we have something of a success story, it seems. There is a strong correlation between the steady decline in violent crime in industrialised countries and the elimination of leaded petrol.  Yes, lead poisoning could really be a cause of violent crime.

Yeah, correlation ain't causation, but the case has become stronger since that piece. It has now in fact been suggested that levels of violence in the Middle East are being exacerbated by lead pollution, since leaded petrol is still pretty standard in Saudi, Iraq and many other countries in the region. No-one is suggesting it's the root cause of the problems, obviously, but it could be a heck of a force multiplier.

As for GW, I'm sorry, but I think the other issues pale in comparison. Awful as those other issues are, I think they're like gum in the works in comparison. With GW, we've got our sticky hands on one of the actual control levers and have pushed it several notches in the wrong direction.

ON-TOPIC EDIT:

Just thought I'd share this piece: 10 of the Best Theories About Donald Trump (Warning, poorly laid out, the headings have got a bit lost).

Beng British, I'm normally reluctant to comment on US domestic policy here, though I have decided opinions, obviously. (Environment is quite another matter - that has become a foreign policy area.) But it was entertaining to count how many of those theories I've entertained, about six of them I think, at one time or another.

And a positive note for the New Year...

10 good things about a terrible year

OK, I'm off. Beer...

Edited by tegeusCromis

Posted (edited)

Trump is demanding we return to the Moon before much other space exploration but perhaps the planet as a whole should fix the problems here (heck, we could set up orbital farms, population centers, etcetera) before we start venturing outside the atmosphere again. If we don't, we'll likely repeat the same mistakes and mess up whatever space rock we decide to colonize.

Edit:

Here's the backup I was looking for: https://climatemirror.org

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

I wouldn't mind too much about returning to the Moon if it were part of a coherent plan. But it very much looks like an empty 'flags 'n' footprints' job to me. Really, I think it's just part of a screen to distract people from Trump's gutting of NASA's earth science research. But at least ESA (and increasingly India and China) might expand their climate monitoring programmes in compensation.

Yeah, that's a noble enterprise, Climate Mirror. But at least no-one (yet!) has found that US data is being actively destroyed (just suppressed) as happened in Canada under Harper:

https://thetyee.ca/News/2013/12/23/Canadian-Science-Libraries/

That was an act of bookburning, nothing less. (Though I guess awareness of it has driven the need for Climate Mirror and other such sites.)