92 replies to this topic

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• Dark Brotherhood Chronicles
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 36,772 posts

As a veteran RPer, I can give all the advice, but I want to know what you guys want to know.

Though my first tip is:  There is no wrong way to RP, unless you make a god mod character.  Because that's boring as hell and usually ends up with you sucked into the eldritch horror that is the mind of one of my characters and submitted to brainbending terror.

True story.  Ask Andalay.

• NobleShadowHunter likes this

1471_s.jpg

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

#ffc0db Wildebeest under #0000ff Flying Shoes

• Unofficial Morrowind Patch
    • Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,479 posts
Huh? I guess I purged that memory. :D
Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 36,772 posts

That was Chayka.  I wait with baited breath for you to upload her.

1471_s.jpg

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,479 posts
And once it's done, you'll have to provide links... :frightened:
Madam, you have between your legs an instrument capable of giving pleasure to thousands, and all you can do is scratch it!
-- Attributed to Thomas Beecham in reference to the performance of a female cello soloist

Sue

Sue

Roasted Red Freckled Pepper

• Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old VA
  • 1,052 posts

How do we get started Ama?  Is there an opening scenario?

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 36,772 posts

It doesn't have to have anything to do with the other characters.  Just throw them in.  Think how your character would respond to the setting.  I had one character who skipped in and talked to people while drinking cider and giggling.  I had another who wanted to stab people.  I had a third who showed up with a severed arm (not hers) and sexed everyone.

We can totally go sentence by sentence until you're comfortable.

1471_s.jpg

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,038 posts
Are there any character types that should be avoided? I feel I should ask since I have a tendency to create characters based on inanimate objects, specifically toasters.

Sue

Sue

• Wild Nuts
  • 1,052 posts

How do we create a setting?

Edited by Sue, 15 May 2017 - 11:20 AM.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,038 posts
Also, how should we go about interacting with other characters? I can tell the story of my character but I've often had issues writing up interactions with those controlled by others.

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 36,772 posts

Are there any character types that should be avoided? I feel I should ask since I have a tendency to create characters based on inanimate objects, specifically toasters.

I have LITERALLY RPed with a talking disco ball who worked as a waiter.  And a sword from Neverwinter Nights.  The only thing you should avoid is God Mode Sues.  Because they're boring and no one likes to play with them.  They made an Emmy-nominated movie about a toaster.  You can absolutely write one.  But God mode characters piss me off and I make it a personal vendetta to out-think their writers within the confines of my own characters.  (I once trapped one of them in the eldritch abomination of my character's mind!)

How do we create a setting?

In my experience, settings tend to grow up around the characters.  Come up with a basic idea and then you and everyone else fill it in.   I've only actually come up with one fully-fleshed-out setting on all my own, but sadly, it was never visited.  The other setting I created (note eldritch horrors above) was designed to be malleable, based on the player.  

So definitely make it a group effort or you'll probably find yourself becoming a GM.  That 's what happened to me with the Inn and It's very annoying.

Also, how should we go about interacting with other characters? I can tell the story of my character but I've often had issues writing up interactions with those controlled by others.

In that case, you stick to only your character.  Sentence-by-sentence RP is totally okay.  (How do you think I got over 200k posts in the Inn?)  After some time interacting, you'll get the hang of how the other characters are written, and be able to upgrade.  It's basic courtesy to PM the character's author before doing anything really plot-significant to them, but you are absolutely allowed to throw a wrench into things for the sake of DRAMA if the RP is getting boring.

The only major rules are no death, major injury, trauma, or sexy times without the other author's permission.

The best way to do this is to end your post with a question or choice for the other players to answer.  It's kind of like drawing comics.  Put something in the last panel that will make them want to turn the page.  The whole point of RP is character development.  Develop your character or give an opportunity for the other players to develop theirs.  Think of it almost as a debate, but one where you want your opponent to get better.  All the time.

tl;dr Play like you're writing a video game.

WOW, I got passionate about that.  *eyes my wine suspiciously*

1471_s.jpg

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,479 posts
I think our idea for the planet fell apart because we never had any consensus on what the different areas should look like or what purpose they would serve. I think Sue came up with the idea for a campfire where people would meet, but that never got developed.

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,038 posts
It may be worth going back to it and coming up with a structure we could use to help fill in future areas.

I think we may need a central landing pad or something if we do. That way we aren't just sort of wandering, hoping we run into someone. Nothing would stop people from landing anywhere but having the option to visit a parking lot may help alleviate some of the issues. Maybe something like Milliways? It's linked to all worlds and time periods via a sequence of vortexes and can also be at any point in time due to the vortexes.

