• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
mlee3141

Scouting out this Place

Well, I'm looking for a new file host, and this place seems quite nice. Independent, and fast, with no bigger Skyrim projects to overshadow all others. I wonder, how reliable are the downloads and uploads here? Even bigger sites like Google Drive and One Drive like to corrupt downloads halfway on me. Also, how long is this site likely to be up, and what security measures are in place to counter ad-based virus attacks and redirects?

While I'm at it, how does this place make revenue, if any?

Sorry if I'm being inquisitive, but I got burned by the Nexus, Mediafire and Google Drive, so I'm a bit more wary now. Some clarification would be most appreciated!

We have a full, up-to-date IP.Board license on a Linode VPS. Linode is the fourth largest cloud provider, trailing only Rackspace, Amazon and IBM. They offer 24x7 support. Our server is backed up daily by Linode.

Corrupt uploads and downloads are usually caused by connection issues. We can't control that. All I can say is that we've only had one person with an issue when uploading a file and it seemed to be an issue with the compression software he was using. We've had some users have problems downloading a file, but if they try again, they usually succeed.

As far as how long this site is likely to be up, I'm not planning on going anywhere soon. We are hosting several modding projects that are in development, so we have committed to being available for several years to come. In terms of security, as I said, we are running a full IP.Board license. IP.Board is one of the leading forum software providers and they regularly provide updates to fix security loopholes when something is found. Since we have an active license, we also have access to their Spam Prevention Service which is a large database of known spammers, so spammers are banned as soon as they register.

This site makes no revenue currently. I treat this as a hobby and pay for everything out of my own pocket. I will put up a donation button one of these days to help cover the costs. My admin partner, Visceral Moonlight, has also pitched in to help cover costs on occasion.

and what security measures are in place to counter ad-based virus attacks and redirects?

Delving into security specifics is unwise.

You may want to start by reading the introductory thread: http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/topic/4777-welcome-to-the-assimilation-lab/

Very rarely will there be a corrupted file. More often than not, corrupted downloads are caused at the client's end with their connection.

Edit: and it seems Andalay and I posted at the same time again..... :P

Edited by Visceral Moonlight

I see. Thanks for clarifying, AndalayBay, although I am still puzzled on why security here is considered "sacred" by Visceral Moonlight. After all, these sites are as much a project of passion as the mods hosted here, so I think I'll use this site for mod hosting then.

Also, in the end, you managed to assimilate me completely! Nooooooo!

Edited by mlee3141

I see. Thanks for clarifying, AndalayBay, although I am still puzzled on why security here is considered "sacred" by Visceral Moonlight. After all, these sites are as much a project of passion as the mods hosted here, so I think I'll use this site for mod hosting then.

As Andalay said, there's a risk to going into detail on the security measures a website uses, as malicious people would then know what exploit methods are more likely to succeed. It's not about keeping it sacred, but rather being extra cautious to avoid trouble.

As Andalay said, there's a risk to going into detail on the security measures a website uses, as malicious people would then know what exploit methods are more likely to succeed. It's not about keeping it sacred, but rather being extra cautious to avoid trouble.

VM said it, not me. I was just vague in the details. ;)

VM said it, not me. I was just vague in the details. ;)

I was referring to this :D

VM was concerned about revealing the specifics of our security measures.

Haha, funny thing is, I don't get notified when I get messaged on here because gmail flags your e-mails as spam. So sorry about any late replies to PMs/ threads here. Thanks!

Attention: Although this message does everything possible to prevent itself from being detected as spam, it will nevertheless strongly object to being moved to your spam bit bucket. Please. No. Not there. Noooooooooooooooooo