Sign in to follow this  
AndalayBay

Ontario Vet Abuses Animals

This is a very disturbing story that was broadcast on the local news last night.

Video and News Story

The video is very disturbing, if you can view it.

I'll try to summarize the story:

Former employees of the Skyway Animal Hospital in St. Catharines, Ontario, released a video they had compiled showing the owner and veterinarian, Dr. Mahavir Singh Rekhi, strangling dogs, hitting them on the nose with nail clippers and swinging a cat by its tail. The employees that released the video said that the doctor told them that once disciplined this way, the dogs wouldn't "do it again", whatever "it" was supposed to be. The assistants said that the animals definitely remembered the bad treatment and would urinate on the floor as soon as they were brought into the hospital.

After viewing the video, the College of Veterinarians of Ontario (CVO) suspended Rekhi's license for 10 months. They said that he had not received adequate training in the handling of animals since he came from Pakhistan and had received his license there. They have different standards of animal treatment. Furthermore, Rekhi can get his suspension reduced by 4 months if he takes a 2 day course on animal handling!!

This is outrageous. I can buy some of the treatment being from different standards. My parents used to smack dogs on their noses, for example. However that was with a finger or a newspaper, not metal nail clippers. It's clear from the video that this guy doesn't give a shit about animals. How does swinging an anesthetized cat around by its tail and hitting it on the underside of a table have anything to do with disciplining or restraining an animal? Was it starting to wake up so he needed to knock it out again? /sarcasm

Fortunately the OSPCA saw the newscast and is now investigating. If Rekhi is convicted of cruelty to animals, the maximum sentence would be 5 years in prison. Other animal rights groups and the public are demanding that the doctor's license be revoked.

The hospital is now closed. I feel sorry for the people that trusted this guy and took their pets for treatment. Interviews with clients confirm that their dogs' behaviour changed after a stay in the hospital. Hopefully they can get treatment for the trauma they suffered. I also hope justice is done and this guy gets the punishment he deserves.

I obviously have a very strong opinion on this. If you follow the Kitties thread here on the forums, you'll know I love animals and am planning on starting up a cattery (a cat breeding business). I'm already at the point where I won't let the vet take blood without being present. It's going to be very difficult for me to leave my pets in a vet's care now.

Edited by AndalayBay

My God, I'm glad I did not watch the video then since I probably would vomit.  Just reading about what he did made me sick to my stomach.  However, he's only looking at a maximum of five years?  I understand the concept of "the punishment should fit the crime," but given the trauma he's caused all those animals, that seems a bit light.  Hope that bastard loses his damn license.

I agree with NobleShadowHunter. I decided not to watch the video as I thought I'd get too upset. I don't think many vets act this way towards animals. At the one I attend all the staff plainly adore every one of their patients.

I did have a groomer mistreat a dog of mine once. It was clear from Sweep's behaviour and the look in her eyes that something had happened. I had it out with the groomer there and then. I was incredibly angry with what she'd done.

The news interviewed one the owners who recognized their pet in the video. Their Malamute was in to get his nails clipped. The vet hit the dog on the nose with the nail clippers repeatedly. Later, when the dog was on the floor, he wrenched the leash so hard he pulled the dog over on his side and dragged him across the floor on his side. Needless to say, the owners cried. It was very said.

All we can hope is this guy never works as a vet again.

Well that description has made me cry. There's no justification for the way he treated these animals. I feel for the owners and currently want to string the vet up by his balls.

There's a petition to have his license revoked here: https://www.change.org/p/college-of-veterinarians-of-ontario-permanently-revoke-dr-mahavir-singh-rekhi-s-license-to-practice

I'm going to sign it because I fear that if he doesn't have his license revoked, he'll just move somewhere else and start up a new practice.

There's a petition to have his license revoked here: https://www.change.org/p/college-of-veterinarians-of-ontario-permanently-revoke-dr-mahavir-singh-rekhi-s-license-to-practice

I'm going to sign it because I fear that if he doesn't have his license revoked, he'll just move somewhere else and start up a new practice.

We have a similar issues with stuff like that in the states where something as horrendous as this happens, but they retain their license and start somewhere new.  I understand the belief that one mistake shouldn't condemn you or affect your livelihood forever, but then there's this bullshit; this asshole knew what he was doing.  Put that fucker behind bars.

• Like 2

The petition was presented to the CVO today. 36,000 people signed it, including me. We'll see what happens.

• Like 2

Unfortunately the CVO has refused to revoke his license so far. There was a demonstration to protest their decision last weekend.

Sounds as if people need to vote with their feet and let their fingers do the talking on Facebook, Twitter and any other outlet available.

Seriously, this guy causes trauma to animals and they let him keep his license? I really hope there is enough pressure to reverse the decision.

They are saying it's a lack of training. :rolleyes: Hopefully there's enough publicity about it that he won't be able to work again anyway.

Lack of training...? Misdiagnosis can be caused by lack of training, beating an animal can't. I swear, I think this vet asshole has naked pictures of the members of CVO and blackmail is keeping them from doing anything.

They are saying it's a lack of training. :rolleyes: Hopefully there's enough publicity about it that he won't be able to work again anyway.

Translation - we are scared of being called racist.

Yep. It would be so much simpler if they just demanded that people get re-accredited when they move to Canada. It's the same with human doctors actually.

Update:

Apparently Rekhi tooks the sensitivity training courses because now his suspension is up and he can re-open the clinic if he chooses. People were protesting outside the still-closed clinic today. No one knows if he intends to re-open the clinic or not.

The OSPCA did launch an investigation but that hasn't been concluded yet. The officer in charge of the investigation said that he would have a decision soon. If the OSPCA presses charges and Rekhi is convicted, then he could be imprisoned for up to five years. I don't know if that means he would lose his license or not. One would hope so!

One of the clients of the clinic whose dog is seen in the video being hit on the nose with nail clippers has started a GoFundMe campaign to launch a civil suit if Rekhi is not convicted.

So this has not gone away and people are still fighting to have this guy banned from practicing. People don't want him to be allowed to own animals either. If he is convicted by the OSPCA, he will be banned from owning or working with animals for a period of time as determined in the sentence.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this