• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Munch Universe

Craftybits 0.811 Bug Reports

The attached file CBOption_LapidaryEquipLarger.7z will double the size of lapidary equipment. I suggest you use a mod manager to install it. It overwrites Data/Meshes/craftybits/CBLapidaryWheelAnvil.nif. If it is too large, a mod manager will allow you to uninstall it again easily. It only takes a change of a single variable in the nif file to change the scale, so feel free to play Goldilocks and search for one which is just right. Just let me know if you feel this is better and if not, if bigger or smaller would be better.

If anyone else cares to test this, I'd love to have other opinions. I find the existing size is acceptable but then again I've been doing this a long time and might have learned tricks which are not common knowledge without realizing it.

If your efforts using it are still failing, see if you can get me a copy of your console log with Conscribe (http://www.nexusmods.com/oblivion/mods/26510/?). With that in hand, I can probably diagnose the problem in minutes. You might have a look yourself. Some is hard to understand without referencing the script it comes from, but something might give you an idea of how far the script gets before failing.

What I meant by magic wand is that a magician typically just taps something with his magic wand, no one hits the hat hard before pulling out the rabbit. 

Play testing turned up another minor bug. If you drop wood near the fire, it is added automatically to the campfire. This provides a means to add wood to the fire while it is still burning. If you drop firewood near the fire, this is exactly what you want.

The bug is that it appears the distance check is between the player and the wood, not the campfire and that staves and planks also count as wood for this purpose. Rarely, if ever, will anyone wish to intentionally add a stave or plank to the fire and if they do, it counts as a single piece of firewood, not the 4-6 pieces you could make from either. It should be easy to fix, I just thought I would let everyone know, in case someone else has seen something like this happen. The clue is hearing an unusual sound when you drop a piece of wood.

EDIT: If anyone knows of wood from any other mod which you would like to use to feed your CB campfire, please call it to my attention. There is a mechanism which recognizes anything with "wood" in the name, but now that I look at it again, that is much too broad. If you have a "wooden staff of the magus" (just made up as an example) and drop it near your burning campfire, you will have fed your precious staff to the fire as a single piece of firewood. I changed it so it now only looks for MISC items with "wood" in the name and exactly 4 characters in the name, but that would exclude anything named "firewood". If I had any specific examples from other mods, it would be easier to get the filter right.

Edited by Munch Universe
Question about firewood names

EDIT: If anyone knows of wood from any other mod which you would like to use to feed your CB campfire, please call it to my attention. There is a mechanism which recognizes anything with "wood" in the name, but now that I look at it again, that is much too broad. If you have a "wooden staff of the magus" (just made up as an example) and drop it near your burning campfire, you will have fed your precious staff to the fire as a single piece of firewood. I changed it so it now only looks for MISC items with "wood" in the name and exactly 4 characters in the name, but that would exclude anything named "firewood". If I had any specific examples from other mods, it would be easier to get the filter right.

Millstone Farm has "Bundles of Firewood". Also there is a series of player homes with integrated crafting features and some of them have wood which can be purchased, gathered from a firewood pile or chopped/sawn, and then carved into statues. They also, interestingly, have clothing crafting that goes from sheep to finished outfits and includes a loom and a spinning wheel. Also some basic smithing and armor/weapon repair. It's all a lot of clicking though, not like Craftybits, so it can get a bit monotonous. They're nice player homes though and have pretty settings too, with swans and dandelions and shit. The wood will like have an identifying word for which home it belongs to and then "wood," so like for "Fisherman's Cottage" it's "Fisherman Wood".

• Like 1

Thanks fulgate. That helps a lot, though unfortunately it doesn't make the task easy. "Fisherman Wood" will be missed by "wood" and exactly 4 characters. But that gives me an idea of what should work. I can clip the name to look at just the last 4 letters and see if they are "wood". That way any "wooden" thing or "wood staff of amazement" will be disregarded, but "Fisherman Wood", "Bundles of Firewood" and the like will be recognized. There might still be a thing or two that slips through the filter by accident, but that should get the job done 95% of the time.

I detected another minor bug by accident. I had my fire burn out for lack of fuel while two things were still cooking on plates. Instead of beginning to get cold, as they should have, they completed cooking normally. The food just didn't care that the fire was out of fuel. That will be a little trickier to fix, but not terribly difficult.

EDIT: Wood dropping problem fixed, with the limitations mentioned above. I detected a serious problem in the pot when a two component recipe is in the pot. It would start but you would get nothing as a product. That has been fixed. 

Current efforts are focused on passing along the message that the fire went out. The cooking scripts are almost as complicated as smithing so it is harder than it appears. The campfire is the one that generates the signal which is passed over a quest to the plate, pot or vat. I figured out how to turn off cooking but not how to turn off the shaders at the right time yet.

