• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Schtearn

Brand New UPS: Bang!

Caught your attention didn't it?

Replaced the old MGE 600 with a spanking new Eaton VS 1200. Works well!

Installed the Eaton Intelligent Power Protector, such as it is.

Got this little beauty at some later epoch:

The application-specific permission settings do not grant Local Activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID
{8D8F4F83-3594-4F07-8369-FC3C3CAE4919}
and APPID
{F72671A9-012C-4725-9D2F-2A4D32D65169}
to the user NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM SID (S-1-5-18) from address LocalHost (Using LRPC) running in the application container Unavailable SID (Unavailable). This security permission can be modified using the Component Services administrative tool.

Followed by a dreaded PBSOD (Pale Blue Screen of Death):

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000003b (0x00000000c0000005, 0xfffff802f169ad8f, 0xffffe10037fcf410, 0x0000000000000000). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 0a31278e-6106-4870-8e11-30cdddb72d18.

Just have a knack installing buggy SW. A knack or gift- depending on how much time one cares to allocate in posting bug reports to OEMs. B-)

Edited by Schtearn

It's what happened. Text on screen above verbatim, but the screen was this colour: (Or thereabouts). Just in case anyone else gets one. :)

Ouch that sucks! Sorry! Looking at the earlier posts, I haven't ever heard of a Pale BSOD either. Google doesn't turn up anything other than a Public BSOD subreddit for posting BSODs. Is it something specific to UPS's or just you Aussies being weird again? :P(I know, I know, pot calling kettle black..or pale blue..)

Edited by RavenMind

Oh, that's just me. Back in the day they were all a serious navy blue:

bsod.jpg

Now it's a more DodgerBlue:- or pale in comparison.

BSOD_Windows_8.png

Hasn't been sampled for 1709 yet. :P Wonder if they will introduce options for basic animations? Like a foot kicking something or a head exploding- or some graphic representation of death. (Let's not go there) :blink:

Oh, I get it now. Thanks. :) Now that you put that screen up & do recall seeing it a few times. I'm just too overly familiar with the standard navy blue one at the top.

Perhaps a Tux (Linux)  figure beating a Windows logo with a crowbar? :P

(Figured I wasn't the first to think along these lines..):

img-wallpapers-tux-vs-vista-sosoe222-338

Or better yet (NSFW spoiler):

Windows 8 bsod (Get a Linux)

Edited by RavenMind

Lol.  I wonder what VM has to say about Linux being bug free?  I've used it for the grand total of about 24 hours, but one myth I will debunk till the day I die is that things don't "just work" (...modern graphics hardware...).

As I'm sure you know, nothing is without bugs. People who want something that "just works" are probably looking for Apple products. But then you pay the price, both in monetary terms, ecosystem & restrictiveness. I'm not a Linux fanatic, and I run in Windows most of the time for sheer convenience, but I don't think I've ever come across a problem with Linux that I couldn't solve with enough knowledge/experience. Drivers.. yeah they can be problematic. That's not the fault of Linux distros or kernel though, and it's a WHOLE lot better now than it used to be. Plus lets remember that Android, Kindle, iOS, and both Mac OS & Windows (if you trace back far enough) can arguably be considered Unix ripoffs. The caveat with Linux being that Linus Torvalds had the foresight to ensure Linux stayed open to the community while Unix (then Windows, Apple, etc.) locked down "their" OS's with copyrights. Sorry, got off-topic there. I'm just very grateful for people like Linus & other FOSS devs. Without them, we'd all just be eating whatever the big corporations feed us, without any other options.

8 hours ago, RavenMind said:

As I'm sure you know, nothing is without bugs. People who want something that "just works" are probably looking for Apple products. But then you pay the price, both in monetary terms, ecosystem & restrictiveness. I'm not a Linux fanatic, and I run in Windows most of the time for sheer convenience, but I don't think I've ever come across a problem with Linux that I couldn't solve with enough knowledge/experience. Drivers.. yeah they can be problematic. That's not the fault of Linux distros or kernel though, and it's a WHOLE lot better now than it used to be. Plus lets remember that Android, Kindle, iOS, and both Mac OS & Windows (if you trace back far enough) can arguably be considered Unix ripoffs. The caveat with Linux being that Linus Torvalds had the foresight to ensure Linux stayed open to the community while Unix (then Windows, Apple, etc.) locked down "their" OS's with copyrights. Sorry, got off-topic there. I'm just very grateful for people like Linus & other FOSS devs. Without them, we'd all just be eating whatever the big corporations feed us, without any other options.