I can also work on the planet as a whole, describing its orbit, position from the nearest star, climate, etcetera. That may help with overall development.

Edited by Visceral Moonlight, 16 May 2017 - 06:15 PM.

Sue

Sue

• Wild Nuts
  • 1,052 posts

What about an area where newcomers wait to clear an interplanetary form of customs/checkpoint before visiting the local planet or travelling on to another world?  Where stories are shared to pass the time and stuff happens between characters?  The area could have a comfy seating part with an interplanetary TV, a bar with food, sleeping areas incase of overnight stays, etc., 

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 36,772 posts

Oh God...it's an RP alien airport.  I love it.  It's right out of Diane Duane's High Wizardry.

1471_s.jpg

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,038 posts
I think I have an idea for the planetary system that may work but I want to do some more research first to make sure it's scientifically possible and then I'll start doing the calculations.

The spaceport would need to be rather large. What about setting it on an asteroid or a moon orbiting the planet which can be used as a hub to send folks either to other planets or to locations on the current planet?

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 36,772 posts

Well, if we want scientifically possible, then we we'll want a planetary body that's in a a place similar to the Kuiper Belt, so it has access to a lot of ice but also access to a lot of other elements to provide building material and fuel.  Asteroid mining for EVERYONE!

Don't forget a large hydroponics section to provide both food and oxygen.

I have five characters I want to move from the Inn and into space.  

Warning:  Two of them are horrible beings who you should not trust ever.  If anyone's in any way uncomfortable about me writing smut in the RP, especially gory or potentially non-consensual smut, please tell me and I won't do it.  I don't want to freak anyone out like some of my past RP partners freaked me out.  And then got mad at me for freaking out.

Triggers are a bitch, and I don't want anyone to be hurt like I was.  (If you don't want to say anything in this thread, just PM me.  I won't ask for details and will absolutely post warnings or not do anything.)

1471_s.jpg

Sue

Sue

• Wild Nuts
  • 1,052 posts

We need docking bays.

Re. Characters; Okay, noted and thank you.  There's no problem here with sexual content or gore.  I think you'd enjoy Frightfest Ama - which does show Sci-fi and fantasy in with the horror/thriller/chiller/slasher films.

I might just have a cat with my character (I'll start small until I have the hang of this) - or would that count as 2 characters if Miss Kitty gets up to stuff of her own accord??

Oh I am so new at this.......

Visceral Moonlight

Visceral Moonlight

Magma Golem

• Wild Nuts
  • 12,038 posts
How big do we want the space port? I'm thinking of the asteroid being stationary and not in an orbit to help with transporting characters around. Or do we just want to do the ferrying with teleportation pads?

AndalayBay

AndalayBay

• Black Marsh
    • Wild Nuts
    • The Brotherhood of Old
    • TES3Gecko
    • Better Cities
    • Collective
  • 11,479 posts
If you want to be accurate, the asteroid can't be "stationary". If you want it close enough to the planet for space vehicles or teleportation to transport people to the planet, then it needs to rotate around the planet. It would be a stable orbit, so it's not an issue for travelling to the planet, but it would rotate. In terms of having people arriving at the space port, I thought we had that be "magical" so that anybody could arrive, not just space-faring species.

Amadaun

Amadaun

Himalayan Jumping Bean

• The Brotherhood of Old
    • Black Marsh
  • 36,772 posts

We need docking bays.

Re. Characters; Okay, noted and thank you.  There's no problem here with sexual content or gore.  I think you'd enjoy Frightfest Ama - which does show Sci-fi and fantasy in with the horror/thriller/chiller/slasher films.

I might just have a cat with my character (I'll start small until I have the hang of this) - or would that count as 2 characters if Miss Kitty gets up to stuff of her own accord??

Oh I am so new at this.......

I'd say just introduce them together.  I did that with Jeni and Qew, and I also did that with two fully developed characters who were entering the Inn together.  Twice!

If you want to be accurate, the asteroid can't be "stationary". If you want it close enough to the planet for space vehicles or teleportation to transport people to the planet, then it needs to rotate around the planet. It would be a stable orbit, so it's not an issue for travelling to the planet, but it would rotate. In terms of having people arriving at the space port, I thought we had that be "magical" so that anybody could arrive, not just space-faring species.

To be fair, the distance to make an orbit geosynchronous would depend on the planet more than the satellite.  

Orbital equations are crap anyway.  Get beyond two bodies and no one has a damn clue and reverts back to Physics 101.  *gripe gripe gripe*  

1471_s.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users