EDIT2: I got everything fixed. There are quite a number of changes and a fix to an old bug fulgate reported. If you add certain things to your pot, rather than adding a stack of them at a time, the game system adds them one at a time. Specifically I found that clean water is added one at a time if you have two in the player inventory and left click the water to add it to the pot. This precipitated a reaction from some flawed logic in the script which caused the pot to report that it contained more than three types of item, even when it only contained 2. 

At the moment, I'm packaging 0.811.3 for release here at TAL to ensure that at least the team is using the same version.

My day has resembled the movie "Groundhog Day". Testing is like that, you repeat the same little chunk of life over and over again, generally getting better at it. There is a wolf sneaking down a hill in my test save game. Now I not only know he is coming, I can pick him off with a pair of long range fireballs before he smells my dinner roasting near the fire. I also ran some incidental testing on the medium jaw trap and it appears to be working as designed. Those traps are actually pretty nifty. They are almost as useful as frag mines in Fallout 3, if you use one right.

Edited by Munch Universe
status update

See the download section for CB 0.811.3. It includes all the fixes to date so all other fixes are obsolete. Use the bsa from 0.811.0. If anyone is interested, I also assembled a complete version with the BSA but will only upload it if someone needs it.

CB-LapidaryEquipmentLarger is compatible and not yet built in, if you prefer your equipment larger.

Edited by Munch Universe

Yes, that would be nice. At this point my intent is really just to share the new version with the team, but making the new download available to anyone might lead to a few more volunteer testers.

Is it in TAL's interest to become more popular or does that just burn additional resources? I don't want to abuse the warm welcome you've given us, but as long as providing downloads are not going to cost anybody serious money, it would be a nice thing to have. Thanks Visceral Moonlight.

I cracked an old bug. When carving a wooden slat from a plank or piece of firewood the slat very often disappears under the ground. If that happens, you must use 'tcl' to go underground and recover it. If you don't, not only do you lose your slat, but it breaks the havok physics on any slats used within 2 cells of where the renegade slat lies underground.

Turns out the reason the slat thinks it is a submarine is because the model has a 5 unit displacement in the negative z direction. So when it is placed, part of all of it start out underground, which the physics system quickly drives completely underground. There are two possible solutions to such problems. In some cases there is no negative z displacement but the mesh needs to have its penetration depth lowered. In this case, it had already been lowered, so that wasn't the solution. Instead, giving the newly placed slat a displacement of positive 10 when placed in the gameworld leads to it gently falling a few units to land on the surface of the ground, where it no longer falls through.

The bad news is to share this update, the best way is with a full update, including the bsa. Since I'm still tweaking things, I hesitate to make everyone download such a big file. I can supply a patch once we have a public download area, though it will become obsolete with the next version.

General Tip

If you find that some item has lost its physics, the cause is always the same. If you go underground after using tcl, somewhere within 2 cells you will find at least one example of that item. If you add it to your inventory and resurface, physics will be restored, unless there is more than one and you didn't get them all. Every time I have had this problem, I have been able to solve it this way. It is not exclusive to Craftybits, it is only that CB experiences it worse due to the many small items. But vanilla weapons are also quite vulnerable to the same problem. I suspect that is at least one of the reasons that Fallout 3 and newer titles attach the weapon to a corpse so that you can recover it from inventory, as well as pick it up normally.

EDIT: In response to a question from Reaper590, I had a closer look at brewing. It works in my hands but I did find and eliminate one bug which was annoying, if not critical. When you add what you want to ferment first, then the water, the script was counting them both and comparing them to 6. Anything over 6 generated an error message "Your barrel doth overflow", though it didn't stop the script. I fixed that now. Blackberries and apples have been tested, other recipes have not yet.

Edited by Munch Universe
brewing bug fix

Please see http://www.theassimilationlab.com/forums/files/file/1291-cls-craftybits-beta/ to download the latest version of Craftybits. It includes all the fixes we've discussed, plus an important fix to cheese reduction in the cooking pot. Thanks to Reaper590, who called my attention to this problem. This version is compatible with CB-LapidaryEquipmentLarger, but does not require it. Without, the lapidary equipment is the old small size.

Of particular note are two new ini settings: QuickBrewing and ColdCrucible. When set to their 0 default value brewing takes about 24 hours game time and you cannot touch the crucible on the forge, respectively. When QuickBrewing is 1, brewing takes 10 minutes of game time, ideal for testing but not recommended for normal play (but there are no mod police, so do what you like). When ColdCrucible is set to 1, you may open the crucible while still on the forge.

Please report any bugs you may find here. Please state that you are using 0.811.4 in your first report, since otherwise I will need to ask to make sure. Other bug reports are still welcome, but please state what version you have installed.

CB-Cobl_Glue.esp needs some updates but other add-ons and glues are still compatible. If you want the latest of CB-Cobl_Glue.esp, let me know and I'll upload it.

Hi craftybits is there someone who can tell me how to grill fish on baking plate the fisg seems so big and does not fit on plate i have tried all fishes fish fillets it just tell me these ingredients dont make anything try again plz help regards Reaper590

Hi Reaper and welcome to The Assimilation Lab. Thanks for the bug report.

