• Announcements

• AndalayBay

Leaving IP.Board   11/13/2017

See full announcement here.
    • AndalayBay

New Theme Set Up   11/14/2017

We have a new theme created by Vincent that's now available to everyone. It has been set as the default theme, so everyone should see it when you refresh the page. If you still aren't seeing it, you can select it from the Theme drop-down at the bottom of the page. It's called Assimilation. Thanks Vincent. Awesome looking theme!
Sign in to follow this  
Daggerfall Dev

3ds Max 2017 Buggy as Oblivion ;P

3ds Max 2017 <_<  was a bit of a downer for me, I don't know about anyone else? -_-

I just uninstalled 3ds Max 2015 so I can make room for 2017 "All because I saw a new fork of the .nif exporter for 2017" So after the installation which took 25min to do I updated which took another 10 and installed the .nif plugin, All seem so sweet & smooth. I imported my .nif for a reference, I scaled my squares and started to make some window models until certain parts of the Model where disappearing and reappearing in some weird positions, Those Bugs started after I finished my window model. :crash:  to make matters worse I exported it as a .nif after I applied some textures and it was missing random vertices!!! :o  So I downgraded back to 3ds max 2015 and all is well again ^_^ 

Long Story short, don't upgrade to 3ds max 2017 if your editing .nif files.  

Is that an issue with 2017 or with the nif plugin?

Are you modelling for Oblivion or for one of the Skyrims?

They've had a lot of problems with the Nif plugin for a long time now. There hasn't been a dedicated developer for the 3DS plugin for several years. Each version of Max is different, so the plugin has to be updated and it won't work with older versions of Max. We've found that the 2013 version of Max is the most reliable for Oblivion, unless you can get your hands on the 2009 version.

I believe it works fine for Skyrim, but not so well for Oblivion. The file format is quite different between the two versions. Vorians would be able to comment on this better than me.

I just sent Vorians a PM

But yeah I would imagine 2009 would be good for Oblivion Modeling, but the best I would think, would be the version that Bethesda used to Model the models, :P

I've never tried 2016 or 2017.

Before starting I have to use NIFSkope to export as an OBJ to then import into 3DS Max, things go wrong if I just try to edit a NIF directly.

After editing, I find that I have to export twice, once as a NIF and once as a 3DS file - this is because the exported NIF files lack NiMaterialProperty and NiTextureProperty entries. Then using NIFSkope I strip out of the NIF everything except the collision, and import the 3DS file because it still retains the Material and Texture entries (stripping out the imported collision object from the 3DS). After that I have to rewite all texture paths and change the various Colors, Glossiness and Alpha entries by hand because none of them are what I want and I don't know how to set them in 3DS Max.

Finally I run PyFFI on the mesh because if I don't then the game will crash when I attempt to get within 1 metre of the object.

Then after all that of course, I see something I missed and have to return to 3DS Max and start the exporting process all over again. Yay.

Here's my PM reply to Daggerfall Dev:

If you're working with statics then I'd suggest 2014, but if you're working with animation files (which I am clueless about) then I think you'd need an older version like 2012.

Fairly sure I use the 2013 nifplugin from Tesrenewal but I downloaded it a while ago so cannot be certain. The date matches my download and the forum page is in my bookmarks, so it's likely to be the right one. It hasn't been updated since November 2014 and was not capable of every feature needed for all types of modelling, but handled what I know how to do in 3DS Max. The plugin was taken over by a different programmer, now on Loverslab but this is the person who said he's only interested in Skyrim support. I believe I tried his version of the plugin with 2015 but it didn't work, presently I have no plugin installed for 2015 at all. This programmer looks to have stopped working on the plugin in December 2015.

There may be another person working on a newer version who has made further progress and also supports Oblivion, but I haven't looked into it for over a year as I rarely do modelling work.