• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Onasaki

Question..

So my question is, how exactly does it work with making characters? Can they be anything, or can they not be cannocially something important? Like say, Listener of the dark brotherhood? Guild Master of the Fighters Guild, or Arch Mage?

Is that allowed, or should I avoid it?

Also, what are the outlooks of age? Are you allowed to be a kid, if you avoid things like sex?

Edited by Onasaki

As a rule of thumb, we avoid characters like the Listener or Archmage, because it can mess with other characters storylines and such. We just pretty much don't include them, or only mention them briefly (For example, the Archmage is "on a trip" at the moment.)

Though some of us do play canon characters - i.e. Chick plays Giovanni Civello and Raminus Polus, and I play Count Hassildor. And Silencer plays a decent chunk of the characters from Malazan. :tongue: But do that sparingly, I'd say. The only reason I ended up playing such an important character as Hassildor is...er...well, it was kind of an accident. I'm not sure why.

And yes, little kids are allowed. We've got a ten year old, a twelve year old, and...I think the youngest after that is a 16 year old. And there's a couple younger who aren't really main characters.

Alright. I'll probably set Rilan to be Executioner, or something. Not too high, but high enough to garner some respect. As for kids, better watch out. The youngest is about to be 7. :gnight:

Oooooo....Wait wait wait.. CAN I RP MY LORD?! For his Will is my own! His cane is my symbol! His cheese, is my fruit! I want to be the Lord Sheogorath! It wouldn't be a actual major character, he'd be in his Gentleman with a Cane guise.

Edited by Onasaki

:laughing2dw: Ooh...good question. We do have the Doctor from Doctor Who...oh, the temptation is great.

*waves down the rest of the players* What do you guys think?

Guest theinfamouskat

Ooooh... so many possibilities... WHeRE IS MORRIGAIN?! THE TRIUMVIRATE MUST BE PRESENT!

Also, where's the Geographical position of the inn? I know it's in Cyrodiil(at least I think it is), but like where at? Also, the map link doesn't show which table is which anymore on the map.

Edited by Onasaki

The maps are no longer interactive due to a recurring bug somewhere...the Inn is presently located somewhere in the vicinity of Bravil/Leyawiin, on the opposite side of the river to Bravil. I think. At least that's where my memory puts it, but it *does* move, if ever only slightly when patrons from a certain world are already inside (which they are, at present).

Regards the characters, I'd echo Ama and say avoid major positions...Executioner is probably fine, same as Cla'nee and Aradhel (who is actually a Silencer) iirc. But you'd have to work that in with them somehow...at the least, I imagine Cla'nee would know a bit of name/reputation about someone at Executioner, and then you'd have to pick a Sanctuary, too.

Sheogorath...one thing you have to understand, is that magic and weapons in the Inn are limited. If you were to bring in a character with mind-reading powers in, that power only works if the owner of the other character accepts that such is possible - either their character could be resistant, or the Inn itself could negate the attempt, you see? Now, we're normally pretty good with non-lethal/character-altering stuff, and in some occasions have had things such as torture and severe beatings, but only with prior consent and planning. So...Sheogorath, though a Daedric Prince, would not necessarily be able to do anything to other characters - i.e. turning people into cheese and so on would need prior consent.

E.g. my uber-overpowered character (of DOOM), Anomander Rake, while carrying a soul-eating sword that is canonically one-hit, wields it with such speed and skill as to be the pre-eminent swordsman in his world, is a man who has rejected the potential of Godhood in a world which, on the scale of power, dwarfs Nirn/TES, and is the firstborn son of Mother Dark, the Elder God and Elemental Force, the archmage of his entire race of people...is essentially powerless in the Inn. Unless other characters accept what I want my character to do to them, that is.

Not trying to put you off the idea, here, I'm just pointing out certain things you need to be aware of ahead of time - it can actually be very hard to RP an established character too, though Ama does Hassildor *very* well, and chick has been pretty spot-on with the Doctor (who hasn't actually set foot in the Inn, as yet) so far, it takes quite a bit of work to pull it off.

Anyway, just my two cents, basically being: think before you leap. :smile:

(And welcome to the Inn :biggrin:)

I see. I'll avoid making Sheogorath, for now. As for Rilan, I already put his character info up. He'd be from the Cheydinhal Sanctuary, depending on if the timeline dates before or after the player has achieved Listener-hood. I'm assuming it's after, and there isn't an established Listener-character due to some of these things. Though, if I could play as the Listener, I'd figure out how to manage other people's stories without messing them up.

The Listener rarely stepped foot in any sanctuary, as canon would have it. As the new murderers, are like "OMGZ TEH LISNER IS HERE!" despite it being also canonically correct that after you become listener you're coming in and out of the Cheydinhal Sanctuary to give your `order`s to Arquen. Which leaves the murderers positions moot.

As for Sheogorath, I probably could play him well, given the chance. But I don't want to take such a role as a newbie within the Inn, until I have sufficient knowledge about how things work. So, I'll stick with Rilan as an Executioner, and play as the kidchar I have brewing in my head until I have things straight.

Having Sheogorath show up could be EPIC LULZ (also disturbing. There's a couple characters in the Inn who are...kind of dangerously close to coming unhinged. Yay.). Though it is probably a good idea to wait until you get a feel for the place.

As for Listener, yes, we're set after the whole DB questline. My Aradhel is a Silencer from Bruma, Amadaun's Cla'nee is...basically the Listener's secretery, from Skingrad, and Silencer's Victor/whatever-his-name-is seems to be an unranked DB courier. Possibly.

Guest theinfamouskat

And Arquen is still a bint. :biggrin:

Guest q21

For poor little me who's never played any games the TES setting... is Sheograth someone Sebs would feel innately compelled to skewer with Harrower?

Mmm...probably not, actually. He's not evil, he's just crazy. Actually a likable sort when he's not threatening to eat your eyes or play jump-rope with your intestines. Yeah, he's vicious and cruel, but only sometimes. That's just his demented side.

Come to think of it, Sebs probably wouldn't feel compelled to try and skewer any of the Daedric Princes, and likely wouldn't succeed if he did. They're more...forces of nature (which often run rampant over the human world) than evil gods. They're just not nice or benevolent, either.

OOC: Sebs vs Daedric Prince...well, it depends, of course, as all things do. I'd say a Prince has the magical upper hand, that's for certain, but theoretically they still have souls, and so would fall to Harrower like anyone else. Inside Cyrodiil? Or their own realm of Oblivion? Yeah, Daedric Prince wins. Elsewhere?? Up in the air, imo. Elemental Forces are...hard to kill, but not impossible, right q? :tongue:

Think anyone could help me find an actor to suit Rilan? XD I've already stated that Toby McGuire would play as the voice of Atkavir, if I had to choose a famous person. Otherwise, the guy they got to voice act him in the mod does pretty awesomely.

I also suck at looking up tropes. XD I just wanna fit in! T_T

Hmm...play him for a bit longer so we've got the hang of him. I still haven't thought up an actress for my most recent character, so...yeah. :laughing2dw:

Hmm...play him for a bit longer so we've got the hang of him. I still haven't thought up an actress for my most recent character, so...yeah. :laughing2dw:

*has no actors/resses for any of his characters*

Tho, I do have a few in mind. And Tropes are fairly easy to find, you've just got to figure out which ones apply, and that takes time. Heck, most of my characters only have Tropes because other people have listed them on Tropes, and my unique characters...well, some of them are *built* on the basis of their Tropes. The others...yeah, no Tropes there*. :sad:

*yet. :tongue:

Thanks! Hohenheim was always a favorite character of mine. I'd tell you who my favorite Humonculus is, but I'd rather not post any spoilers to Brotherhood/The Manga.

ALRIGHT! Quick question to all you Lore junkies out there, does anyone who's keeping up with my posts have any qualms against me using an irish children's song for a lullaby for Rilan's weapons? XD

Nope, go ahead! :biggrin: If you can find a youtube video of it being sung to stick at the end of the post so we can listen to it, so much the better.

Think anyone could help me find an actor to suit Rilan?

I have it! Elven, crazy, a vampire and an assassin?

Of course, he could only be played by a young Christopher Walken.

Sign in to follow this