• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
fulgate

Question for Sysadmin - SSL?

When I have the time and money to do it. :P We're getting major house renovations done right now, so I can only check in and make sure the site isn't having any issues.

Thanks, I'll check it out. The last time I looked at this you needed to go for a paid service to have it recognized and trusted. I guess things have changed with Google's tactics.

Are there any downsides, like poor recognition or advertising?

I haven't noticed any sort of problems, other than the short interval between certificate renewals. They have a cron job you can set up to monitor that though.

Oh, it's sponsored by the EFF? That changes things. They usually have a good handle on things.

Though, the short certificate lifetime still makes me a bit uneasy. Most are usually good for six months at the minimum.

My concern is that the short lifetime will allow for a greater probability of key collisions.

I apologize if that doesn't make much sense, I'm terrible at translating what's in my head out into the real world. :P

I do best with analogies!

Edited by Visceral Moonlight