• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Leonardo

Download Area Questions

I'll soon convert the Skyrim Map Markers mod to SSE and I wonder if mods for SSE could have a separate download area similar to what Nexus now have.

Earlier today when I browse around a bit in the mods section on Bethesda.net, via the in-game Bethesda.net Launcher in SSE, I notice that Vincent already had a mod hosted there, so that's why I request a separate download area on TAL.

I don't see the need. One can just mark the title of the files in the entry. Multiple entries could lead to confusion with regards to search engines and we're not likely to have many downloads just for it, most will be released for both.

I don't see the need for duplicate categories or entries.

@GMS: Interesting, given that approach perhaps Skyrim mods could be bundled with a Fomod or Bain script which detect the Skyrim version. Wishful thinking, but like the idea. :P

Might be an issue with the Unofficial Patch team as it's looking like they want to keep all their stuff separate.

Yes, for now we'd like to ask mod authors to indicate whether their mods are for SSE or just Skyrim. I wonder how many people will do mods for Skyrim now that the SSE is out, so I don't think we'll need separate categories.

It might be a problem for people downloading mods for classic Skyrim and trying to use them on SSE, not knowing that they aren't for SSE because there is no indication. That will just crash the game.

Edited by Vincent

Nothing can make people read. :P

If they're not going to read the part about which release it's for, there's a good chance that they won't see that the category is different. This is like saying we need a new section for every DLC combination because the game will crash otherwise if the mods are used without the right DLC. :)

Edited by The Great Smexy Pumpkin

It would be nice if we could add a mandatory field to indicate which game it's for. Whether people read the information we provide is immaterial - we need to be clear about which game the mod is for. I'll take a look at the database and see if there is a field we can use. There are some unused fields from previous versions.

The CK won't be available for us normal people until next week, so we have a bit of time. I'm still really busy with other stuff, so I'll get to this as soon as I can.

I can do that from the ACP, it's pretty easy actually.

The only issue I see is that this will lead to multiple entries for the same mod, creating confusion about what file is what and causing SEO issues. To me, it'd make the most sense to have a single entry and then label the files themselves saying which release they're for instead of the entry to reduce these issues.

It would be nice if we could add a mandatory field to indicate which game it's for. Whether people read the information we provide is immaterial - we need to be clear about which game the mod is for. I'll take a look at the database and see if there is a field we can use. There are some unused fields from previous versions.

The CK won't be available for us normal people until next week, so we have a bit of time. I'm still really busy with other stuff, so I'll get to this as soon as I can.

I guess you don't like what I am going to suggest.

Why not turn off the automatic generated thread feature in ACP and doing that could allow members to use the correct game acronym for both Skyrim (original) and Skyrim SE (Special Edition) in a RELz thread.

Otherwise the length for a proper *long* topic title will be shorter, if members need to use a game acronym for Skyrim (SLE or SSE) along with the automatic generated RELz in every thread for every hosted mods.  Just an observation.

A new field wouldn't require anything in the title, Leo. As VM said, we're not turning off automatic thread generation. For my part, I'm only going to support SSE, so I won't need to worry about separate mod entries. I think we'll have to wait and see what other modders are going to do. In the long run, I don't think people will support the old Skyrim once all the key mods have been ported over, like the texture and UI overhauls.

Want me to play with the fields when I get back to a computer?

You'll need to convert my work for our project when I'm able to start working on it: I wasn't able to get on Steam in time to nab the DLC for the free upgrade. :P

Planning to buy it again when it comes on sale, though. :)

Apparently it's just been released in the last couple of hours.

Apparently it's just been released in the last couple of hours.

Just installed the CK 64-bit for SSE.

Please try to keep this discussion about the download area. Thanks.

Having a dedicated thread about various bugs wouldn't be a bad idea. ;)

Perhaps move these posts to a dedicated thread about this?

I don't see the need. One can just mark the title of the files in the entry. Multiple entries could lead to confusion with regards to search engines and we're not likely to have many downloads just for it, most will be released for both.

I don't see the need for duplicate categories or entries.

I think what Arthmoor said here is a valid point to create a separate SSE download area, because USSEP will not be uploaded here as long there isn't a separate download area for SSE.

I still think that it could lead to confusion having a separate category. Not everyone will know that the two categories are for different builds of the game and may have trouble finding the right download entry for the right build. In my opinion, it'd be better for them to read the entry in the main game category than trying to find the right game category. :shrug: