• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Orphan Attachments   07/31/2018

I have been doing some housekeeping lately and I've noticed that I had a lot of orphaned attachments. Attachments get orphaned when the PM or post is deleted without removing the attachment first. Deleting a PM or post does not delete the attachment and the file or image remain on the server. I'd like to ask all members to go through their attachments and delete any attachments you don't need anymore or those that have been orphaned. Where can I get a list of my attachments? Click on your display name in the upper right corner of the forums and pick "My Attachments" from the drop-down list. How can I tell an attachment is orphaned? If the PM has been deleted, you'll see a message like this in your attachment list: Unfortunately there is no message if the post has been deleted, so please check your old posts. We do purge old birthday threads every once in a while. Also some hosted projects have been shut down, so you may have orphaned attachments on one of those locations. Thanks!
Sign in to follow this  
Schtearn

File of Mystery

Noticed this file sitting in the Data directory: s3tc.exe- scans clean at VirusTotal.

It looks like some kind of compression utility from S3 graphics (once had an S3 card on the 2k machine -even earlier?- it came with some cool utilities)

The only thing of interest that comes up in Google that it forms part of this mod which produces a "not approved" message when attempting to download. The mod is a bump of ye olden Bluehair's utility, but the file here is much older- possibly to the mid 90s.

The date of the file is when it was acquired:- 30/12/2012- but have no idea where it came from.

Has anyone used it at all?

Years ago when the old elderscrolls.com site was around I downoaded a lot of files and a few of those files was the DDS Converter.exe file.

Later, a couple of years later, I checked my system in the AV I used back then and these DDS Converters files was detected as infected, so I suggest that you get rid of them unless you actually want to use them.

Yes. Some of these old files should be given a decent burial- not just the recycle bin. What if this is the last known copy of the file in existence?

Man, that certainly brings back memory from the golden age of internet.  I still remember how many people were using Netscape to surf on the internet back in the mid 90's.

That leads on to something more like a museum for old files and programs. This is close :P , but there are a heck of a more lot files out there than what's there.

I might grab the old version of Skype if I keep using it.

Man, that certainly brings back memory from the golden age of internet.  I still remember how many people were using Netscape to surf on the internet back in the mid 90's.

In 1995, almost everyone (those who weren't still using NCSA Mosaic, that is). Then MS launched and bundled the truly horrid IE1 then 2, which still took a couple of years to get dominant market share in spite of the bundling, because of their sheer horridness. But thankfully Netscape begat Firefox, and... (Anyway, I'm trying to remember life without tabbed browsing, how did that work..?)

On topic, a recent obsolete file thing I've picked up on on the Beth forums is all those landscape LOD files that many older mods still include in their installers - obsolete mostly because of TES4ll. Vorians has just cleared the last few out of the UL installers, I believe. Meaning to go though my installers in an idle moment and clean them out - maybe there should be a Wrye Bash function to do it. (They don't do any harm, but the conflcit notifications are a bit distracting.)

Edited by tegeusCromis

I cleared most of them out, but there were a few ULs I either missed, or didn't touch in the recent updates as I had nothing else to change in them.

You know you've been away from modding for a while when you have no idea what you guys are talking about. Looks like something else I'll have to track down when I get back to working on stuff. :P

Well, in reference to me and landscape LOD files, around 19 UL mods had a minor update recently, small fixes - some of which had their landscape LOD files deleted as I had been going to do back in 2012 but didn't for some reason. Also the UL Compilation archive is now being maintained by me instead of Kerghan, I completely changed the archive directory, rewrote the three install scripts, AND included experimental new merged ESPs for all the ULs in one ESP.

I forget, is that in a separate worldspace? If so then yes definitely. If it's in the Tamriel worldspace, then probably still yes, since it's a vast area and the original game's land LOD only covers a very small portion.

I forget, is that in a separate worldspace?

IIRC Yes it is in a separate worldspace.  Otherwise the player wouldn't have to travel to Gideon via an underground worm network.

There have been some such mods for years, I can never remember which team is following which method until a conflict is announced with a UL or BC. Like Elsweyr and Valenwood (which you know about), Hammerfell, there's Tamriel world expansions for those three. Plus of course onra's TWMP which covers the entire continent and includes a Black Marsh ESP.

I'm not aware of any new projects of this nature however.

There is this mod that expands Tamriel worldspace rather than to create a separate worldspace, but AFAIK that mod were later abandoned by the team and I can't say for sure if anyone pick it up and continue.

There is this mod that expands Tamriel worldspace rather than to create a separate worldspace, but AFAIK that mod were later abandoned by the team and I can't say for sure if anyone pick it up and continue.

Isn't that a mod that is in a separate worldspace but one that that depends on the Tamriel worldspace/heightmap, just like e.g. Chorrolworld? (And unlike, say, TWMP Skyrim, totally in Tamriel WS; and SI, which is totally not.) And incidentally, is Black Marsh a dependent worldspace? (It'd be nice because of distant terrain LODs.)

I'll have to load it up again and check, seem to remember it lost out to Morroblivion with me (which I'm guessing happened for most people who wanted to include Morrowind). Pity, there's a lot in that mod.

Edited by tegeusCromis

I thought most were in there own worldspaces. Anyway Black Marsh will have an ESP and an ESM once it's done. The ESP will have some changes to the Tamriel worldspace. The ESM will have the bulk of the content for the mod, which takes place in our own worldspaces, completely separate from Tamriel.