• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Sign in to follow this  
Schtearn

What A LogiMess!

This rig came with a Logitech gaming mouse and keyboard as part of a gaming bundle- some time ago now, but the teething problems associated with their driver have all but turned into deep sockets!

Firstly, a major inconvenience is that any native system hibernate key function is unavailable on the keyboard running only on keyboard.sys until a hibernate function macro is manually added through the Logitech driver UI interface.
Which also means you have to launch the driver manually- manually because for some daft reason it never has and never will run properly when configured to run after Userinit.

Now having the driver in the background is a risky business because it does a lot of weird and not so wonderful things- like checking your files. For example, this was logged from Process Monitor:

LCore.exe 5396 QueryNameInformationFile C:..myexefile.. BUFFER OVERFLOW

Yea, just copying any old file in explorer- so what's LCore doing with it- and why the Buffer overflow?

Also, pressing the G2 function key always produces an endless series of these characters until G2 is pressed again:

wdwwdw w   wwwwwwwwwwwddwdwf wddwwwwwwddwdd  wwddd wddwwwwwdddddwwwwwwwwdwdwwwddddddw  wddwwwwwww w wwwwddddwwww  wwww  wwdw wwwweeww  wwwwwwwwwww  wwwwwwwwwwwww      wwwwwwwwwww  zzz          wwwww  ff zz  zz wwwwwwwww   z zz  s    f  t w  zzz  www   wwwwww  w    qqqqqw  w  z    zz t w  f   ww  wwwwf wwwwww  w www   wwwwf wf f f   f wwwwwwwwwwwwwqwwwwddddwdddddwsf s    zzz    s    w  wwwww     w  wdwwdw w   wwwwwwwwwwwddwdwf wddwwwwwwddwdd  wwddd  wddwwwwwdddddwwwwwwwwdwdwwwddddddw  wwddwwwwwww w wwwwddddwwww  wwww  wwdw wwwweeww  wwwwwwwwwww  wwwwwwwwwwwww      wwwwwwwwwww  zzz          wwwww  ff zz  zz wwwwwwwww   z zz  s    f  t w  zzz  www   wwwwww  w    qqqqqw  w  z    zz t w  f   ww  wwwwf wwwwww  w www   wwwwf wf f f   f wwwwwwwwwwwwwqwwwwddddwdddddwsf s    zzz    s    w  wwwww     w 

As some of these issues were reported before the site was revamped to eharmony, one would hope the old posts are still accessible. But nothing- neither at the site- or the community, so that's efficent customer service.

And could the driver also be causing odd things like the unavailable process handle and the shell interface blown out of the water (See the second post to this)?

Edited by Schtearn

The keyboard is a G100s. The presets are for ancient games like Crysis, Commandos, Diablo II -the list goes on. :P

The way it's setup is pretty cool- working with GUIDs in an xml- e.g.

For Cassandra

00C07A09-6369-429C-9BA1-ECAC049170B7}.xml

With a vast amount of possible settings in each file. (The BBC code doesn't like the xml pasted in) 

Mouse is a G300 and it's a beauty still for sale actually.

Regardless, the only macro i care about is:

rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Hibernate

How strange. The hibernate function is a system process, are you running the helper utility as an administrator? Windows is kind of strange with its permission levels. :P

For start up, have you tried putting a shortcut in the startup directory? Does Windows still use that directory?

Edited by The Great Smexy Pumpkin

Yes, it is. From what I recall (as you know all prior correspondence with Logitech has been deleted) there is no key on the keyboard that will hibernate the computer. Period.

Also tried a myriad of ways of getting the driver to run successfully at startup. nada working, and from memory Logitech fobbed off any request on reasons as to why. Added the word successfully as I believe it makes an attempt to load on desktop load, but only produces an audible beep, and then dies with no handled error- no log, nothing in Windows event logs, no message box.

The same problem occurred when Windows 7 was installed here. I think the keyboard itself came out just before Vista, but Googling back in 2011 found no-one else with the issue, presumably because by then everyone had moved on to newer keyboards. :P

But hey, I can live with all that- it's what the driver is doing with system processes is of the concern, -especially if it starts to mess with one's own S/W.

Posted (edited)

The issue on the other machine has come to surface after this revelation wrongly attributed to Oblivion.

Posted to Logitech the gist of what's been happening: the keyboard is too old. Because the driver has not been updated for almost 15 years, it seems to be doing weird & wonderful things when its power button (top left in graphic) is activated for hibernation.

Why Logitech dropped this is annoying- I love its spacing, design, key arrangement and feel. And worse, any decent replacement keyboard of more recent vintage won't come cheaply!

s-l1600.jpg

Still selling at Ebay for US $29.99!

Edited by Schtearn

We still have a couple of the old IBM keyboards. Apparently there’s still a demand for them, so maybe I should try to sell them.

Nice keyboards! I bags to stem the tide of E-Waste and make drivers more compatible for your old companions. Even paying a small fee for someone to do it is better. It's up to the big players like Logitech to dedicate special pages to make it happen- given, of course, the interest of users is sufficient.

At this time, it's an uncomfortable suspicion that I'm the only one in the universe with a functioning Y-SE8. :P

Or use a keyboard that doesn't need drivers at all. What about just uninstalling the Logitech drivers and use regular Windows drivers with it? The fancy buttons won't work, but the keyboard should work just fine.

Worth trying to see if the "When I press the power button" is set on "Nothing" the keyboard's hibernate power button actually doesn't work like it's supposed to. And there's also the fiddly task of telling Windows not to keep automatically re-installing the old Logitech driver whenever it feels like it. :P 

Disabling automatic updates was never 100% reliable for me- especially with Windows version updates & graphic drivers- maybe they have improved it since I used it last. In this case, it's disabling AU for a specific driver- as I quite like the PnP capabilities of Windows.

In any case, there's a War On Waste over here. It's incumbent on the big players in this industry to realize the value of longevity in certain components- keyboards and mice- even some types of modems/routers. Support for legacy hardware esp. when it can be easily achieved, should be a top priority for all operating system MFGs and OEMs.

If it isn't, it certainly weighs like one. The standard keys are a bit clicky but the special keys aren't, and for these slightly tactile fingers it doesn't feel like there are any springs under the keys. Rubber domes are a possiblilty but we''ll need to take the cover off! It was a bit cheaper than the G110 on the other machine, where most of the keyboards in that series are membrane.

These days (as with the old :P ) mfg specs on the product pages can be lacking- will it change?

Edited by Schtearn