I had a quick look at the script and nothing is obviously wrong with it, so I'll describe how to get a roasted fish fillet and maybe you can see what is going wrong. I'll test the script in game once I'm done here to see if there might be a problem which I missed.

First you need a fish. Using vanilla, the only fish you readily have available are slaughterfish. A number of mods add fish and I'm pretty sure skinning works on them regardless of which mod added them, since the recognition is name-based (English only, other language versions may fail). Place the dead fish somewhere where you can hit it without swimming (best out of the water entirely) and swing a short blade at it. If successful, you get a fillet of the appropriate type, such as a mullet fillet.

If you take the mullet fillet, you should be able to just drop it onto a plate near a fire and roast it like anything else. Beware that Cobl( and/or OOO) has added lots of fillets which are not native to CB and thus cannot be cooked. The only ones you can be sure of cooking are those you got from a fish you skinned yourself. Older versions of both lacked these fillets but recently I find that the new versions have lots of junk that really needs to be incorporated into CB cooking. If a few people are interested, I might update the scripts or build a glue so that Cobl and CB work better together.

The fillets you get from CB are pretty small, about the size of a rat meat but flatter. If you have a fat fillet which doesn't fit on the plate, it is probably from another mod and thus can't be cooked. Cooking could use a name-based system to recognize items from other mods better, but then loses any chance of working right with a different language version of Oblivion. One of my long term objectives was to translate CB into other languages, so I prefer the system that does not rely on screen names matching perfectly.

Does this help? Any idea what your problem is now?

EDIT: If you somehow have an item in your MISC inventory (at the bottom of the list) which is a fish, you cannot skin it directly. Those are meant to allow transport of fish. To convert it into a dead fish which you can skin, press the CB key while looking at the fish. I tried this and while it worked once, the script is throwing errors, so there is a bug there I need to fix.

EDIT2: In a test I found that the plate, left out from a previous cooking job, was not reacting when something was dropped on it. First I tried a mullet fillet and thought I saw what you did, but then I tried a potato and had the same problem. The fix is easy. Pick up your plate(s) and drop them again, converting them into a cooking plate. That will completely reset the plate and allow cooking to function. I think it fails as a side effect of reacting properly to the fire going out. Unfortunately now it doesn't react properly when the fire goes back on, but that is probably so rare, and so easily fixed, that it isn't worth the effort to fix.

Once the cooking plate was working again, a mullet fillet started to roasted normally but just then my computer hung. I had to sign off to get back out of Oblivion, even the Task Manager wouldn't interrupt it. I'll try to diagnose the problem now, but it suggests that there is a real problem there.

EDIT3: I repeated the test and this time the mullet fillet roasted to completion. This time I loaded a different save to test, one where the fire had not gone out on its own. Could be that the fix backfired, since maybe the reset isn't good enough. I also discovered that I had to attempt to skin about 13 mullets before I succeeded. Might have just been bad luck, but it appears I set the difficulty on skinning fish too high. Fish are too seldom in most people's games that you can afford to lose 12 before succeeding. I only had that many because I was adding them to the player inventory.

Edited by Munch Universe
fish MISC items

I'm going to be away for the next few days. If any questions come up, I'll get to them on Monday.

I fixed the bug in fish conversion and probably found what was breaking the plate, but since neither are game breakers, I won't release a patch just yet. The fixes will be in the next release.

The fishes that can be caugth in CB like Amur catfish,bluegill,,carp and so on can they be skinned and used on the plate and how

When i take the fish and put it down on the ground i press the cb key to convert it it works fine but then i try to skin it nothing does not work but with previous fish i converted it then i pressed the cb key it added a fish fillet to my inventory but still the plate did not cook it

Hi Munch the fix works fine with winemaking with apples and blackberries and the cheesemaking works fine as well but going outside i take a shovel or hoe to start digging to make a garden is a problem as soon as i dig everything goes yellow its like there is a mesh or something missing but there,s a yellow block where i digged thanks Reaper590

Hi munch making a fishing spear works fine. I can fish with the spear and how it shows me while in my inventory Charge 0/0 Uses : 0

Edited by Munch Universe
consolidated two messages into one

Hi munch there are problems with the CB key cannot convert any bowl or covert pot to cooking pot or anything i have reset the cb key and tried everything else but nothing works i will try to go back to a previous saved game Reaper590

Munch will be back sometime today I believe, I am sure he will get back to you soon :)
Sorry I can't be of help.

Sorry for the complaining but everything is going wrong the cooking plate is not working the campfire don,t work the cooking of the meat don,t work and a few other recipes a lot of things has stopped working all together in craftybits

I am curious...you are playing with the OBSE version on Nexus right? Not the old one? Or are you testing one of Munch's new set ups?
And no worries about complaints, Munch put this here so he could have feedback, fix, improve etc :)