Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Gamespot Reporting that Bethesda will Announce Skyrim Remaster at E3

Gamespot is reporting that Bethesda will announce a remaster of Skyrim for the XBox One and Playstation 4. It is said that this remaster will include mods.

Here is the Gamespot article.

I think it's important to realize that the originating source for this, some dude who calls himself Shinobi, never said WHICH title he thinks Bethesda is going to announce a remaster for. He could have been referring to the publishing side of the company which could mean anything from any one of the many studios they now own. The speculation that it will be Skyrim was entirely the invention of the gaming press who are now sourcing each other as confirmation. It's kind of funny :P

That said, I hope it's true. I'd love to see Skyrim get the 64bit/DX11 treatment this sort of thing would entail. Bonus points for throwing in some engine fixes for stuff that's annoyed the community for years.

I hope the rumour is true, because this time around I now have a much better PC to play a remastered Skyrim 64-bit with DX11 than the PC I previously had when I bought Skyrim the release day 11-11-11.

I too would very much enjoy 64 bit and DX11 improvements. Also, mod support on consoles gives me a bigger playerbase. However, I don't see much stock in these claims.

Edited by Vincent

But! My PC doesn't play XBox One and Playstation 4 games, and I bet your PCs don't either, so unless there's a PC release too (which should be a free upgrade of course) why do we even care?

But! My PC doesn't play XBox One and Playstation 4 games, and I bet your PCs don't either, so unless there's a PC release too (which should be a free upgrade of course) why do we even care?

Could you imagine the backlash if they didn't do a PC version? I wouldn't be surprised if we had to pay for it though.

I'm not sure we'll get anything at all, except perhaps the opportunity to create mods for xbox and PS.

I'm not worried about it, but if you end up being correct, they can piss off. I'm not creating mods for something I don't even get to use.

I'd rather have Oblivion Remastered.

I'm not sure we'll get anything at all, except perhaps the opportunity to create mods for xbox and PS.

It would be somewhat hard to provide that if they don't update the PC copy and the CK along with it though. :P

I'd rather they remastered Morrowind! Oblivion would be nice too.

It would be somewhat hard to provide that if they don't update the PC copy and the CK along with it though. :P

True, but they don't have to remaster it.

"Remaster" is a bit of a loose term in the industry these days. That could literally be nothing more than 64bit/DX11 and a CK to match that that uploads to Bethesda.net instead of Steam Workshop. Throw in the already existing hi-res texture pack and there you go.

"Remaster" is a bit of a loose term in the industry these days. That could literally be nothing more than 64bit/DX11 and a CK to match that that uploads to Bethesda.net instead of Steam Workshop. Throw in the already existing hi-res texture pack and there you go.

That would be kind of sad. They should at least throw in SMIM in that case, because the meshes were horribly dated even for 2011.

That makes sense and logical to me.

So it's real. It is coming to PC, for free if you already own the base game and all DLC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF2Qw9BI6Rg

Skip to about 3:06

We should be getting a Creation Kit update with the ability to upload to consoles. Hopefully there will be some other improvements as well.

Edited by Vincent

Here's hoping they'll be backporting the engine changes from Fallout 4 but I won't hold my breath.

I'm going to be calling it Skyrim: Enhanced Edition as that seems to be the usual naming convention for these things. :P

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

Skyrim Special Edition. You can see the label on the packaging for hard copies at the end of the clip.