CB 0.811 Bug Patch

• Please log in to reply
149 replies to this topic

Munch Universe

Munch Universe

Calamari

• FOMO - Craftybits
  • 237 posts

When Skyrim came out there were a number of people involved and someone else, Setsuna515, was heading the team. But about then she lost interest in Oblivion, so I took over the Oblivion part and she planned to mod Skyrim, but it never really happened.

Over the years, I've given some thought to switching, but the situation in Skyrim is different. Skyrim has its own crafting scheme, one which is incompatible with the hands-on philosophy of CB, since you use stationary equipment to do things. Also the development path of Skyrim made it harder, with frequent updates at first and Hearthfire only towards the end of the development path. Hearthfire seems like Bethesda's shot at CB, offering the sort of things player's have expressed interest in, but with serious limitations. The building scheme is pretty neat, in one sense, allowing you to build your own home. But there are only a limited number of sites and the building itself takes no time, no labor, it is just magic. It was a deliberate choice never to introduce any structure into CB which is more permanent than a yurt because of what it does to pathing, with the exception of the CB guild hall.

In a nutshell, the question is, what would CB be in the context of Skyrim? I never saw a compelling answer to that question, nor could I think of one myself, so I stuck with CB. 

For CB, the problem has always been that it is more fun to make something new than to perfect something which already exists. But if you don't perfect something, it ends up buggy. Due to the interdependence of many CB products, if one is buggy, it blocks your path to the others. CB0.7 was really cool, but you could only really do something with it for a couple of days of game time at the most before the bugs started to add up and something would crash or otherwise cease working. My approach has been to address the flaws and not worry about adding new things much. So CB0.8 is vastly more reliable than CB0.7, but only slightly more capable. Almost everything was reprogrammed at some point but its outward appearance and game handling has remained largely unchanged. Some of my more important innovations are making success of many tasks a question of probability and the bee economy of the beehives.

Playtesting is not as trivial as it might sound. It takes a willingness to repeat things which don't get you any further in the game and an eye for detail. The lack of testing tools make it necessary to test almost everything in-game to make sure it works. Given the vast scope of CB, it is an almost impossible task for one person. Even if I was willing to spend the time on it, since I programmed it, I'm a miserable tester. I know what should work and what shouldn't, so I verify that if you do everything exactly as expected you'll get the expected result. If that fails, it is news and needs to be fixed, but that is seldom the problem. Usually what happens is someone tries something different than exactly what was anticipated. Sometimes the something different is logical and really should work, but doesn't because I didn't think of it. So it is really critical to get people involved who do not come to the table with too much knowledge about how CB is supposed to work. Hopefully that will encourage you to keep sharing your experiences, since they help you and all the other users out there. We have 184 downloads of CB here at TAL, so the number of users is small in Skyrim terms, but interest hasn't dried up yet.

• Sifonseal and darklord36 like this

Munch Universe

Munch Universe

Calamari

• FOMO - Craftybits
  • 237 posts

The recent bug reports inspired an idea. I would like feedback on this from anyone who chooses to test it.

Instead of the fix from yesterday, use this one instead. There are two significant changes.

• If you try to make something which only requires one ingredient, like bread crumbs from a loaf of bread, but the board has two or three ingredients registered, the script will now warn you that no valid recipe was found and will make nothing. You will probably have to remove everything from the board and start again, but it ensures you don't waste ingredients making something you don't want because the script failed to find the ham you put on the board.
  • When you get a recipe right, you'll see a confirmation pop-up. It will tell you what you will make using the components on the board which the script recognized. If, for example, you are trying to make a sandwich but the script only recognized the loaf of bread, instead of seeing a confirmation for the sandwich you are hoping to make you will see one saying you will "Make bread crumbs using/ bread loaf", which gives you a chance to cancel.

​What I am thinking of doing is adding a confirmation across all the scripts, or at least those most likely to be tricky. We deliberately tried to minimize the pop-ups in CB to increase the immersion. At this point, I'm thinking the best approach might be to include the confirmation step, but rig it up to a switch in the CB options that allows you to switch them off any time you want. So new users would have the benefit of the extra protection of the pop-ups but once they felt secure using the system, they can switch them off.

How do you feel about immersion vs. protection against wasting resources when the script isn't working as you want it to? Give the attached version a try and let me know what you think. A demonstration and trial is worth a long discussion any day of the week.  :)

The new esp: Packed in a 7zip as usual. Unpack and add to your load order instead of the fix from yesterday, not in addition to it.

EDIT: I gave the mixing bowl the same treatment and did some debugging. It is still a trifle rough around the edges, but I'd like some feedback to see if others see the same things as minor problems.

Attached Files

Edited by Munch Universe, 02 April 2017 - 02:23 PM.
Updated esp

Sifonseal

Sifonseal

Octopus Commander

• FOMO-High Rock
    • FOMO
    • FOMO - Craftybits
    • Black Marsh
  • 174 posts

I certainly like the idea, while personally I would most definitely prefer to play with the setting off, it would be of great help to many without a doubt. 

Sadly I don't think I will have the time to give it a play test immediately (given how my game set up is currently), hopefully someone else will jump on the chance to check it out.

darklord36

darklord36

Amoeba

• 9 posts

Neat idea, I'll give it a try later.  :D

• Sifonseal and Munch Universe like this

reaper590

reaper590

Cave Bear

• FOMO - Craftybits
  • 55 posts
confirmation across all the scripts sounds like a good idea sorry for replying about the clothing and furniture got hold of the wrong end of a stick but will glad test
Reaper590

Edited by reaper590, 02 April 2017 - 05:20 PM.

darklord36

darklord36

Amoeba

• 9 posts

I just finished testing and so far everything works great, the pop-ups appear correctly and all the recipes seem to be working fine. As usual, great job.  ;)

Munch Universe

Munch Universe

Calamari

• FOMO - Craftybits
  • 237 posts

Thanks darklord36. Do you have any suggestions for tasks that would also profit from a confirmation? 

Now that you get the confirmations, do you find them helpful or would you like to turn them off already? I could either rig up a separate switch for them, or link them to debug mode. The default setting is debug mode, by the way, so if performance is an issue at all, it can be improved by switching off debug mode. You can either do so in the options menu, or edit your craftybits.ini.

darklord36

darklord36

Amoeba

• 9 posts

I would say tailoring could use the same kind of confirmation system, cooking and tailoring were the two tasks I felt unsafe to do.

I personally find them really helpful and I would keep them on all the time. Making a seperate switch for it would it make alot more 

user friendly, so that the player immediately knows what to do in order to switch them off, that's my opinion.

• Munch Universe likes this

Munch Universe

Munch Universe

Calamari

• FOMO - Craftybits
  • 237 posts

New version uploaded CB 0.812.0. I would appreciate it if someone could download the complete version and test it a little. The BSA may or may not be complete. It may require the loose files TES4Files gathered as well, but they take as much space as the bsa, so I'm hoping they may not be necessary.

reaper590

reaper590

Cave Bear

• FOMO - Craftybits
  • 55 posts
Hi munch will be testing it for you and will leave a reply soon thank u
Suzi

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: CB, 0.811, Bug, Patch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users