OSx is still BSD Unix under the covers. In fact many of the things that piss you off about OSx can be fixed by opening the terminal and using the command line.

13 hours ago, RavenMind said:

Good stuff, RM.  I am an Linux embryo, not even born yet.  It's just that I've read praise that if you want a pain-free life, install Linux.  I ran into problem right from the first boot with my 1080 and something--it wouldn't even fully load until I switched distros from Ubuntu to Mint.  Then all was good.  I assumed drivers, but it may not have been.  May have been a kernel problem?  Shit if I know.  I haven't given up though--my next tour of Linux will be with a virtual machine.

9 hours ago, AndalayBay said:

OSx is still BSD Unix under the covers. In fact many of the things that piss you off about OSx can be fixed by opening the terminal and using the command line.

Ah, I wasn't even sure you could open a command line. To be honest, I haven't touched a Mac in.. maybe 15-20 years. Apple bent me that out of shape, and since the "smart phone revolution", my ire has just grown. I've read that many artists, (3D & otherwise), and engineers find Macs & Apple software to be superior. Perhaps that's the case; "a tool for every job" as they say. :)

4 hours ago, Malonn said:

I switched distros from Ubuntu to Mint

That's funny, I actually don't care for Ubuntu & switched to Mint as well. *Awaits the inevitable lambasting when nay-saying Ubuntu*

I've tried more than a dozen flavors over the years, but Mint has stuck around as my distro of choice. Of course it very much depends on what you want to accomplish. RHEL, its free cousin, and Arch are often preferred for businesses & servers, (unless that's changed in the last few years). For my own home use (pretty much just playing around these days), I'm rockin' Mint with Cinnamon. :)

Any word from APC, Schtearn? Oh, probably not since it's Sunday. Oi, my days get all jumbled now that I'm a stay-at-home.

Edited by RavenMind

I use my Mac to maintain the TAL server since the terminal is so true to the command line. It’s Linux to Linux, no emulator needed. The Mac is far from perfect, but I use it for business, banking, shopping and maintaining TAL’s server. I used to use it for graphics, but I’ve switched to using my Windows machine since most of it is for TES games anyway.

I was actually able to boot and use my 2009 MacBook the other day! Vintage hardware, yeah. :D

Ah, very cool. I was going to try an OS X (Snow Leopard - I think) in a Virtual Box VM until I realized during installation that the image had to have been pirated. Decided that wasn't cool & deleted it before I got it up & running. Took a look at how much they wanted to download a legit copy & scrapped the whole idea. It's nice to hear they've got a direct command line. After having started on DOS I was pretty disappointed when MS gutted it out of Windows. Come to think of it, I think that was about the time I decided to give Linux a try.

On 12/18/2017 at 11:14 AM, RavenMind said:

Any word from APC, Schtearn? Oh, probably not since it's Sunday. Oi, my days get all jumbled now that I'm a stay-at-home.

No, but the battery is showing signs of kaput. New ones cost a fair bit- so until one arrives the unit is just a surge prot. With the larger capacities these days (700 VA is now comparatively small), expected battery lifetimes are much less. The 8+ year old battery for the MGE Ellipse Max 600 still works on the older PC!

Edited by Schtearn

Fried UPS doesn't go down well here- almost as bad as poached.

UPS Benedictine- that's how they all should be served, but for the Eating- um Eaton.

Crap S/W but nice convenient size!

Got one already. But only had it a year or so. Will let you know after the warranty expires (another year) or something breaks.

There's also this, a little more expensive and lower specs- but is it better in any other way? Hard to tell.

@Anda: What do you have powering AL?