• Announcements

• AndalayBay

SSL Installed   05/29/2018

Second IP obtained. The issues with IPv6 have also been fixed, but we can't switch to HTTPS until we switch forum software. We can't switch to HTTPS without a current license with IPS.
Schtearn

Brand New UPS: Bang!

Linode. I don’t need to worry about any of the server hardware, just the software running on it. At our own home office, we just have surge protectors and don’t bother with UPS anymore.

8 hours ago, Schtearn said:

Got one already. But only had it a year or so. Will let you know after the warranty expires (another year) or something breaks.

There's also this, a little more expensive and lower specs- but is it better in any other way? Hard to tell.

@Anda: What do you have powering AL?

That looks like a better APC from what I'm used to. I'm used to the little boxes that look like a transformer but they never last long. Thanks, I'll need to look at that unit some more. :)

It's reputed to have a bit of a hiss sound- presumably the fan- but a rundown of the other specs reveals a slightly more user-friendly interface. Sold me though- just bought one, and it'll be situated in a wall unit, away from the PC, so the noise won't be a major drama. Watch the operating temp, though, it's only good to 40°C. 

The main annoyance with all surge protection on these things is, one strike, and you're out. What about supplying them with fuses, so that on a big surge, the fuse gets hit, but the appliance is (hopefully) re-usable.

Fuses are much slower, agreed. But they are cheap & and easy to replace. If only one could replace the malfunctioning components of your expensive surge protector in a similar way. But no, we have to waste more expensive circuitry and  plastic by replacing the entire product.

Yeah, I used to be under the impression (probably from a snake oil blurb) that UPS's were better for surge protection as the surge could somehow be partially absorbed by the battery. But no, they have their own separate surge protection componentry, as seen in most surge power strips.

Problem is, most UPS's have their own surge protection, which is bad news for many lower end devices, as once the surge protection goes, the whole device must be replaced- a waste of good working UPS electronics and the possibility of wasting a good battery as well if a different battery compliant device is acquired.

A UPS/surge protector in-one is very bad commercial practice IMOP, as daisy chaining UPS's with inbuilt surge protection and surge power strips isn't generally recommended.

Generally true, but we have a whole home surge protector and even with that, they still recommend we use individual surge protectors on our equipment.

The APC one arrived and was setup nicely, no bang!

For fun, decided to submit the snail warranty form included in the package- the latest system available in the "applicable system" box was Windows Server 2003! :o

It reckons there is almost an hour of standalone battery time , but recommends only 5 mins (max) of that to preserve battery. S/W is about 5 years old, but good enough- here's the power consumption page:

Consumption.jpg.ab2c2470dfd63e48514d614010f455d1.jpg

First power outage tonight, the logging is described in the last post here. The unit is quiet, but the LED display is a little bright,- don't think there's any way to reduce the intensity.